Petrol or diesel

You can't compare the two - there is almost 100 horses and over 1 second to 60 difference between them.
It's like comparing a 50cc moped to your first 1lt car!

I get 23.5mpg mixed driving, but mostly around town with the occasional blast. I would imagine you'd get nearer double with a diesel.

I get 23.5mpg mixed driving, but mostly around town with the occasional blast. I would imagine you'd get nearer double with a diesel.
Not exaxctly a like for like comparison, but I came to my S4 from a B7 3.0TDi quattro automatic. I find a pretty reliable comparison is that in all driving modes, the S4 typically returns 10mpg less than the 3.0TDi did. So, on a motorway cruise 30-ish instead of 40-ish, and in mixed daily driving 25-ish rather than 35-ish.

Before I got my S4, I had a B8 3.0TDI, and for daily driving feel, the 3.0TDI is a better drive because it has so much torque low down in the rev range.
If you're looking for actual performance, stock for stock, the S4 is faster.
I'd imagine the A4 3.0TFSI compared to the 3.0TDI would be closer.

In terms of fuel consumption, there is no comparison, the diesel wins in every situation.

Not exactly the same.
But I went from a fairly tuned 2.5V6 petrol to a 2.5tdi Diesel. I MUCH preferred the low down grunt of the diesel to the petrol.

Not exactly the same.
But I went from a fairly tuned 2.5V6 petrol to a 2.5tdi Diesel. I MUCH preferred the low down grunt of the diesel to the petrol.
But what about the horrible noise and horrible smell?

Reactions: Chop., xpoweruk, RyanJonS4 and 1 other person
And the fact that short journeys kill them...part of the reason I stuck with petrol

You have to choose between Miles Per Gallon versus Smiles Per Gallon.

Torquey diesels are nice to drive but that is it for me.

Reactions: Dippy and xpoweruk
When you consider that spending 2 grand on a diesel will net over 100 Bhp on almost all models then it makes sense to drive one ! I had a 300 Bhp a6 2.5 tdi quattro which felt as pokey as my current audi s4 380 Bhp bar the top end- however it still did almost 170 Mph !
I just tuned a 2.0 PPD Tdi 170 Bhp a3 quattro and after fitting a gtb2056vk turbo, a DPF delete/3" downpipe, remap tweak and a few more mods and it took 2 car lenghts on a s3 from a rolling start up to 80 Mph ! Diesel engines are not smelly and ugly or agricultural anymore and if you follow Bobby Singh project 3.0 Tdi with just a few bolt on bits it dyno-ed to 420 Bhp with a very, very clean Lambda !!! Not bad from a slow revving DERV !

Reactions: xpoweruk
My last car was an Oettinger tuned B8.5 3 ltr Tdi A4. Great car but somehow for me it lacked the excitement the tuned S4 brings with it. Great not using much fuel in the Tdi, but I don't seem to mind feeding the S4 because it's so much fun. We also had a 3 ltr TFSI A4 Sedan here. These were dropped about the same time as the bigger diesels due to SUVs being more popular.

When you consider that spending 2 grand on a diesel will net over 100 Bhp on almost all models then it makes sense to drive one ! I had a 300 Bhp a6 2.5 tdi quattro which felt as pokey as my current audi s4 380 Bhp bar the top end- however it still did almost 170 Mph !
I just tuned a 2.0 PPD Tdi 170 Bhp a3 quattro and after fitting a gtb2056vk turbo, a DPF delete/3" downpipe, remap tweak and a few more mods and it took 2 car lenghts on a s3 from a rolling start up to 80 Mph ! Diesel engines are not smelly and ugly or agricultural anymore and if you follow Bobby Singh project 3.0 Tdi with just a few bolt on bits it dyno-ed to 420 Bhp with a very, very clean Lambda !!! Not bad from a slow revving DERV !

Very true,but if it is the supercharged 3.0 TFSI making big torque & power is only a map & pulley away.

Low down torque is plentiful also

WP 20151117 001

Do you really not get an A4 with a detuned 3.0tfsi?
Not in the UK. When I was choosing my new car, I didn't specifically set out to buy an S4. What I wanted was an A4 with a six-cylinder petrol engine. But that option hadn't been available since Audi dropped the 3.2VR6 from the range on the switch from B8 to B8.5 in 2012. So, S4 it was, and boy am I glad!

Very true,but if it is the supercharged 3.0 TFSI making big torque & power is only a map & pulley away.

Low down torque is plentiful also

View attachment 78948
You took a ride in the new bmw m6d ? 384 Bhp stock with 40 mpg average in a car that weighs 2.5 Tonnes and with euro 6 emmision compliance so DPF, EGR, etc. The new 3.0 BiTdi from audi is also pretty potent engine with just a map goes to almost 400 Bhp. Imagine what will do with a proper gtb3576klnvr ball bearing turbo and a pair of gtd2060vzk- triturbo setup as per the Tony Banks cummins setups ! Sadly there are no larger size injectors available just yet and the CR pumps are pretty maxed up at 2200 Bars to meet stringent emissions ! What a petrol turbo engine have over a diesel is revs although that can be addressed too, there is a chap in the states that spins it's 1.9 Tdi engine at over 8000 rpm's in his mk3 home built vw golf !
10 years ago if you had 500 Bhp you were the Man, nowadays you just buy a new car !

The point I was making is the easy tuneability of the 3.0tfsi.
if you do the pulley yourself you can be sorted for £1200 or so

I know how tuneable the 3.0 tfsi is, MRC does a few pulley conversions with the most extreme kit requiring water meth and aditional intercooling as egt's are going trough the roof ! Point is that 100 Bhp for £1500 is bloddy good value for money which ever way you look at it !

There is no disputing that you can make some beasts out of a TDI, but it is major surgery and many build threads I have seen end up with some form of catastrophic failure given time.
Plus you always have to keep telling people that it isn't just a normal diesel.

It cost me under £600 to gain 150BHP, inc intake, mapping and DIY of the pulley

Plus you always have to keep telling people that it isn't just a normal diesel.
I never had this issue, in fact I usually had to persuade people that it wasn't a petrol powered car.

330hp out of the 3.0TDI is easily achievable without too much spend. Basically tune, exhaust, intercooler and watermeth. This will get you low 13s 1/4mi with a manual and high 13s with tiptronic.

The only issue I had with my diesel was gearing, in that as you got to higher speeds, you would by the nature of the beast be in a higher gear than a petrol powered equivilent which straight away means less performance.

3.0 TSFI on a B8 only exist as a supercharged S4
They definately do exist, just not in the UK it seems.

Basically cost the same as the 3.0TDI but comes with a 200kW/400Nm (compared to the S4's 245kW/440Nm) engine.

audi%20B8%20range_zpszuthpyfo.png

Last edited:
This just comes down to what you want out of a car and if you do the mileage to justify a diesel.
Sure you can tune anything you want thats not the issue here.

In my case my car still returns 40mpg on a cruise which is nice considering the miles I do.

Cheers

Reactions: Chop. and xpoweruk
We were the same as viceroy. The 3 ltr Diesel and Petrols were dropped from the A4 range 2 years ago here thanks to peoples love affair with SUVs. My Tdi was about the last one off the rank. All A4s are 1.8 or 2 ltr here now.

Steady there, if I'm correct, the 3.2 was a V6 and no relation to the VW 3.2 VR6 - the Vee angle is different in the V6. I too never started off intending to buy a S4, I had a 2000MY 2.8 V6 Passat 4Motion (old Audi A4 B5 with cheaper clothes), so kind of found that a new Passat was just an inflated Goff, so chose to move to Audi to get a decent V6 petrol engine complete with 4WD. MPG for 3.2 Quattro were a bit serious, but the 3.0TFSI engine in the S4 gave more better MPG along with a lot more smiles!

The chief mechanic at Fontain told me a while back that when the A4 switched from B6 to B7, the 3.0 Audi V6 was swapped for the VW 3.2VR6. I can't swear it as gospel but that engine was also used in the A3 and TT.

Last edited:
@rum4mo, had a look on Wiki, and it looks like you're right and I'm wrong.

My bad. :)

Yes, the use of the VW VR6 engine in some (transverse engine) Audis causes a bit of confusion, the 3.0TFSI is a slightly smaller and simplified version of the original 3.2FSI engine - and it uses a lot less fuel and gives a lot more power.

VW mechanics, when I booked my 2000MY B5 Passat 4Motion in to get its cambelt changed at the local VW dealership, the service receptionist said "no, it has a chain" when I said no, it is the Audi 2.8 30V V6, he went off to get one of the senior VW mechanics, he repeated the same thing, I asked them to check up and sure enough my Passat had the Audi V6 engine (which I already knew), so they agreed to take it in to replace the cambelt - that didn't give me much confidence in that they knew what they were going to be doing though!

I've always taken the line, if I'm buying an Audi, I really do want an Audi engine in it - though in the past, buying a VW with an Audi engine and renamed Quattro 4WD system was also okay! Husband of a friend of my wife keeps buying A4 and A6 with VW TDI engines and gets annoyed when they fall to bits - I have tried to impress on him that seeing as he wants an Audi, finds the VW engines failing on him, maybe it is time to dig deeper into his pockets and buy an Audi with an Audi engine, but he still insists of buying more of the same.

Reactions: jdp1962