Petrol in Diesel Tank - Misfuelling

audiwaterpump

Hello
Apparently, there are about 140,000 cases per year where people are putting petrol in a diesel car.
It's easily done when not focusing. This will definitely scrap the high pressure fuel pump, and is an expensive fix.

Is there a cheap fix which prevents this from happening in the first place.
Presumably, some sort of nozzle adapter is required.

Your links and thoughts.
Thanks

RAF_S7

Gold Supporter
Google "Diesel only warning" :racer:

OliNix

I think it was Ford who invented a capless filler neck that will only open if the nozzle is the correct size (petrol is smaller than diesel). This is the most robust way.

There was a company on Dragons Den called The Fuel Angel. Who basically came up with a retrofitable solution. It has been on the market for quite a few years, but I have never actually seen one in the wild.

https://www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk

audiwaterpump

The audible devices help, but are not 100% fool proof.

The Fuel Angel seems more fool proof, but is a bit pricey.
Has anyone fitted one to their car?

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Guilty!
1.gif

I've done it! Shell V-power unleaded into an Audi A2 TDi - was OK for about 2-miles and then...
70.gif

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Aboy=ut
Kudos to you for admitting to the misfuelling.
How much was it to put it all right?

About £200 - and local to you; the service guy came from Stoke.

The tow home was FREE - less than 1-mile

Called a "Wrong Fuel in Car Service" next morning and the guy (from Stoke) came and siphon-drained my tank-full of my lovely Shell V-power unleaded and splash filled a couple of gallons of derv. Must say, first turn, and the A2 cracked up as though nothing untoward had just happened - and ran happily for some 15-months before selling on. Great car the Audi A2, no worries.

I now run a (diesel) Audi SQ5 Bi-TDI (along side our (petrol) RS3 and TT TFSi) and believe me I check and check again BEFORE taking hold of that "BLACK" pump handle for the SQ5
11.gif

audiwaterpump

But the cheapest and 100% sure way to prevent misfuelling is to remain firmly seated in the passenger seat :thumbs up:

CrazeUK

I thought all cars came with the cap to stop the mix up?

A long time ago I was told to occasionally add a tiny amount if petrol to a full tank. They said it would help clean the crud out. Acted like redex.

I did do it a few times to my old merc.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

EXSpartan36

VCDS Map User
I think it was Ford who invented a capless filler neck that will only open if the nozzle is the correct size (petrol is smaller than diesel). This is the most robust way.

I used to be a tech in a ford main dealer and 99% of the petrol in diesel cases that I done were actually ford management role cars. so I'm not surprised they decided to invent those caps.