Petrol in diesel car!

emery1990

Reaction score
My dads just got home said hes just put £30 of petrol in his tdi. I dont know what can be done other than maybe siphone loads out if its possible, or can you drain down the tank?

Also will it do any damage?

Hes an idiot! :applaus:

cheers

Generally a small amount of incorrect fuel should not damage the engine as long as you have not started the car and top up fully with diesel fuel.
  • If you've added more than 10% (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) petrol – Drain the tank and refill with diesel
  • If you've added less than 10% petrol (5 litres in a 50 litre tank) – Top up with diesel and run as normal

Last edited:
Did he drive the car home? He's an idiot if he did lol. What car is it? If you put a 1/4 tank of petrol in it, I'm sure you can fill the rest up with derv, and it should still run. Anymore though, I would try and siphon it out first.

Hes not happy after reading that. He drove about 5 miles in it to get home, but said it was only a bit spluttery at low speeds so maybe the petrol hadnt entered the fuel system 100% petrol yet.

Yer he drove it home lol. His friends done it twice and hes an ex mechanic and he just drained it out and put desiel init and it was ok.

Yer it probally isnt Pure petrol in the tank anyway.

Whys desiel called derv ?

Oh a Vw passat 09 plate.

Last edited:
I assume an 09 Passat would be a common rail engine?

If so it's my understanding that the injection pump of these runs at a VERY high pressure, and the lack of lubricant in the petrol will soon destroy the pump and all seals.

Tell him to get it recovered soonest!

One of my mates dad's put £10 worth of petrol in his brand new E-class, his first derv. Drove about 100m and realised, pulled over but the damage was already done.

Drain the tank, can damage injectors which aren't cheap.

Drain whole tank and refill with diesel.

Losing £30 is cheaper than replacing injectors....

i put a full tank of petrol in my TDI started and tried driving got about 3 miles and it cut out....oh no!!!!

got the AA to take me to a garage as they wanted £220 to drain the tank,

i got the tank drained, had a full flush through and changed the fuel filter cost me about £300 of my hard earned cash...not a good day, and i still get te p*ss ripped out of me!!

plus i lost a FULL tank of derv (not happy)

tell him to keep his chin up and get ready for the ripping in te local

I've NEVER done it to any car i've owned or driven, so i'm not sure what goes through peoples heads at petrol pumps. Do they not check what they're filling it with?

I've been confused at which side the filler is on a few times though

I've NEVER done it to any car i've owned or driven, so i'm not sure what goes through peoples heads at petrol pumps. Do they not check what they're filling it with?

I've been confused at which side the filler is on a few times though

This is common when one goes from owning petrol machines and purchasing a diesel as a replacement, or in my case, I was filling up at BP, and their petrol pumps are the same colour as the diesel pumps at other petrol stations, and I just went into auto pilot.