Petrol drinking

actualeddie

Reaction score
okay I put £50 of Vpower in my car about 1.49 per litre i think. This filled me up about half way if i remember right? ive done less than 40 miles and the lights come on and its about half way in the red.

Question is, is this wrong?

S3 (2000)
AMD remapped (previous owner)

Cheers

£50 from empty would get you just over the half tank at £1.49 a litre (60 litre tank iirc). essentially you've done 40 miles on say £35/40 of fuel. i'd say you've got a problem. leaky fuel tank or faulty fuel guage maybe??

I would say you have a problem of some sort... that works out at 5-6mpg?? have you been driving flat out everywhere? lol

In seriousness I would think you have an issue with the fuel sender.... I had a similar issue with my old A4... just past half a tank it would either drop to near nothing then spring back up to somewhere close to where it should be...

<tuffty/>

aww the poor things thirsty

fill a jerry can
keep driveing see what you get from your 50
and you have back up for when you run out

very thirsty lol. letting it run empty is bad for the engine though isnt it?

I thought fuel sender, i know my gauge can be funny. where is it?

Need to get it Vagcom'd quickly, just waiting for scoTTy to get back to me, hopefully meet him for a test.

Cheers

Tuffy, could this be linked with the o2 sensor problem?

Even decats are better than that right?

Last edited:
Tuffy, could this be linked with the o2 sensor problem?

Even decats are better than that right?

Not at 5mpg I doubt... fuel sender is part of the pump assembly and can be accessed from a panel under the rear seat (drivers side)

<tuffty/>

id get the car scanned and see what (if any) fault codes you get and take it from there.

Reactions: actualeddie
Just had a quick look, cant see any wiring problems or octopuses, am i right in thinking I have to clamp the blue or white tube before i can remove them?

I had a rotten fuel filter, but i would of thought you would smell the fuel plus the rate your losing it you would see trail behind you !

Just had a quick look, cant see any wiring problems or octopuses, am i right in thinking I have to clamp the blue or white tube before i can remove them?

No, don't clamp the plastic pipes... relieve fuel pressure in the engine bay first then un hitch the pipes on the pump...

<tuffty/>

know how im spending my morning tomorrow, ill replace the fuel filter, do halfords sell them? and check the fuel sender, anything I should look out for in the fuel sender?

I get 6mpg when I drove like I stole my s3!! Is this normal or am I getting told lies as well??

6mpg is disgraceful for any car...i had a range rover i used to redline everywhere and could not get worse than 11mpg also a 15 minute burn out/doughnuts of some tyres i disliked on 2.8 z3 returned 12 mpg...at 80%redline

I was getting 13mpg with a ****** egt sensor sorted that out and now im getting 25 - 28 with abit of motorway driving in my apr chiped amk

On a good motorway run I can get 40.2mpg (gf lives in Essex and I'm Milton Keynes so often see this figure) I hav to beat the **** out of the car for 6mpg so fort it was about right as I get 28mpg on short stop/start runs. Had the car mapped on the 27th of last month and all they said was suspect air mass and induction kit is on its last legs. Surely they would hav told me if I was over fueling???? Car put out 249.6hp and 279.6lb/ft @3950 rpm. They said I'm about 10bhp down due to air mass and ****e induction kit.