Petrol coming out of exhaust 1.6 BGU

Cliffy

Reaction score
No it isn’t water from condensation which seems to be the answer iv come across the most while scouring the net, it’s raw unburnt petrol and quite a lot of it, the only code I’m getting is P0304 cylinder 4 misfire I have changed the spark plug and ignition lead for cylinder 4 but hasn’t made any difference, what road would you guys recommend going down next? Any common fuelling or ignition faults on these engines? The car is on 90k

I'd look to get the injectors tested asap as it they're leaking or incorrect spray pattern this can cause the error.

Additionally, if it's unburnt fuel then I'd look at getting your valves walnut blasted, to remove the carbon. The valves may not be closing fully hence fuel leaking past.

Does this engine have separate coil packs, no 4 could be duff one. Apart from that Samuel above has the other possibilities.

I’m going to rule out the valves as the car has just had a new head gasket so when I took the head to be skimmed they pressure tested the valves and gave them the all clear. The car was showing a misfire on cylinder 4 before the head removal and I put it down to the coolant getting into that cylinder obviously that isn’t the case now.
Maybe the injectors is the way to go as the car ran out of fuel and went through 5 litres just idling on the drive in only a few minutes but again the car could be overfueling itself as I imagine the 02 sensor in the exhaust will be getting false readings.

the car doesn’t have individual coil packs for each spark plug but a distributor set up with ignition leads, is there a way to check is cylinder 4 is actually sparking?

If you have more coming out the back than you put in the front you are on to a winner :)

Reactions: NHN
Swap injectors around & see if the cylinder error moves.

Reactions: Cliffy
Remove no4 plug after a run and see if it's wet and black, then that's the faulty cylinder, most likely the injectorstuck open. Have all the injectors tested and cleaned at a Bosch Service Centre if they still exist or post/take them to an injector tester, plenty of them around, çheck on Google.
To test for spark, take out the plug, reconnect to ht lead and clip the threaded part to metal part of engine, start engine and you should see the electrode sparking. Best if someone helps to start the engine and you watch the plug.

Reactions: Cliffy and NHN