1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petrol cap issues

Starry Dec 4, 2018

1. Starry

Starry S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:

Recently when I go to fuel up I get out of the car and need to alarm and then disarm the alarm to open the fuel cap. Any ideas?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. ohmyaudi

ohmyaudi Member Team Brilliant Black Audi S3

I've had the same thing a few times. Had the car a year and never happened and then randomly one day I couldn't open it. I just have to press unlock on my key and then it pops open. Seems to only happen randomly.

4. Ron240

Ron240 Breaking the stereotype Team Ara Blue Gold Supporter Black Edition S3 Saloon

The fuel flap is linked to the central locking.....so yours seems to be randomly not working for some reason.
    Im assuming you have the auto lock function enabled, so have you tried to open it when you unlock the car for the first time before driving?

5. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

It’s the same thing that happens with most cars
    The actuator in the lock mechanism are known problems with these style of caps.
    If you look carefully there’s the bit that rotates when you lock/unlock. Dirt gets in there and it will stop turning and will be either stuck in a locked state or unlocked. That’s one way they break and the only way to open this is to force it open and break that clip that rotates. Had this happen to my a6 and the AA guy wanted me to sign a disclaimer to say if it damages the paint while he tries to wedge it open they will not take responsibility. Told him to leave it and let Audi sort it under warranty. The tech at Audi said that’s the only way if it breaks like that is to wedge it open.

The other way it breaks is the push and pop mechanism. If you push and it doesn’t pop then you might have a chance as there’s a red pull cord in the boot behind the cover. Pull that cord and it should release the cap.

Suppose third scenario is both breaks at the same time. Then you are stuck especially when low on fuel. Only way is to wedge it open with a wooden/plastic spatula so you don’t damage the paintwork.
    If it’s out of warranty I think the bits are like £25 to repair yourself.

Similar thing happened to my merc as well but luckily that was stuck unlocked.

Audi Bairn likes this.
  6. Andy Bam Bam

Andy Bam Bam New Member

Same thing happened to my Scirocco before I got the S3, found that a generous squirt of WD40 around the mechanisms to clean out the grit every now and again sorted the problem.

7. Starry

Starry S3 8V saloon... APR Stage 2....(-:

Ok, looks like a good clean would be my 1st job and then if it's still playing up then a new locking pin. Thanks guys:icon thumright:

8. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

It’s the whole black cover bit behind the flap that’s replaced not just the pin if I remember right. It’s all 1 piece.

Starry likes this.
  9. AlS3BE

AlS3BE Well-Known Member

Similar to this. Saw my mate do his a while ago.

Starry likes this.
  10. Jimbo10

Jimbo10 Active Member Team Daytona TFSI Owners Group S-line owners group

Really interested in this as I'm experiencing identical issues.

Keep us posted on how the cleaning goes. If you manage to take a few photo's as you go...you would be my new best friend

Starry likes this.
  11. Ormesome

Ormesome Well-Known Member TDi quattro S-line owners group S tronic Q2 owners group

mine did this for the entire 2.5yrs I had my A3. no problems at all. apparently the lock breaks in two ways. like this or just fails to open completely. only ever bothered me when I needed to put in fuel. when I got out of the car and the car was open I would have to take the key out of the car and unlock again, even though the whole car was locked. It really was no hassle, 1st world problem! I saw it as an extra line of safety!