Persuade me to jump ship from M135i BMW to Facelift S3!

Falmouthboy

Reaction score
So - first post here and the subject is self explanatory.

We currently have an M135i and are fairly loyal BMW customers. However we are now toying between a new M140i or a move to an S3 - 3 door. Interested to hear from anyone who has experience of both.

What with no brochure available yet and no configurator available, I'm somewhat working Blind but am open to persuasion. As with BMW, it seems that some obvious stuff is an extra and I need to get my head around what I want, but auto, cruise, interactive dash, front and rear sensors, folding mirrors are all 'musts'. Am I missing anything obvious?

Finally, what are the realistic discounts people are achieving?

Test drive an S3 and see if you like it. It's a very very different character to the 1 series, so having owned the M135i you may find its really not for you.

You'll trade outright power and helmsmithy rear drive frolics (and an inherent desire to plunge you backside first into the scenery judging by the number of ruined 1 series Beemers I see inpaled into the Armco) for a slightly more sophisticated car with a little less ASBO about it. You'll get an interior that's far nicer to sit in and doesn't look like it was designed by a six year old, but you'll have to live with a more benign and predominantly front drive feeling four wheel drive chassis.

And, people won't think you're a bell-end anymore. :wink:

[/anti BMW mode]

Reactions: Usman786, SW14NY'S, Goodfella74 and 8 others
I had a 64 Plate M135i for six months (huuuuge discounts meant I could get out of it fairly easily), and found my way into an S3.
Ultimately both are brilliant cars, so there it's not like there is a wrong choice.
The BMW has an engine with more character, steering with more feel (but not that much more imo, even though some people around here will say otherwise) and through fast bends the chassis is wonderful. No LSD means out of slow corners I felt it tie itself in knots though, and it rolls more than I'd choose. The BMW interior is better put together than the Audi I felt, but it's not a very exiciting place to be.

If you drive flat out everywhere both have shortcomings, if you drive sensibly both have shortcomings too. I tend to drive very sensibly for most of the time, with odd ten tenths blast, both which I think the Audi does better than the BMW did.

Slightly.

Reactions: Falmouthboy
Test drive an S3 and see if you like it. It's a very very different character to the 1 series, so having owned the M135i you may find its really not for you.

You'll trade outright power and helmsmithy rear drive frolics (and an inherent desire to plunge you backside first into the scenery judging by the number of ruined 1 series Beemers I see inpaled into the Armco) for a slightly more sophisticated car with a little less ASBO about it. You'll get an interior that's far nicer to sit in and doesn't look like it was designed by a six year old, but you'll have to live with a more benign and predominantly front drive feeling four wheel drive chassis.

And, people won't think you're a bell-end anymore. :wink:

[/anti BMW mode]

I had a brief drive in one the other week and as I'm no Lewis Hamilton found it a nice place to be and didn't find it too benign. Clearly before parting with £ I would want an extended test drive in a demonstrator to be sure. I agree with what you say about the interior. Audi have it by a country mile. I think owner reputation wise the Audi/BMW bell-end stakes are about even

Reactions: pburv and xpoweruk
OT - I'd say Audi (especially A4 and A6s TDIs in SE Spec) are top of the helmet-o-meter. You can almost feel their impotent rage building as they approach a roundabout, short dual carriageway section or a crawler lane :)

Reactions: glasgowdubber, Falmouthboy and pburv
OP; there`s one thing that the S3 will provide which can`t be provided by the BMW..........confidence in the wet !

Okay, I know I`ll probably get shot down for this, as we`re all petrol-heads on here, as we would be driving an S3, but let`s be honest here, for all the "feel", and the "dynamics of the drive", and all the "rear-wheel adjustability" that the BMW will give you, it will NOT give you the same confidence that the S3 will give you when it`s wet, or even damp, which, let`s face it, is around 85% of the year, no matter where you live in Britain...

Don`t get me wrong, I love BMW, (I`ve come from an E92 M3 to my S3), but the Audi does offer that extra stability, and thus an improved driving experience in poor conditions, that the BMW`s simply cannot get near !

Have a proper go in the S3, but just make sure you stick it in "dynamic" so you get the Sport activated on the S-tronic - it really does become a bit of animal then !

Enjoy.....:rock:

Reactions: SW14NY'S, S3 Turbo, Daveotto and 3 others
I had an m135i and now an S3.

Bmw engine is better and autobox is smoother in my opinion. Steering has more feel and driving position is slightly lower.

Build quaity of both is about the same.

Audi is better looking, more controlled suspension and much much more grip.

If they ever offered the 140i in xdrive..... I think I would give it a go as my next car. As long as its rwd only, I will stick with the s3. Its much much more useable in the real world that I live in!!!!

Reactions: Daveotto, Falmouthboy and Satory
If the M135i - or forthcoming M140i were x-drive, then as a drivers car, it would be the Beemer every time. But it isn't and that - together with the nicer cabin - is right where the S3 scores.

It's a shame as BMW. Do the x-drive versions in Europe just not here - and so are missing out on a large chunk of the market IMO.

I've just sold my S3 after 2 years, really enjoyed it, nearly bought an M135i as a replacement, had it been x-drive, probably would have for the change as the engine is better IMO. Instead I opted for an RSQ3, and am absolutely loving it.

Reactions: Daveotto, Falmouthboy, Satory and 1 other person
Hi Falmouthboy, recognise the name from babybmw forum.

I came to an S3 via 2 years in an M235i, not quite the same car as the 135 but if you drove them both blindfolded I doubt you'd know which one you were in.

I've read on this forum about the shortcomings of the S3s chassis but the M-lite had the same problems magnified. I was fed up with being bounced around in the cabin over uneven roads like a pea in a whistle. The S3 feels better composed, lighter and more agile. And I haven't even had the chance to drive it in the wet yet as it was stolen after 28 days.

I'm surprised others find the BMWs ZF auto smoother. Mine lurched 1/2 & 2/3 at light throttle & low revs. Plus around town it could not discuise the fact it was a slush box. The S3 has better throttle response low down as a result.

Steering - pushed to notice any difference.

Straight six sounds better of course, but it's hardly a Ferrari V12.

Interior quality better in the Audi, but BMs ergonomics and tech better to use.

Where the BMs was better is the pull above 4.5k revs. It kept you pressed in the seat to speeds well beyond the point the Audi had tailed off.

I changed because grandson number 2 is on the way, and look forward to driving it over cold damp roads, if forensics ever get their finger out and let me have it back. I must admit though, after 8 years in powerful RWD cars, l've still been driving it like one, throttling back on corners and such like.

Reactions: Usman786, Falmouthboy, Satory and 1 other person
Buy a S3 saloon simples..... Discounts on the facelift lift car at the moment are nominal 6- 8 % max,keep your BMW for another 7 months you'll get a better deal come then and you won't have to wait so long for delivery

Reactions: SW14NY'S, Falmouthboy, Satory and 1 other person
I had an m135i and now an S3.

Bmw engine is better and autobox is smoother in my opinion. Steering has more feel and driving position is slightly lower.

Build quaity of both is about the same.

Audi is better looking, more controlled suspension and much much more grip.

If they ever offered the 140i in xdrive..... I think I would give it a go as my next car. As long as its rwd only, I will stick with the s3. Its much much more useable in the real world that I live in!!!!

Thanks for this - great to hear from someone who has actually made the swap. A quick suspension question if you don't mind. Did your M135i have Adaptive suspension and does your Audi have Magnetic? Our M135i was bough having tried cars with both (we spend a lot of time on bumpy Cornish B roads and the Adaptive was a 'no brainer'), but that was as a £500 option rather than nearly £1000. The Audi dealership only has the one S3 demonstrator and that a cabrio (not sure until I ask which suspension option it has) and no used at the moment to try, so i won't get to do the like for like comparison this time.

Whilst we have always found the BMW very manageable (even in the wet) 4wd is certain one of the big attractions to me.

Reactions: pburv
Thanks for this - great to hear from someone who has actually made the swap. A quick suspension question if you don't mind. Did your M135i have Adaptive suspension and does your Audi have Magnetic? Our M135i was bough having tried cars with both (we spend a lot of time on bumpy Cornish B roads and the Adaptive was a 'no brainer'), but that was as a £500 option rather than nearly £1000. The Audi dealership only has the one S3 demonstrator and that a cabrio (not sure until I ask which suspension option it has) and no used at the moment to try, so i won't get to do the like for like comparison this time.

Whilst we have always found the BMW very manageable (even in the wet) 4wd is certain one of the big attractions to me.
S3 cabriolet has magride standard

Thanks - the dealer didn't have a hard copy. I'll try the configurator again - it wasn't working on Sat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The normal configurator (which is the newer one) doesn't work for S3 but the link I gave should. I've been using it to spec out my new S3 :)

As a drivers car the S3 has a great interior, I would take a few test drives before deciding for a S3 over the M135 - being in a much drier continent the benefits of a part time AWD system isn't appreciated here as it might be in Europe/UK.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and pburv
Surely having AWD is a bonus whichever climate you live in?:friends:

Reactions: H17YD L
Surely having AWD is a bonus whichever climate you live in?:friends:
when pulling up next to an AMG or HSV rwd drive on a wet day, the AWD is a bonus,:laughing: but on dry day I'll admit to having a preference for a rwd drive ( I grew up on large rwd V8s)

when pulling up next to an AMG or HSV rwd drive on a wet day, the AWD is a bonus,:laughing: but on dry day I'll admit to having a preference for a rwd drive ( I grew up on large rwd V8s)
Fair enough can't argue with that....V8's you lucky man...lol

Both of mine were/are standard suspension.

Apart from the fact that I got the back end stepping out too often, the biggest driver for getting rid of the m135i was the suspension. It was soooo bouncy and felt uncontrolled. There were several occasions where the car felt genuinely scary when pushing on - it was so twitchy with the suspension bounce.

The s3 is like chalk and cheese. It feels totally planted on the same roads. No dramas, no fuss, just the ability to carry speed without giving any cause for concern.

Funnily enough, there were several members on the babybmw.net forum that claimed not to have any suspension bounce issues with their cars.
Similarly, there are members on here that claim to have suspension bounce issues with their S3's.

Well, as Ive said. Ive found the m135i to be a serious handful when pressing on, but the S3 feels the total opposite.

Ive never looked back. I thoroughly enjoy my s3 and have now owned it for over a year.......thats territory only a few of my (and the wifes) 55 cars have made it into!!

Reactions: batch, Falmouthboy, Jassyo06 and 2 others
I had adaptive suspension on my M135i, and found the standard S3 suspension to be fairly comparable to it, with a little less roll. Both cars can get a bit excited over bumps to be honest, but offer similar comfort otherwise.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Satory
I had a m135 for 18 months,loved it,then bought a 3 door s3 and loved it more,now got a m3 f80 and get left standing by audi tdi's in the wet!

I had a m135 for 18 months,loved it,then bought a 3 door s3 and loved it more,now got a m3 f80 and get left standing by audi tdi's in the wet!
PMSL..... Class lol no doubt it was a tdi quattro??

Both of mine were/are standard suspension.

Apart from the fact that I got the back end stepping out too often, the biggest driver for getting rid of the m135i was the suspension. It was soooo bouncy and felt uncontrolled. There were several occasions where the car felt genuinely scary when pushing on - it was so twitchy with the suspension bounce.

The s3 is like chalk and cheese. It feels totally planted on the same roads. No dramas, no fuss, just the ability to carry speed without giving any cause for concern.

Funnily enough, there were several members on the babybmw.net forum that claimed not to have any suspension bounce issues with their cars.
Similarly, there are members on here that claim to have suspension bounce issues with their S3's.

Well, as Ive said. Ive found the m135i to be a serious handful when pressing on, but the S3 feels the total opposite.

Ive never looked back. I thoroughly enjoy my s3 and have now owned it for over a year.......thats territory only a few of my (and the wifes) 55 cars have made it into!!

Haa - you clearly have the same itchy feet syndrome as us - we are up there somewhere numbers wise too. Indeed at almost 2 years, the M135i is almost in new territory for us!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kugaman1
Just my tuppence worth,a couple of years ago there where some great personal leasing deals going on with 135I something around £270 X 23 months,£290 with the dct box,but l still couldn't find the attraction of this car,it's design is a bit of a hit or miss in my opinion so is the 2 series.
S3 with magride, sportback or saloon especially the forthcoming facelift is a far superior car inside and especially the exterior...it's a no brainer really

2 series looks better in my opinion, but this is my first hatchback and definitely the practicality is more important for me.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Just my tuppence worth,a couple of years ago there where some great personal leasing deals going on with 135I something around £270 X 23 months,£290 with the dct box,but l still couldn't find the attraction of this car,it's design is a bit of a hit or miss in my opinion so is the 2 series.
S3 with magride, sportback or saloon especially the forthcoming facelift is a far superior car inside and especially the exterior...it's a no brainer really
Just to add a little more on that one jassy..
My boss who has absolutely no interest in cars at all(I know not human)...Told me when I was thinking of getting a one series that it was the ugliest car he has ever seen..That alone persuaded me against getting one...:blink:

Just to add a little more on that one jassy..
My boss who has absolutely no interest in cars at all(I know not human)...Told me when I was thinking of getting a one series that it was the ugliest car he has ever seen..That alone persuaded me against getting one...:blink:
I think the face-lifted 1 series 3 door hatchback, looks really good. Also the 4dr not bad

21b2aaee56a385ea91492db5fef25b51.jpg

I think the face-lifted 1 series 3 door hatchback, looks really good. Also the 4dr not bad

Funny that as it was the older shape that initially interested me..When it actually came to looking for a new one I didn't really take a liking to the face lift version...Each to there own I suppose...:friends:

It's so disproportionate in its design and them alloys look low rent and too small, sorry its side profile reminds of a Chelsea boot lol
I would rather have a golf GTI or a Seat cupra 290 R....if the S3 was out of my budget

It's so disproportionate in its design and them alloys look low rent and too small, sorry its side profile reminds of a Chelsea boot lol
I would rather have a golf GTI or a Seat cupra 290 R....if the S3 was out of my budget
I prefer my A3 s-line hatchback, but everybody has different tastes, but I don't think it looks bad by any means or its a bad design. The A3 is a bit more conservative in its design, and that's what I like.

On the other hand the 2 series looks so good, and sporty that makes me want to lose the practicality of the hatchback and the classy desing.

Both brands are on top of their game on this segment.

PMSL..... Class lol no doubt it was a tdi quattro??
No,all tdi's leave me for dust in the wet.bmw m3,50 grand car for dry use only!....Yes,i know,should have bought an RS3 lol.

Reactions: pburv and Jassyo06
I'm 3 months into owning my S3 saloon, honestly if I could go back in time I would buy a M235i instead. Nothing wrong with the S3 I just prefer the coupe looks.

I have got an M2 on order (long wait), but could be persuaded by an M240i if its available with x-drive.
Still not ruled out a Cayman.....or even an RS3 yet. Will decide later in year.