Perspex window thickness

Drue1

Reaction score
I'm looking into some plastic Perspex sheets to do my windows but I don't know weather to go for 1 or 2mm thickness
what do you guys think ?
cheers Stewart

4mm is MSA requirement. 5mm is FIA requirement for international stuff.

Certainly whatever you do don't buy 1 or 2mm!

1-2 mm!!!!
Would sound like you had rolf harris and his wobble board in the back!!!

Reactions: ADs3, Mrharris2, Machine212 and 2 others
...that's what she said

:undwech:

too soon?

Reactions: Mrharris2
I had 5mm on my old civic ek4 vti you can curve it pretty well, then pilot drill the Perspex and sat on bead on soufix silicone using self tappers or tek screws to fit it tight and secure. That was a track car so I didn't care about looks it was Matt black lol.

Noise wasn't too bad, a lot lighter than glass!

Sean

might have some spare jigsaw blades for perspex if you need them too? i assume your making your own? just remember to put tape over where your cutting and cut SLOW else itl crack! i scrapped two windows being impatient

Pretty much what they said, 4 or 5mm is the norm for side/rear windows. 1 or 2 is too thin really, unless it's being heavily curved.

The best method of cutting it I've found's a router, although that's with polycarbonate. (I'd definitely recommend using polycarbonate (lexan) not actual perspex as it's much less brittle.)

Personally, if you're ever going to leave the car in a public place I'd want 4mm minimum and bonded to the shell, not just fitted in the rubber seals.

That's why I've posted up to get people's info on thickness
Cheers guys least I know what to order :)
Back window is going to be tricky with the curve

Definitely polycarbonate you can cut it with a jigsaw router etc... drill any fixing holes slightly oversize as the plastic contracts and expands. And sicoflex to bond it. Used it my old rally car to great effect. 4 mm should follow the curves quite well

Definitely polycarbonate you can cut it with a jigsaw router etc... drill any fixing holes slightly oversize as the plastic contracts and expands. And sicoflex to bond it. Used it my old rally car to great effect. 4 mm should follow the curves quite well

Thanks very much

Not sure if any interest to anyone in this thread?

I have now found a supplier of thermoformed windows with black borders for a reasonable price.

I have set up a group buy with intents we need to source 5 or more kits to make the prices quoted, if we make substantially more i may be able to negotiate a higher discount level.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...ther-models-also-welcome.362987/#post-3197079