Personal Plates

Are Personal Plates worth bothering with

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've got PP on all three of my cars, but all three of them are pre 1963 style - i.e. no suffix letter.
On the Ibiza and the Speedster, they are 3 letter and 3 numbers, and on the S3 4 numbers and 1 letter (single letter plates are quite rare these days).
They don't really mean anything to me, just something a bit different, and something I intend to keep.

Rick Glover said:
Does any nice motor? (Only asking!!)

:hubbahubba:

I cringe when I see a nice motor without a private plate.
It smacks of penny-pinching, IMO.
Like having designer clothes with cheap shoes.

bowfer said:
I cringe when I see a nice motor without a private plate.
It smacks of penny-pinching, IMO.
Like having designer clothes with cheap shoes.

I'd sooner tick a few more options boxes, why have something that you don't want ? Nothing to do with penny pinching at all. IMHO. Don't want designer clothes either! (and I don't have a DSG gearbox!!):hubbahubba:

TT
R

Just seems daft to me, to have spent £90k on a car then leave a plate which clearly states the age on.
IMO, cars like that should be 'ageless'.
Which means a personal plate.
It needn't be expensive.
You can get private plates for under £100 (can't see you ticking many options boxes for that)
Even if it's some cheap Irish one that says EKZ4785, or whatever, it gives the car that 'ageless' look.
To me, leaving a plain old plate on an Aston Martin/Porsche/whatever is the equivalent of wearing Hi-tec trainers with a Gaultier suit.:puke2:
BTW, I don't swallow your "don't want designer clothes either"
Your car collection screams that design/badge/fashion is all important.

bowfer said:
Just seems daft to me, to have spent £90k on a car then leave a plate which clearly states the age on.
IMO, cars like that should be 'ageless'.
Which means a personal plate.
It needn't be expensive.
You can get private plates for under £100 (can't see you ticking many options boxes for that)
Even if it's some cheap Irish one that says EKZ4785, or whatever, it gives the car that 'ageless' look.
To me, leaving a plain old plate on an Aston Martin/Porsche/whatever is the equivalent of wearing Hi-tec trainers with a Gaultier suit.:puke2:
BTW, I don't swallow your "don't want designer clothes either"
Your car collection screams that design/badge/fashion is all important.

What's wrong with old cars, have a few of them too! Kept original plates. Most people I know buy Audis cos they go well, hold their value, look good (espec in Black)

BTW I have to wear a b* suit to work (M&S) and dress down out so no designer clothes here mate or BMW badges!! Ask the missus.. :noway:

TT
R

Mine was a 21st birthday present (which I chose). In my opinion it's better than a watch/ring/etc... which can get scratched/damaged/lost. It's virtually impossible to lose the right to the registration unless you are completely careless.

I must admit though, it's a right pain in the **** when it comes to changing cars as it costs £100 to transfer the plate plus weeks of messing about filling in forms and sending things off.

I still love my plate though!!

Rick Glover said:
BTW I have to wear a b* suit to work (M&S) and dress down out so no designer clothes here mate or BMW badges!! Ask the missus.. :noway:

TT
R

M&S do alright suits, i wore one to 6th form haha.

Could be worse.

..Could be Primark.

AND. why would designer clothes indicate BWM badges..? are you saying BMW drivers have more pride in their appearance..?

I don't wear designer clothes, other than my footwear, maybe jeans, ok maybe tee's too. and jackets i suppose. and i do have a bright orange omega watch.

BUT other than that.. i <3 H&M and topman.

Sam-K said:
M&S do alright suits, i wore one to 6th form haha.

Could be worse.

..Could be Primark.

AND. why would designer clothes indicate BWM badges..? are you saying BMW drivers have more pride in their appearance..?

I don't wear designer clothes, other than my footwear, maybe jeans, ok maybe tee's too. and jackets i suppose. and i do have a bright orange omega watch.

BUT other than that.. i <3 H&M and topman.

IMHO if you visit Bristol BMW many customers dress in the same colour designer clothes as their cars (gold, yellow and bright blues)... Very nice, but not for me I'm a Grumpy Old Man which is why I stick to Black or Dark Blue perhaps to match the Audis!! I think I have good taste others will disagree!!

TT
R:jump:

Sam-K said:
I don't wear designer clothes, other than my footwear, maybe jeans, ok maybe tee's too. and jackets i suppose.
so basically your saying you wear designer clothes but you don't :wtf:

personal plates are an extravagance/luxury/mod if you have money and want one I cannot see the problem

I inherited my plate from my dad when he died 3.5 years ago, mum decided to give it to me. He'd always been indifferent about private plates, but when he bought a new car in time for the Y-reg era he decided to throw caution to the wind and get Y1 *** with the stars being his initials. It was the last of that style of registration and the number 1 is always the highest demand so he was lucky to get it. I keep it because it has immense sentimental value and would be proud to display it on a Lada if I had to!!

As with all things in life, there are people that will & wont like certain things, private plates are just another example!

Nickynibbles said:
I inherited my plate from my dad when he died 3.5 years ago, mum decided to give it to me. He'd always been indifferent about private plates, but when he bought a new car in time for the Y-reg era he decided to throw caution to the wind and get Y1 *** with the stars being his initials. It was the last of that style of registration and the number 1 is always the highest demand so he was lucky to get it. I keep it because it has immense sentimental value and would be proud to display it on a Lada if I had to!!

As with all things in life, there are people that will & wont like certain things, private plates are just another example!

Here here!:jump:

voorhees said:
so basically your saying you wear designer clothes but you don't :wtf:

yeah ummm. i'm gonna go with a 50/50 designer/non designer mix here.

but i always think people should buy expensive shoes.

for example. you can get these white plimsol things in river island for like 20 quid. but i get similar ones from schuh for about 70. you can wear crap clothes but have really good shoes and a nice watch and still look good..i reckon.

my S4 came with a private plate (S7 ...), the previous owner was taking ages getting it transferred so the dealer eventually gave him £250 for it so I could have the car. Not really bothered about it but it means nothing to me so might try and sell it and put the original X plate back.

s4mark said:
my S4 came with a private plate (S7 ...), the previous owner was taking ages getting it transferred so the dealer eventually gave him £250 for it so I could have the car. Not really bothered about it but it means nothing to me so might try and sell it and put the original X plate back.

I don't blame you, it's money in the bank or the holiday fund. I like my motors original but am in a minority it seems on this Blog!!
TT
R:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

marriedblonde said:
If you have seen it you'll know what I am on about then!

J.

Cant remember everything clarkson said but presume he went on about private plates then!

Not really a fan of PPs, but I agree with Bowfer - you would expect to see them on top-end cars. I sometimes see a Dodge Viper in our town with the plate V1 PER which is just perfect for the car.

But they are a waste of money really.

:noway:
benw123 said:
Not really a fan of PPs, but I agree with Bowfer - you would expect to see them on top-end cars. I sometimes see a Dodge Viper in our town with the plate V1 PER which is just perfect for the car.

But they are a waste of money really.

Does anyone own P 8 SER with the mounting bolt making the 8 look like an O ??:noway:

Nickynibbles said:
Cant remember everything clarkson said but presume he went on about private plates then!

LOL...no he went on about having to dress right for the car, took ages to choose his clothes, cuff links, sun glasses etc so he had the right look for the car.

J.

marriedblonde said:
LOL...no he went on about having to dress right for the car, took ages to choose his clothes, cuff links, sun glasses etc so he had the right look for the car.

J.

Well JC is a bit of a Tory isn't he!:sorry:

My point was in regard to the comments about how people with BM;s dress to match their cars ;)

Thanks for the post on BMW-sport by the way :) I'll stick to the lesser handling, uglier z4 coupe thanks :)

J.

marriedblonde said:
My point was in regard to the comments about how people with BM;s dress to match their cars ;)

Thanks for the post on BMW-sport by the way :) I'll stick to the lesser handling, uglier z4 coupe thanks :)

J.

I hope you will be back to Audi one day. Your Z4 looks OK but not for me!

TT
R

PS Is that Basingstoke in the pictures?:hi:

I used to work in basingstoke until MArch this year but it is loval to me down in hedge end.

And yes there is a very good chance I will be back in an audi later this year :) But it will be a brief affair of 12months I would have thought and then back in another beemer.

J.

marriedblonde said:
I used to work in basingstoke until MArch this year but it is loval to me down in hedge end.

And yes there is a very good chance I will be back in an audi later this year :) But it will be a brief affair of 12months I would have thought and then back in another beemer.

J.

HAve been doing at least 150 miles a day for last year, looked at Beemers as a friend has a 330 ci Cab (nice) Not conviced about (a) Build Quality, (b) Residuals (c) Image (d) Performance (e) handling (f) the awful dealers here in/near Bristol (g) Not being let out in traffic (h) I won't go on... On the contrary all with Audis and their local dealer is fine!!! (and I am a fussy ******):icon_thumright:

And thats the opposite of what I found! The Audi dealers are terrible both local to me and in basingstoke. Although the basingstoke Audi dealer was brilliant when I used it for servicing! My local bm dealer was brilliant, very helpful even down to the point of calling when they said they would (minor point but Audi didn;t). Also when I had my MCS the service department was great as well.

Residuals wise we will have to wait and see, my audi was cr4p so doubt they will be worse, servicing costs were higher in the audi than the beemer and so far the build quality of the Z is a lot better. 25K miles down and not a problem, no squeak!

But I did look at the TT when I was looking for a new car and the Z was the better car for me, ok so I only have 2 seats but I have a bigger boot, economy is not too bad and the handling is fantastic and I love RWD.

Image is very subjective. Both Audi and BM suffer with a negative image although I know there are a lot of BM haters out there but I dont have any problems pulling out of junctions or being let out on the MW to over take.

Horses for courses I guess :)

J.

i have one it starts B8 and *** no real secret to what it is, my initals. i got it many years ago as a nice toch to my car's iv owned as i look after them very well and im proud to have them, Iv had many a nice car to place it on from BMW's, merc's, Porker, Ford's, VW's and now an Audi, I do feel its a personal touch, some people slate them, but you find they are the ones who i cant say cant afford them but you can say are fussy where they may spend there money, Not tight, but calculate where that £250+ could rather be spent, Im the sort of guy who buys stuff on the moment if it feels right,

marriedblonde said:
And thats the opposite of what I found! The Audi dealers are terrible both local to me and in basingstoke. Although the basingstoke Audi dealer was brilliant when I used it for servicing! My local bm dealer was brilliant, very helpful even down to the point of calling when they said they would (minor point but Audi didn;t). Also when I had my MCS the service department was great as well.

Residuals wise we will have to wait and see, my audi was cr4p so doubt they will be worse, servicing costs were higher in the audi than the beemer and so far the build quality of the Z is a lot better. 25K miles down and not a problem, no squeak!

But I did look at the TT when I was looking for a new car and the Z was the better car for me, ok so I only have 2 seats but I have a bigger boot, economy is not too bad and the handling is fantastic and I love RWD.

Image is very subjective. Both Audi and BM suffer with a negative image although I know there are a lot of BM haters out there but I dont have any problems pulling out of junctions or being let out on the MW to over take.

Horses for courses I guess :)

J.

Used to live in Camberley and found garages around Surrey Hants Sussex, not so helpful (probably cos I have no PP!) Generally found sales staff to be disinterested and '*****'. West Country dealers much better, Use Bristol Audi now as have good relationship with the big cheese. Also good are Bath, Swindon, Taunton and Worcester IMHO. :icon_thumright:

Interesting, over half of people are either Maybe or no way. Seems a high number of PP fans IMHO. I don't know of one Audi owner with a PP!!! (and I know a few!) . I wonder what the age of the vehicles are?:Flush:

TT
R

LottieA3 said:
Do you think I'd get away with: CU9C4KE5 ... lol :hubbahubba: just kidding ... obviously!

You would probably get AR35TED:hubbahubba: by the POL 16 E !!

LottieA3 said:
Do you think I'd get away with: CU9C4KE5 ... lol :hubbahubba: just kidding ... obviously!
You could go for B16 CUP as a reference to either the fact some of your cakes are quite large or to your womanly fun bags!!!:hubbahubba:

LottieA3 said:
LOL...probably...anyway RGBAgee who are you? You're quite funny (in a ha ha sort of way) :icon_thumright: :hi: :icon_thumright: :rockwoot: :friends:

Just some chap from the SW who likes Audis!:hubbahubba:

LottieA3 said:
Cool :icon_thumright: I'm off to the SW next Tuesday. Can't wait.

Make sure you try the scrumpy! but not when you're driving or making cup cakes!!

TT
RG:icon_thumright: