Performance probs after fitting EGR blanking plates

tuffguy

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]2006 Audi A4 B7 2.0TDI[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I wonder if anyone can help?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yesterday, I had the EGR valve blanked off using two blanking plates.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The chap that did the work is a mate that works for Audi. Admittedly, he had not performed this mod before but obviously knows where everything is, etc. Anyway, he blanked off the EGR valve and I gave the inlet manifold a thorough clean.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Once the work was done, I drove off for a test drive. The engine warning light appears on the dash but I was half-expecting that, from having read all of the various threads about EGR blanking/delting.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The real concern for me is that the car’s performance has taken a turn for the worse. The turbo doesn’t kick in for a lot of the time when accelerating. It comes on now and again but it is intermittent. I’m not sure but I think the car may be going in and out of ‘limp home’ mode.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I spoke with my mate about the problem and we think the light on the dash and the performance issue are related. He thinks it may have something to do with the MAF sensor but we aren’t sure.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I’ve read on the threads about EGR blanking that you should also remove and block a hose vac that connects from the EGR valve to a solenoid. However, on my car I couldn’t locate such a vac hose. The only vac hose I could find was connected to the turbo actuator front left of the engine cover. However, blocking this made no difference.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am loathe to pay a tuning company money for diagnosing the problem and cancelling the dash light if some kind soul out there could perhaps advise further, preferably someone with an A4 B7 TDI.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Many thanks,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dave[/FONT]

Hi everyone,

I have an update....

I asked Superchips if they could write in an EGR delete into my remap. They charged me £50 plus VAT and promptly sent me the new map. I used my Bluefin device to d/load the new map to my car.

The engine warning light disappeared but the car was still going in and out of Limp Home Mode (LHM). Next day, I started the car up and the light was back on the dash

I emailed Superchips, who are very helpful, to be fair. They mailed me back saying that the fault code would need to be cleared and the EGR delete in the mapping would prevent the light from reoccuring.

Anyway, I located someone locally with VAG com. This chap scanned for fault codes and there was just the one showing:
1 Fault Found:
001027 - EGR Valve (N18): Malfunction
P0403 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100000
Fault Priority: 0

Fault Frequency: 4
Mileage: 88859 km
Time Indication: 0

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 798 /min
Speed: 1.0 km/h

Duty Cycle: 84.4 %
Voltage: 13.76 V
Mass Air / Rev.: 480.0 mg/str
Duty Cycle: 41.4 %
Bin. Bits: 00000000

The fault code was promptly cleared and fingers crossed!
I got back into my car, started it up and drove off. Right
away, I could tell that the car was in LHM even though the
light had gone. We tried to clear further EGR fault codes
but it looks like they keep coming back

I don't understand, as once the fault code is cleared, the
ECU should now not be able to 'see' the EGR valve because it
has been deleted out in the remap.

I AM STUMPED!!!

I've already asked my mate to remove the blanking plates this
weekend and I just don't think you can do this on the B7/later
models.

However, I would love for someone to let me know if they have
had any success with blanking the EGR on the later 2.0TDI.

Thanks,
Dave

hi mate did you sort out the problem? what engine code do you have? ive got a bpw engine code and looking to delete the egr but they dont make a pipe so am goner have to use the plates and leave the egr on the car and get it mapped out. this is pretty much what you have done? did you remove the cooler aswell?

Hi I've also got the BPW engine, would be great to know if you solved this and how?

Best speaking to Rick at Unicorn Motor Developments he's on the forum, he did dpf/egr delete and remap for me and it's spot on :cool:

Tuffguy I seem to be having exactly the same problems after fitting the plates, did you finally get it fixed?