Peeling Paintwork

scanerack

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've been reading this forum for about a year but have only just registered.

I've got a 2000 W A4 (B5) 1.8 T Sport Quattro in azure blue. Apart from a couple of minor paint issues it's in mint condition.

Over the last four weeks I've noticed that the paint has been peeling off on the bootlid, just where the plastic trim housing the registration light meets the bootlid. It's happening at either end (left and right sides). I've got photos but don't have a website to put them onto yet.

The laquer has peeled off about 14mm leaving the paint. Now the paint is beginning to peel off revealing the undercoat/galvanising over an area about 3mm x 4mm.

I've got six months Audi approved warranty left but it doesn't cover paintwork, also the original Audi warranty only covers paintwork for three years, and rust for 12 years.

Has anyone else had the same problem and if so were they successful in getting Audi to carry out the work?

Cheers guys

Alan

I have an 1999 T-reg A4, which shows similar symptoms, mainly along the doors & wings, where the rubbing strips attach. Obviously mine is a couple of years older, but the thing is that mine has had fair amount of re-spray work after a crash repair.

Have you any reason to suspect that this might not be the original finish and perhaps, like mine, you've got a crash-repaired car, where the re-sprayed finish is not all it should be?

Jeff,

Not to my knowledge. The car came with a full HPI / insurance history check, and this showed no work had been done through insurers. The previous owner had all service work done in the Audi dealer I bought the car from so it all seems good.

There's no sign of overspray anywhere on the car. I'm just not happy with the paint peeling back to the bare metal on a 5 yr old Audi !

Maybe need to get a quote to get the work done and take it from there.

Cheers

Alan

Mclean, I have exactly the same problem (mines a 99 V) both ends of the trim.

I've thought about approaching Audi with this, but as yet have doen nothing.

Kev.

Kev,

This is interesting. It can't just be the two of us.

Has yours corroded at all yet?

Have you touched it up or done any cosmetic work to reduce the effect?

Maybe I should move the discussion to the A4 B5 forum?

Cheers

Alan

I'll take a pic and post if I can manage it before I go away.

To me it looks like the paint has bubbled and there is alittle corrosion that can be seen where small bits have flaked away, I've not touched it at all.

I did wonder if this was a wide spread problem (only as it has happend at both ends as opposed to only in one place) but just have never got round to sorting it yet.

Kev.

That to me looks like a peeling respray in the pic m8,usually due to miosture or poor prep at panel level.

I am sure i will be corrected if wrong

Yeah i have the exact same problem on my 1999 a4. And it was only last week when i went to an audi repair centre (in hull) to see if it would be covered by their warranty. But unfortuneatly it wasn't, as mclean said, the paintwork is only covered for 3 years.

The guy i spoke to had seen and repaired a few a4's with the same problem, but apparently all were within the 3 year warranty period, he was happy to quote £300 to repair it though. This quote included a new "number plate light" strip, which he reckoned was made from alloy and was corroding. After he said that i switched-off and couldn't be ***** to push him any further on doing the work as "good-will".

I would like to talk to another dealer or perhaps audi uk, but i feel the response will be the same, and my case to repair it is pretty weak, afterall the cars is 6 years old now.

You guys should go see audi too, the problem does seem common and they are aware of it, so maybe you'll get lucky?

Thanks dog. Seem I'm not the only one unfortunately.

Maybe go in to Glasgow Audi tomorrow, although it sounds like I would need to put up with a long fight to even get them to meet part of the cost.

If I make it in I'll let you know how it goes. I need to see them about another problem anyway, which should hopefully be covered by warranty. The drivers chair rocks back slightly. The front mounting point seems to lift about 4mm, which is a lot at the headrest (about 10mm)by the time the chair pivots.

Cheers

Alan

Modern paint/bodywork warraty's are either 6 or 12 years for Audi, but back in 99 they were only 3 so I'm led to believe.

Kev.

ok, so the paint starts to peel, what if it then starts to rust? Is it then covered by the corrosion warranty?

You can add me to the list of flaking laquer/paint condition of the paint which is also peeling around the boot lid handle, around the badges, side strips on the doors and side indicators. I have however managed to polish most of it out using light pressure as heavy pressure made it worse. Funnily enought mine is also a 99.5 A4. Didn't realise is was such a widespread problem, has anyone contacted Audi UK with regards to this problem? Perhaps if we get enough people and with the backing of this forum, Audi UK may listen to us.

We did this on the Fiat Coupe forum when I had a Fiat Coupe 20VT regarding crack manifold problems on post 2000 cars. Fiat UK eventually confirmed that the manifolds could be replaced by Fiat dealers as a goodwill gesture.

The 10 year rust warranty won't cover that as it only covers rust that starts from the inside of the panel and rusts through to the outside.

You should be able to get that sort of damage touched in by Chips away for ~ £80 - 100.

Still worth trying Audi first just in case they decide to be nice and fix it.

Sorry mate, been away in Budapest and it's been mad since I got back...

By the end of the week, I'll get it done.

BTW I gave the car a good clean and polish over the weekend. Under the bubbling paint, rust is starting to smile through.

Kev.

I took the car into a local bodyshop today whom I've used before and trust their work.

First comment was... (guess)

Looks like it's been resprayed in the past!

Anyway, they took a closer look at it and reckon that it's all original, however only way to tell is to get a paint depth measuring device on it. They want about £350 to do the boot in it's entirity.

I'll call the dealership tomorrow and see what warranty is applicable to a car built in '99.

I'll let you know.

Kev.

So just to tidy this up, all '99 cars suffering the same problem:

McLean
Jdp1962
Me - Kev
Bloke654
Dog
JonC
Low610

Thats seems alot of people to have had bad resprays!

Kev.

[ QUOTE ]

McLean
Jdp1962
Me - Kev
Bloke654
Dog
JonC
Low610

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the other guys but mine's deffo had a bad respray. On the other hand, mine's not actually peeling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

McLean
Jdp1962
Me - Kev
Bloke654
Dog
JonC
Low610

Kev.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't speak for the other guys but mine's deffo had a bad respray. On the other hand, mine's not actually peeling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, meant to say, it's not peeling on the boot. The peeling on mine is along the doors & wings, by the rubbing strips.

hi guys, i hav this with the laquer and paint on my front bumper and peeled off the bubbling laquer and went over it very smoothly with T-cut and then gave it a few layers of wax... not sure if its similar to wat is happening to u but short term it has seemed to have sealed it and made it un-noticable.

Most of the posts have disappeared /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Forgot to speak to the dealer about it today... next time.

Kev.