Pedal box worth it?

I have the pedalbox+ on my S3 and I think it's great. It almost feels like a remap tbh.
I was sceptical at first but from the moment I took the car out, I was grinning from ear to ear. That slight pause at the bottom of the pedal travel is gone and you can turn each mode up or down to your tastes.
I would definitely recommend one.
Ignore that inflated rrp though as I think it's usually around £199 for the pedalbox and £229 for the pedalbox+

Definitely worth it, however I'd suggest the Pedal Box PLUS which is the unit I have experience with.

Totally transforms the car, feels so much quicker even though it hasn't altered power, just throttle mapping. The guys at DTUK are superb and always there to assist. Very friendly bunch. Product can be fitted within 2 minutes by yourself and have many mappings to suit. Can also be changed on the fly too which is always a bonus.

https://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/product/dtuk-pedal-box-plus-363/

Agreed about the pedalbox+
Looks better too and matches the interior trim

Attachments

• 20171027_122148-3024x2268.jpg
    20171027_122148-3024x2268.jpg
    923.5 KB · Views: 1,460
The pedal box + is a refinemnt on the original, not only does it look nicer but I believe they have sorted the clip out to now match the OEM unit at the actual pedal, so much easier to uninstall.

Its a great bit of kit from DTUK. As others have said Andrew and the guys are very friendly chaps and their products continue to evolve.

Go for it... but have a read of the review first

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/thread...de-–-audi-s3–-users-view.272708/#post-2808522

Regds
Jungle

Reactions: NevMan
1000000000000% worth it, transforms the car. I use the TMC Motorsport myself as its set and forget and much cheaper than the DTUK. Nice and small also :)

16903323 1107273449417912 5033243190249071004 o

Reactions: NevMan and T-800
I have the DTUK pedalbox . Found it a great improvement over the standard throttle response. Looks pretty cool too. I paid £205.95 for mine .Easy to fit , plenty of different modes or levels of throttle response. Worth the money in my opinion.

So does this simply mean you need less throttle to actually get to say for example what used to be 50%? You may now need 40% pedal depression only?

If not, if there's more to it... How can it actually 'remove' delay? Surely an extra box in the process can only add delay if anything?

It's a very interesting concept

So does this simply mean you need less throttle to actually get to say for example what used to be 50%? You may now need 40% pedal depression only?

If not, if there's more to it... How can it actually 'remove' delay? Surely an extra box in the process can only add delay if anything?

Hi @azibux1 The pedal box tricks the car into giving you more power with less throttle input. So full throttle is still full throttle that doesnt change. However for example 20% throttle is anywhere from 20% to 40% depending on the settings used.. 30% throttle, anywhere between 30 and 65% and so on. So the box doesnt give you more power, it just enables you to access it quicker. Read my thread in the link above and hopefully you will see what I and others are trying to convey.

I originally wasnt convinced, but I love mine and its on 90% of the time. So much customisation based on what you want and so simple to fit.

Regds
Jungle

Reactions: NevMan and azibux1
Hi @azibux1 The pedal box tricks the car into giving you more power with less throttle input. So full throttle is still full throttle that doesnt change. However for example 20% throttle is anywhere from 20% to 40% depending on the settings used.. 30% throttle, anywhere between 30 and 65% and so on. So the box doesnt give you more power, it just enables you to access it quicker. Read my thread in the link above and hopefully you will see what I and others are trying to convey.

I originally wasnt convinced, but I love mine and its on 90% of the time. So much customisation based on what you want and so simple to fit.

Regds
Jungle
Thanks I will check it out, I missed that link. Like I say it does sound like quite an interesting product for a decent price!

Basically it works on the principle of asking for ‘more’ earlier

So if the pedal is saying 5% please the pedal box is saying no actually I’ll have 15% please.

Very effective at removing that 1” of ‘dead’ feeling from the pedal.

Reactions: DJAlix
Basically it works on the principle of asking for ‘more’ earlier

So if the pedal is saying 5% please the pedal box is saying no actually I’ll have 15% please.

Very effective at removing that 1” of ‘dead’ feeling from the pedal.
That explains it pretty well thanks!

Sounds cool... Considering changing the car in first few months of next year though so don't know if I can justify the cost though hahaha

I was very impressed with mine but went Stage 2 so wasn't really bothered about having it anymore. To be honest it love to try it now to see if it makes a difference with the map, but again throttle response is added in the map so would just have to try it out.

Get one it will be worth it.

Reactions: azibux1
Hmm, was looking at this due to throttle lag on my 8v S3 but RAC insurance have flatly refused to add it - it's down as a modification from stock :(

the infamous lag/pause on automatic cars has been a problem but the pedal box has eliminated that issue id buy one for every new car i buy from now on

1000000000000% worth it, transforms the car. I use the TMC Motorsport myself as its set and forget and much cheaper than the DTUK. Nice and small also :)

View attachment 141953

Looked on their website for this but couldn't find the item for the 8V S3, only for 8L and 8P...got a link?

the infamous lag/pause on automatic cars has been a problem but the pedal box has eliminated that issue id buy one for every new car i buy from now on

I might get one to try, if it solves the issue then might change insurer otherwise I'd have to pay the £30 restocking fee within the first 14 days.

Looked on their website for this but couldn't find the item for the 8V S3, only for 8L and 8P...got a link?
Hmm, from what I can see it seems to just suggest Audi S3 all engines from 2006- onwards. So the 8v would be included right.

Black Friday got it down to £96 from £129

I'm waiting on Admiral to ask their underwriters how much the mod would cost..

Hmm, from what I can see it seems to just suggest Audi S3 all engines from 2006- onwards. So the 8v would be included right.

Black Friday got it down to £96 from £129

I'm waiting on Admiral to ask their underwriters how much the mod would cost..

If it is £96 then I am buying that! Hopefully it is as good as the DTUK one. Great reviews on that.

Anyone had experience declaring these mods to LV insurer?

Reactions: glospete
If it is £96 then I am buying that! Hopefully it is as good as the DTUK one. Great reviews on that.
I'm very tempted, not sure what the difference is between the DTUK one and the TMC Motorsport one is, quite a price difference. The DTUK one looks to have more settings while the TMC only has 1 button, 1 click (green) gives 50% more responsiveness whole another click makes it 77% or something and final click for off. Apart from this, not sure..

Just heard from Admiral my insurance would be £19.50 more per year.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaytonaS3
May be a dumb question, but can this be used by us guys over in the States?

I've been watching this as well. Mine doesn't always have lag, but I drive a set enough route that I have come to know exactly which intersections will bring on the delay. It's really strange... not sure if it's got something to do with a very specific incline or what, but... I'm certainly considering this. The delay drives me mad.

I'm very tempted, not sure what the difference is between the DTUK one and the TMC Motorsport one is, quite a price difference. The DTUK one looks to have more settings while the TMC only has 1 button, 1 click (green) gives 50% more responsiveness whole another click makes it 77% or something and final click for off. Apart from this, not sure..

Just heard from Admiral my insurance would be £19.50 more per year.
The different between the two is:

1) the amount of settings available
2) the DTUK will start up in the last setting where as the TMC will start up in Green mode

Thats it basically. If you are looking for customisation then go for the DTUK or the TMC App controlled unit. The standard TMC, which I have myself, is basically a "set and forget" solution which removes the initial throttle lag. I find red mode is too much response and green is perfect, how the car should be from the factory.

Reactions: oli356
The different between the two is:

1) the amount of settings available
2) the DTUK will start up in the last setting where as the TMC will start up in Green mode

Thats it basically. If you are looking for customisation then go for the DTUK or the TMC App controlled unit. The standard TMC, which I have myself, is basically a "set and forget" solution which removes the initial throttle lag. I find red mode is too much response and green is perfect, how the car should be from the factory.
Thanks Alex for the explanation. Going to go ahead and get the standard TMC one then while the price is down :)

I think if I don't buy one I am just going to be wondering for months to come what the difference feels like!

Edit: Cheeky website which doesn't display price with VAT till checkout. So £116 in total inc postage.

Last edited:
Thanks Alex for the explanation. Going to go ahead and get the standard TMC one then while the price is down :)

I think if I don't buy one I am just going to be wondering for months to come what the difference feels like!

Edit: Cheeky website which doesn't display price with VAT till checkout. So £116 in total inc postage.

I saw this cheeky VAT too at checkout so left it. Guess I won’t know what I’m missing out on haha

Is it simple to install? And are we safe to install this as far as warranty is concerned or can it flag up a code for Audi to read and dispute a warranty claim?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is it simple to install? And are we safe to install this as far as warranty is concerned or can it flag up a code for Audi to read and dispute a warranty claim?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Maybe @DJAlix can shed some light about if it flags anything up?

Installation I believe is fairly painless and only takes a few minutes.

Mine arrives tomorrow but probably won't fit it until Wednesday as in the morning my car is going into Audi to look at the MMI system. So probably best to leave it out for now!

Maybe @DJAlix can shed some light about if it flags anything up?

Installation I believe is fairly painless and only takes a few minutes.

Mine arrives tomorrow but probably won't fit it until Wednesday as in the morning my car is going into Audi to look at the MMI system. So probably best to leave it out for now!
  1. Turn car off and wait 10mins for systems to shut down.
  2. Unplug the connector from the top of your throttle pedal. Expect foul language and to loose a little skin from your fingers as its a bit stiff.
  3. Connect car side connector to the pedal box.
  4. Connect pedal box connector to the throttle pedal.
  5. Job Done.
The first time you turn on the ignition you might get a few error lights. These will clear after going for a drive and appeared only because you have disconnected a key component from the car. Errors might include ABS and Cruise control warnings. As long as the pedal box is not faulty in any way it should not generate any errors at all during operation. My cars have been in to Audi loads with pedal boxes connected. Just turn the box off and tuck all the cables / the controller up behind the dash and unless you are actually taking the car in from a throttle pedal issue Audi will never know its there.

Reactions: glospete and oli356
  2. Unplug the connector from the top of your throttle pedal. Expect foul language and to loose a little skin from your fingers as its a bit stiff.
  5. Job Done.
The first time you turn on the ignition you might get a few error lights. These will clear after going for a drive and appeared only because you have disconnected a key component from the car. Errors might include ABS and Cruise control warnings. As long as the pedal box is not faulty in any way it should not generate any errors at all during operation. My cars have been in to Audi loads with pedal boxes connected. Just turn the box off and tuck all the cables / the controller up behind the dash and unless you are actually taking the car in from a throttle pedal issue Audi will never know its there.

Thanks Alex. That gives me much more confidence. Next Spring I think I'll give it a go.

5. Job Done.
Thanks Alex, got mine this morning. The heads up about the warnings was good.. got told my hill assist wasn't working (I don't have it anyway!) - seems like I hadn't plugged it in correctly first time round so the throttle did nothing but quickly fixed that.

I took it for a quick spin, having the controller in "red mode" deffo seems too much, too sensitive though green seems good. I tested it out in efficiency mode as dare I say it I use this often on my commute as I can coast down entire roads as traffic is slow. I was around 37mph and trying to put my foot down with the same pressure (not much) each time and the difference is noticeable between off/green/red.

I've stashed it behind the dash with green on, I wasn't sure where at first but behind the OBD connector there is a big enough area. Might try and route the controller somewhere though incase I do want to change that at ease.

Installation is straight forwards, took 5-10 minutes... being careful not to use too much force but the angle is a bit weird to get the connector off the throttle pedal and as you say is a bit stiff...

I guess now I just forget about it =)

Reactions: glospete and DJAlix
Thanks Alex, got mine this morning. The heads up about the warnings was good.. got told my hill assist wasn't working (I don't have it anyway!) - seems like I hadn't plugged it in correctly first time round so the throttle did nothing but quickly fixed that.

I took it for a quick spin, having the controller in "red mode" deffo seems too much, too sensitive though green seems good. I tested it out in efficiency mode as dare I say it I use this often on my commute as I can coast down entire roads as traffic is slow. I was around 37mph and trying to put my foot down with the same pressure (not much) each time and the difference is noticeable between off/green/red.

I've stashed it behind the dash with green on, I wasn't sure where at first but behind the OBD connector there is a big enough area. Might try and route the controller somewhere though incase I do want to change that at ease.

Installation is straight forwards, took 5-10 minutes... being careful not to use too much force but the angle is a bit weird to get the connector off the throttle pedal and as you say is a bit stiff...

On another thread someone said you need to switch it off (but that was a DTUK one). Do you need to do that with the TMC unit or can you do as you have done - just fit and forget?

On another thread someone said you need to switch it off (but that was a DTUK one). Do you need to do that with the TMC unit or can you do as you have done - just fit and forget?
The Manual TMC unit switches on and off automatically as and when the car supplies power to the throttle pedal:
  • Turns on in Green mode when you unlock the car
  • Turns off when key is removed from ignition
For me its set and forget, exactly what I was looking for.

Reactions: glospete and oli356

Have some weak double sided tape on mine, stuck next to where my OBD port used to be. As the trim is flexible there, just incase I wanted to move it, I thought not to 3M tape it down but did not want it rattling about. Mine is on permanent Green mode and my car lives in "Individual - Auto" for engine = no throttle lag for me :)

The Manual TMC unit switches on and off automatically as and when the car supplies power to the throttle pedal:
  • Turns on in Green mode when you unlock the car
  • Turns off when key is removed from ignition
For me its set and forget, exactly what I was looking for.
That's what I thought.
Just need to turn off before my visit to Audi tomorrow, hopefully they get my Audi connect issue sorted and can then see you for some coding :)