PD130 Temp Sensor...which one?

academygaz

Reaction score
Temp gauge 99% of the time reads 50 (lowest point), go over a pothole and sometimes it might read a normal value but I'm going to change it as I'm getting pretty bad MPG, around 500 miles to a full tank (used to be 600+, mostly A-roads). I'm guessing the car thinks its running cold so overfuelling, no other symptoms, Its not the thermostat as the heaters blow super hot and fairly quickly even from a cold start. And I've never had a hot start issue. It throws up the CEL now and then, sometimes it goes by itself, sometimes I have to clear it using a handheld scantool (it doesn't read the specific code on this car, just clears the light) I had it scanned on VAGcom with the following reported:

Address 01: Engine Labels: 038-906-019-AVF.lbl
Part No: 038 906 019 LJ
Component: 1,9l R4 EDC 0000SG 5934
Coding: 00002
Shop #: WSC 63251
VCID: 6AD1DC711664C89
WAUZZZ8E35A001885 AUZ6Z0D0164011

2 Faults Found:
17996 - Engine Mount Solenoid Valves (N144/N145)
P1588 - 35-10 - Open Circuit - Intermittent
17664 - Engine Coolant Temp Sensor (G62)
P1256 - 35-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent
Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

I've stuck my reg number into GSF and its come up with two temperature sensors, which is the one I need? And can either be fitted? One is listed specifically for the AVF engine, its green and 4 pole, £13, the other doesn't say what colour it is, its 2 pole and is £9. Can't see anywhere online saying which one is better or newer. My car is an A4 Sport, 1.9TDI with the 6sp box.

Last edited:
Get a genuine VAG (green 4 pole). Aftermarket CTS's are notorious for not working correctly. Buy cheap, buy twice.

Reactions: ruffrida
Unless you changed the thermostat recently I would fit another genuine one straight away. It's an easy and cheap job to do mate.

No need to change the stat if its not overheating and the heaters OK

Before I replaced the stat it would sit at 50 - 70 degrees Celsius and the heater was still hot. New stat fitted now indicates 90 and better on fuel consumption and can't notice the air being any hotter.

Possible air lock. Have you bled the system? Small pin ***** hole in top rubber hose on heater matrix pipes in the bulkhead. Remove spring clip and gently pull the hose forward until air escapes from the small hole.

Possible air lock. Have you bled the system? Small pin ***** hole in top rubber hose on heater matrix pipes in the bulkhead. Remove spring clip and gently pull the hose forward until air escapes from the small hole.
Don't usually need this, but a usual common sign of warm heaters or HG and you don't want it be that lol.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll be checking it out over the weekend.