PD Tuning boxes

• Thread starter imported_hburnett
  • Start date
I

imported_hburnett

Guys

Just a quick one... Has anyone installed one of these? Has anyone had a problem with them? Just looking at purchasing PDTuning box to install on Company Car and they don't like things being added so wondering if its a good move!? Is it easy to do?

Cheers H

Having looked at the whole tuning thing in detail - the consensus view is that these things don't really deliver the maximum performance you could get.

The real solutions are all some kind of re-map.

I have a booking with AMD scheduled - I see from their web-site that they are doing the re-maps without the VAT.

I had one fitted to my 2.0Tdi and it make a massive difference. Took 5 minutes to install/remove. I removed mine as I asked my insurance company if they would cover me and they said yes but when I went back after I had bought one they said no!

J.

I bought one off ebay,which I decided not to try (MD would have had a fit),so I sold it to a guy on here.
He reported it made a big difference and gave it a glowing report.
He was chuffed.

It was from this mob (from memory)

www.pdtuning.co.uk

I've no doubt they're not as good as a proper remap,but they're

A/ Cheap
B/ Easier to do (my nearest remap is well over 100 miles away)
C/ Easily reversed

I sell the Steinbauer ones now, I fitted one to my car to test it before becoming a dealer. Results were quite impressive. RR figures were 176bhp and 305lb ft of torque. Pretty easy to fit too.

Details are at www.pragmatik-ict.co.uk/steinbauer.cms

I took it off because I'm having a development Revo map installed shortly (well that's what I was told).

Ouch,those Steinbauer boxes are a bit steep aren't they ???

[ QUOTE ]
Ouch,those Steinbauer boxes are a bit steep aren't they ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't worry they'll be a big discount for foum members /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

But in all seriousness no not really when you compare the prices to something like the Tnue-it boxes!

J.

£399 ? (or was it £299..)
I'm all for boxes,but surely the major attraction of them is their cheapness compared with a 'proper' tune.
If you're going to spend £399 (or £299) then you're really as well with a remap,surely ?

I'd agree with you on the VAG front, which is why I don't push these boxes for 1.8T and 1.9PD engines. But until the 2.0Tdi Revo remap is available, I only have the Steinbauer box as a product offering. I checked out the link posted under PD Tuning, looks like it's one of the resistor 'upgrades', whereas the Steinbauer and Tunit boxes operate in conjunction with the ecu.

The resistor upgrades fool the ecu into thinking its colder than it actually is, therefore causing overfuellng, which is why they tend to smoke a lot.

The nice thing about Steinbauer is their 3 year warranty and upgrade path.

MikeP,

what sort of cost could it be the steinbauer for a group discount?

ShaHeed, I'll talk to the suppliers and see what can be done, but we'd probably need at least 10 for them to move on the price. I have asked them about price reductions in the light of Revo and CC dropping their prices, but I've had no response yet.

The best I can do on my own for a group buy is £360 + vat, as there's not a lot in it for dealers.

[ QUOTE ]
I checked out the link posted under PD Tuning, looks like it's one of the resistor 'upgrades', whereas the Steinbauer and Tunit boxes operate in conjunction with the ecu.

The resistor upgrades fool the ecu into thinking its colder than it actually is, therefore causing overfuellng, which is why they tend to smoke a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,but,then again,it's only £20 off ebay..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've read umpteen threads on umpteen websites about these things and the balance is tipped in their favour.
For the money spent,most of them seem to offer a decent performance gain.
Some report an increase in smoke,some don't.

Given that the goal of any tuning is to get more fuel into the engine,I don't really get the "All they do is increase the fuelling" criticism.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Criticism? No, merely an observation of how it achieves the results.

All diesel tuners make the gains by changes in fuelling, some use more sophistacted techniques than fooling the temperature sensor.

Yer pays yer money......

[ QUOTE ]

Yeah,but,then again,it's only £20 off ebay..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

but then again why pay £20 for a 40p resistor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif If you search on the web you can find details of what value resitor to buy and which pins to put it accross.

J.

I'm not knocking a 'proper' tune,by the way.
If I were able to get one,I probably would (company car).
I'm just saying that a fair proportion of people seem to think these cheap boxes work surprisingly well for such little outlay.

I'm only looking for a cheap bit of fun in the Co Car, so I'll probably go for one.... THere's thinking ahead still gotta wait for the car to turn up first!!!!!!!!!!............... ;¬)