PCV Test Help

TerryUK

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a very limited knowledge in cars so this may sound like a silly question. Thought I would do the PCV Test to check my PCV

I turned the engine on from cold, left it to idle for a couple of mins and then removed the oil cap while the car was running. Below is a video of what happened. Is this normal?

I felt a slight suction and could here is hissing as I took the cap off, the car then run rough and the sounded like it was bubbling. Is this normal? From the PCV test video I saw on YouTube it looks like I may have a faulty PCV but the guy on YouTube didn't have the bubbling noise that mine had, could this be yet another issue?

Also when removing the dipstick again while the car was running, I got a hissing noise come from the tube.

When I turned the engine off and took the Oil filler cap off again there was a slight amount of smoke coming from the filler hole.

Video:
Audi A4 PCV Check - YouTube

Hej,

Well my PCV was gubbed....and I couldn't remove my oil filler cap at all and I tried several times! What are your symptoms that your testing for?

BR
A

Bad MPG, I have been told that if the PCV can go it can cause a drop in MPG. There was also a fair amount of oil around the filler cap, not sure if the previous owner spilt oil over it though and sometimes when driving I'm sure I can smell fumes. I also just want to make sure everything is ok with the car.

Edit: Also sometimes when I park up after driving and I look back at my car, I can see some smoke coming from the exhaust.

Bad Mpg?.....how is your temperature....is the needle bang on 90c when the engine is warmed up....have you scanned for any codes?....I changed my PCV after I had a remap down....and it kept throwing up the EML light.......when you say smoke? is it smoke or steam off the exhaust. Oil around the filler cap is suppose to be a sympton of a shagged pcv but you shouldn't be able to remove the oil filler if it was shot....as far as I was aware.

A

I have been getting about 200miles on a full tank, I have another thread a bit lower down from this one.

Temps all good and no more codes since the codes have been cleared.

I'm not sure if its smoke or steam. The oil around the cap is what made me try the test, because I had been experiencing bad MPG.

The car is going on for a DV check while the ATF is getting changed next week, just hope the PCV isn't gone too.

I have been getting about 200miles on a full tank, I have another thread a bit lower down from this one.

Temps all good and no more codes since the codes have been cleared.

I'm not sure if its smoke or steam. The oil around the cap is what made me try the test, because I had been experiencing bad MPG.

The car is going on for a DV check while the ATF is getting changed next week, just hope the PCV isn't gone too.

Ok, well that's the thermostat theory banjaxed, you should be getting more than that on a full tank for sure....unless you are sitting in traffic all day! The PCV takes ten minutes tops to change and is a cheap part...so it's not the worst thing to change. Your DV shouldn't cause poor mileage, just poor performance. What's an ATF again?

Automatic Transmission Fluid sorry.

Hopefully its nothing big.

Not that i'm aware off, I've only had the car a few weeks and first time I've driven anything above 1.2L haha! It's a 2.0L FSI T, its not a quattro.

Well Terry, unless you are creeping around town like a prozi prowler.....you should be getting 200 mile on nearly half a tank easy Mate. Not having an automatic box myself I am not much use to you....clearly, you will use a tad more fuel with an automatic but not that much. Are all your filters clean and clear...and no issues with fault codes....Jaysus, that's a real mystery....am really intrigued...please keep us posted on this and sorry I can't be of anymore help. What engine code do you have btw. Lats throw of the dice.....MAF sensor gubbed?

Last edited:
See my thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...618-audi-a4-2-0-t-fsi-getting-10-15mpg-2.html

It looks as if it has gone up to about 30MPG since I had a tyre replaced, which seems about right but I don't know why, I tyre can't make that sort of increase so unless where they had it tilted to once side its knocked something into place or done something to a sensor I really don't know.

Not sure on my engine code

See my thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s...618-audi-a4-2-0-t-fsi-getting-10-15mpg-2.html

It looks as if it has gone up to about 30MPG since I had a tyre replaced, which seems about right but I don't know why, I tyre can't make that sort of increase so unless where they had it tilted to once side its knocked something into place or done something to a sensor I really don't know.

Not sure on my engine code

Well, 30mpg is getting there with an auto box I guess. The official MPG for 2.0t Manual is 34.4mpg....and they are always optimistic at best....so you could be getting wound up about nothing Matey.

BR
A

Well, 30mpg is getting there with an auto box I guess. The official MPG for 2.0t Manual is 34.4mpg....and they are always optimistic at best....so you could be getting wound up about nothing Matey.

BR
A

I would be happy if i got 30MPG, its only recently I have been getting this, so I don't know if a tyre has given me a 50% gain in MPG, which I really don't think it could do, or there is some sort of issue with the engine somewhere, my thinking is there is some sort of issue somewhere causing a good MPG sometimes and bad other times :(

Hello,

I have a very limited knowledge in cars so this may sound like a silly question. Thought I would do the PCV Test to check my PCV

I turned the engine on from cold, left it to idle for a couple of mins and then removed the oil cap while the car was running. Below is a video of what happened. Is this normal?

I felt a slight suction and could here is hissing as I took the cap off, the car then run rough and the sounded like it was bubbling. Is this normal? From the PCV test video I saw on YouTube it looks like I may have a faulty PCV but the guy on YouTube didn't have the bubbling noise that mine had, could this be yet another issue?

Also when removing the dipstick again while the car was running, I got a hissing noise come from the tube.

When I turned the engine off and took the Oil filler cap off again there was a slight amount of smoke coming from the filler hole.

Video:
Audi A4 PCV Check - YouTube

Hey again terry,

What you are experiencing is normal. The pcv will only really show issues if you find when the car is idling it has a slight miss to it or if you cant get the cap off, lastly if some force is needed to remove the cap. I mean there will be some resistance when removing the cap as there is a vacuum being created and essentially when you take the cap off or the oil dipstick its sucking in more air throwing the car off balance per say.

And looking at the video it seems the cap does come off effortless so I would say you are fine.

If i recall you saying you going to get the car serviced or have you had it serviced I cant remember but I would consider a fuel filter change and go oem if possible.

Last edited:
I would be happy if i got 30MPG, its only recently I have been getting this, so I don't know if a tyre has given me a 50% gain in MPG, which I really don't think it could do, or there is some sort of issue with the engine somewhere, my thinking is there is some sort of issue somewhere causing a good MPG sometimes and bad other times :(

Got me thinking too.....don't rely on the car display to monitor your mpg. Sign up to fully.com and monitor your fuel use that way too for peace of mind. I think 30 is about right for an auto box Mate.

Good Luck
A

I have an ATF change booked in for next week and a service when I can get the funds together. Been quoted £275 for a major service.

I am planning on signing up to Fully soon :)

The only thing I can think of is when they jacked the car up and changed the tyre, they must of knocked something back into place or unjammed something. I can't think of any other reason why the MPG has increased so much and I'm sure the car feels a lot more powerful.

285? Are you sure thats full service Mate. Parts alone for a full service should be 200 quid plus and 4 hours labour minimum for the belt service.....if you are getting a full service for 285 quids.....am moving back home!

Last edited: