PC Help

Range Rover/Land Rover are crap. The air suspension is s**t, the electronics are crap. Just in general rubbish. I know a number of people who have had their vehicles exchanged. My Neighbour has one and I regularly see it leaving on the back of a breakdown truck !! Just my 2p worth. However if they have sorted their lives out recently then fair play to them but I doubt it !

I can't believe the new Range Rover is bad, since it's basically a BMW X7. Sure, it's assembled by Ford/Land Rover but surely the can't screw that up, can they?

For me the problem with the RR is it's size, depreciation and lack of agility otherwise it felt like a great car when I drove it.

The last of old shape were particulary crap, flywheels falling out and air suspension packing up !!! The new ones seem to have the same air suspension probelms, and trim issues with things breaking and falling out. This is not helped by dealers who just do not have a clue, which means a problem that could be resolved in one visit takes ten ( Using ten different parts and or excuses) so you think ten things have gone wrong with it !

btw, isn't the 4.4 litre in the RR the same engine as in the first-model X5 4.4i ? both have 286bhp, and BMW was somehow connected to Rover in the past, so could there have been some deal on that possibly?

My computer has recently been making a strange noise when I switch it on. As I hit the button, for about two seconds there's a noise like a moped engine revving &revving, and then it goes away, and the computer gets on with booting up. At first, I thought it was the fan in the power supply, so I put a new PS in. The noise went away for about a fortnight, but now it's back, so whatever's causing the noise, it's unlikely to be the PS.

I'm worried it could be the hard drive getting tired. Any ideas?

sounds like a bad fan - what about the cpu cooler or graphics cooler?

you can check the hard drive by simply disconnecting the psu plug to it - if the startup sound goes away then its the hd

I'd disconnect the fan first and see if its that....but ghost your hard drive just in case.

Yep definatley sounds like a processor fan to me. Just remove the casing to leave the board and inners exposed. On switching on look inside to see if you can identify exactly where the noise is coming from. If im correct then just pop down to your local hardware shop and pick one up for anywhere between a couple of quid and up to £30 -£40 for a very good one. Good luck mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

yep, without a doubt it's the processor fan. Open the side up, turn it on and lightly touch the centre of the processor fan. It will slow the fan and the noise should stop until it spins back up again. Like others have said it's not too expensive to replace and an easy job.

Ade

[ QUOTE ]
I'd disconnect the fan first and see if its that....but ghost your hard drive just in case.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do disconnect the processor fan don't leave it on for more than a few seconds or you'll cook the processor...

It's now Wednesday lunchtime, and I've been phoning the shop at hourly intervals since Monday morning, & getting no answer. I'll have to leave work early & take it round there this afternoon, see if there's anyone there.

It ended up with a total system rebuild to eradicate a nast little worm that got in past my anti-virus defences, and took over all my programmes.

Have just lost five years of personal photos & documents, cos I forgot to back them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

mate sounds like you have been stitched up big style!!! if you think audi dealers are stealers some pc shops will make them look like saints. i have told anyone i know to give me a call before buying any computer equipment as they would rather sell you something than fix a minor problem.

anyway...

what has happened you your old harddrive? i hope you still have it?
in fact i hope you have all your old bits? and the computer shop didnt offer to "dispose" them for you?

(in case i miss your reply) the reason i ask if you still have your harddrive is that the data should still be there on it. so you may not have lost 5 years of data. i thought you had a fan issue and not a harddrive issue anyways?

Have to agree sounds like u have been done up like a kipper mate! Very few worms or viruses are capable of destrying your data completely......todays patches and recovery tools are very good as antivirus is big business to corporations. As Ian stated i hope you still have your old equipment as the data will be recoverable!

p.s how much did they fleece you for mate?

I've still got the hard drive, but am not prepared to risk hooking it up to my PC, so how do I go about recovering the data safely?

PM anyone?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a new motherboard, AMD Athlon 2800 processor, 120g hard drive, 128mb graphics card, & 1024mb of RAM installed. It came to £355.

thats seems a lot mate i'm sorry to say
check this link out.
http://www.thepcmanuk.com/Shop/Builder_Systems.asp?BC=293

i can put a pc together, having built servers in my early IT years, but i pay these guys about £50 for the priveledge because not all components work well together, they deal with that hassle (eg multiple drivers and dvd/cd writers) and they soak test etc which i cant be bothered doing.

my gf reckons i could make a killing offering my services (IT ones!) and the word killing is right, becuase people will pay up for stuff they dont really understand. i'm the same with cars - hence i use this forum a lot!! me and my mates tend to just do it as a favour for mates as its often something simple.

i think you have far too much memory unless you are a gamer or running serious database/graphic design work. i realise this is too late for you, but i'd urge others to ask many of the IT geeks who happen to own Audi's too that frequent this site.
and your graphics card is for graphic design work/games.

as for your harddrive - i dont have a test system at the moment as i gave it to a mate to get him on the technology ladder! i only have my home server and laptop at mo. otherwise i'd take it and see what i could do. from what you said above you have no problems accessing the data previously? it was just a noise on start up? anybody local to you willing to spend 10mins plugging in this drive to an old pc? just dont go back to that shop!!

Thanks for the info, Ian, it's much appreciated.

I'll see if I can find someone who can try to recover the data for me. It's the photos that are the real pi$$er.

I am a little wiser, if, sadly, a little poorer this weekend.

jeff

if its any consolation. my first pc 9 year ago cost £1600 all in. i still use it as a backup server at work with windows nit, but its not worth £50. so i now recommend nobody spend more than 350quid (usually the cheapest dell) on a pc unless they know what they want.

good luck with recovering data - i dont think you will have lost anything, but if simply plugging it in yields no results. there are data recovery services. i've never used one. they arent cheap, but for photos i think its worth it. maybe an idea to put an ad in your local supermarket/shop requesting help?

but looking forwards.;.your pc now has about 5 years useful life in it. will do 99% of tasks you need down the road(my old gateway is 10 years old!) but next step to minimise any future losses..get yourself a dvd writer from ebuyer.com with some datawrite blank dvds. then burn your photos/important data- making multiple copies for safety.

there are recovery solutions like nortons ghost - but require a bit more technical expertise. nothing major but if you are interested do some reading on it. its a good product. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a new motherboard, AMD Athlon 2800 processor, 120g hard drive, 128mb graphics card, & 1024mb of RAM installed. It came to £355.

[/ QUOTE ]

Contrary to what Ian said i dont think that was too bad actually when you consider the guy has got his cut out of it!...Don't feel to disheartened it could of been much worse.

p.s. Did they guy say what the name of the virus (worm) was as it would help protecting your pc then it will be safe to connect up the old drive and run a scan on it to clean it!

Just make sure you've got antivirus / spyware utilities on your new machine and you shouldn't have any problem with plugging it in to your pc as a second disk and then copying the data across.

If you are concerned about doing this, send it to me and I will do it for you if you wish? Let me know,

Cheers
Rich.

list of useful tools to have
1. Adaware
2. Spybot 1.3
3. Microsofts Antispyware
4. Avast Antivirus (free @ www.avast.com) and i find it much better than Norton...Mcafee...Sophos!!!
5. Yahoo toolbar with Antispyware.

p.s you may think i am over cautious but i found that each antispyware has its strengths and weaknesses and each find things which the others may miss! I do online banking so dont wanna take the risk!

If your Router doesnt have a firewall inbuilt then maybe think of using the mcafee firewall which i have used and found quite useful or maybe zonealarm which is pretty ok too.

I got my pc from this lot www.novatech.co.uk . Found they are very good and very competitive prices too. Not just full systems but motherboard bundle packages and everything else u may need to for your pc. Take a look it wont hurt!!

The irony is that the reason I went for the upgrade was to provide more resources for photo-editing!

Still, I do now have a stonking, and very well-protected, PC, have learned my lesson about taking regular back-ups, and am about to mail my old hard drive off to South Wales to see if Rich can weave his magic for me.

Thanks, everyone. I never realised until today what a community of friends we are on this forum.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

jdp - if you would like to get the data back - eitehr copied to cd / dvd give me a shout (PM) if you can get the actual hard disk to me (liverpool street area - city) I would be fairly certain that I can get the data back - simple case of plugging it in as a secondary drive (then you are not booting or loading any executable files).

If the disk has been reformatted / new partition would make life more difficult. Then what I would advise once you get the data off is to clean the disk and stick it in a USB drive enclosure (www.usbtech.co.uk) £20 for a portable hard disk to keep a backup of all your photos etc (use a program like second copy and this will mirror any data folders exactly).

[ QUOTE ]
jdp - if you would like to get the data back - eitehr copied to cd / dvd give me a shout (PM) if you can get the actual hard disk to me (liverpool street area - city) I would be fairly certain that I can get the data back - simple case of plugging it in as a secondary drive (then you are not booting or loading any executable files).

If the disk has been reformatted / new partition would make life more difficult. Then what I would advise once you get the data off is to clean the disk and stick it in a USB drive enclosure (www.usbtech.co.uk) £20 for a portable hard disk to keep a backup of all your photos etc (use a program like second copy and this will mirror any data folders exactly).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really kind of you, Adrian, but in fact another fellow forum member has already done it for me. Just shows what a great community we are, though, doesn't it?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif