Paul-S3's Project StealthTDI build thread.....

Paul-S3

Reaction score
Hi guys

Thought i'd start up a build thread for my latest project car. It's a 2004 A3 tdi 140, 60k on clock with full audi history. I saw a few dogs before i found this clean solid example and now i'm itching to start the modding. I've been on the M3 scene for the last few years having owned 3 M3's. I also had a short spell in an S3 before missing the M3 rasp too much. Pics of my last 4 rides added below

Planned mods are as follows, facelift front end to 07 S line single grill bumper, 2010 rear facelift including bumper and rear lights. Black Grill, Coilovers, 19" Bentley Split rimz, Debadge bootlid, S line half leather interior, FBMFSW, black headlining and pillars. thats just for starters, i'm sure this list will get bigger as i go along, lol. Also i plan to do a full paint correction Detail as thats what i do for a living, i'm based in south wales just incase anyone local is looking for a detail,lol. On the whole the paintwork is in good condition, just the usual swirls in the paintwork.

Anyway, here's some pics of the car showing the start of the project.

A3 TDI

DSC00223.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

DSC00226.jpg

DSC00227.jpg

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

And here are the previous rides i have been cruising around in, as you can tell, i was well into the BMW scene. I will miss the M3 but not the people on the scene, found them to be so stuck up their own asses it was unreal. Looking forward to the chilled out VAG scene now for a change, lol.

The M3's

SAM_0549.jpg

SAM_0550.jpg

DSC05799.jpg

DSC05888-Copy.jpg

DSC05532.jpg

DSC05527.jpg

The S3

DSC06421.jpg

DSC06429.jpg

Some lovely cars you've had, Paul. I remember your S3 and particularly all the gloss black details you added to it, ..looked very smart. All the best with your new project. Always had a soft spot for the split grille. You only have to look at Fran's gorgeous example to see that a very well kept and maintained 8P1 can stand toe to toe with the newer A3's any day of the week! Looking forward to your updates, Dude. :wub: xx

good luck,

From another previous M3 owner to Audi TDi, lol :beerchug:

***SMALL UPDATE***
Ok, Little update, decided to get out the hairdryer and dental floss and debadge the rear bootlid. The rear end looks so much smother i must say and has convinced me that a wiper delete mod is defo on the cards. Here's a before and after shot.

BEFORE

DSC00235.jpg

AFTER

DSC00237.jpg

Also, i've managed to find a nice set of Bentley split rims for a bargain price. 2 hour trip to brum and i was coming home with these babies!! Cant wait to get these on the car coz they are gonna look dope. Only thing now is to decide what to do with them. Do i fit them on as they are, do i get the centres done gloss black with a polished lip, or do i go all black?????

DSC00230.jpg

DSC00231.jpg

DSC00232.jpg

Coming along nicely :wub:

I love them in the standard colour tbh but I suppose you can change the colour at a later date and might look cool in anthracite :wub:

Coming along nicely :wub:

I love them in the standard colour tbh but I suppose you can change the colour at a later date and might look cool in anthracite :wub:

Gonna come along even further once my package arrives off you mate :wub:

And i think i'm gonna keep them as they are for now and if i get bored do them black for that murdered look

***Small Update***
Well, ever since picking up the car 2 weeks ago the engine bay has been bugging me big time, it was filthy dirty and being a detailer it was killing me. I was gonna do the engine bay when i set aside a weekend to detail the whole car, but as it happened i had a few hours spare this afternoon and thought i'd get cracking on it. Came up lovely and i will dress it up properly when the car get fully detailed.

BEFORE

1-6.jpg

AFTER

2-6.jpg

BEFORE

9-2.jpg

AFTER

10-2.jpg

***Small Update***
My new MY11 turned up this morning thanx to HIGGINS. Top service from him so highly recommend him if your after some MY11 lights. Anyway, couldnt get them on quick enough. Great mod and really freshens up the back end, i've ordered some silver indicator and fog light bulbs to take away the orange and red tinge. Can wait for my 2010 bumper to be fitted now, it's gonna finish it off nicely.

BEFORE

DSC00250.jpg

50/50

DSC00251.jpg

AFTER

DSC00256.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks mate glad you like them :)

They really refresh the rear of your car, its really coming along :wub:

***Small update***
Well, just a little update to let you know how my build is going. Had these delivered from N8, top service from the guy and top price too, pm him if you need some V maxx coilovers.

DSC00300.jpg

DSC00298.jpg

N8 has also been a great help over the last week in helping me source some parts for my car, he's managed to sort me out an S line a3 front bumper with grill and cupra splitter and also the bonnet needed for the conversion. And he's even delivering the items to me in person, Top bloke fair play :icon_thumright:

I've also picked up a 2010 rear bumper for £30 on ebay so it wont be long now and i'll be paying a trip to the sprayers to colour code my parts. Cant wait.

Going to be watching this thread with keen interest, my car started out the same as yours and your plans seem sililar to mine.
Looking forward to hearing how you find the coilovers as ill be getting mine lowered in the next month or so.
Good find with the bumper!

Looking good so far, i will need to get debadging mine such a simple mod but makes a nice difference

No probs Paul, here to help :wub:

You can say that again, lol. Finally got someone to fit tyres to my rimz so i've just ordered some falken fk452's and hopefully have them fitted on thursday.

Also, gonna run the bentley's in silver for a while and then get them refurbed by you later on in the year. :wub:

***BIG UPDATE***
Ok, been really busy with the car as of late so thought it about time i updated this thread.

1st up is the Bentley alloys, i decided i wanted black bentleys so i sold the silver set and managed to pick up these newly refurbed set for the same money i sold my ones for, RESULT!

DSC00333.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting N8 on the weekend as he kindly delivered this little lot for me, the bonnet off his car and the smoothed S line bumper off another well known car off the site, it also came with the cupra splitter which was a bonus. N8 top bloke all round as i've said before. Now roll on the facelift :eyebrows:

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

After N8 had left i popped over my mates house and we got cracking on fitting my V maxx coilovers (supplied by N8) Great bit of kit for the money, this is how she's sitting now, needs the rear lowered just a little bit more and then i'll be happy with the height.

DSC00336.jpg

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

While fitting the coilovers i was totally disgusted at the state of my arches. Being one for always keeping my cars immaculately clean this was just not acceptable at all, lol, tbh with you, i dont think these arches have been cleaned since the car hit the road in 2004, lol. Anyway, here's the pics.

Before and Afters

DSC00340.jpg

DSC00341.jpg

DSC00342.jpg

DSC00343.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

After cleaning the arches it was time to offer up my new bentley's. I have fitted Falken FK452's in size 215/35/19. They look the absolute nuts on the car and i'm so happy i decided to go for the black instead of all silver. I've got no rubbing on the rears but the fronts rub when turning going over bumps. I'm gonna try removing the arch lining screws 2moro to see if that helps. Any other idea's welcome. Anyway, enough of the talk, it's time for a little pic whoring :rockwoot:

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00357.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

DSC00360.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: N8
Those rims! OMG! You only have to 'sniff' at a kerb and they are wrecked! LOL. There is no lip protection at all is there? Talk about stretched rubber ;)
Looks really good though. (Those M3's looked good too)

Reactions: Ironborn
Those rims! OMG! You only have to 'sniff' at a kerb and they are wrecked! LOL. There is no lip protection at all is there? Talk about stretched rubber ;)
Looks really good though. (Those M3's looked good too)

LOL, needless to say the missis is now BANNED from driving the car, lol

Have you converted the grill yet? I almost wet my pants when I saw you were doing this, Ive been loosing sleep this weekend deciding weather to fit my votex front lip or do the full conversion with that grill.
The only issue holding me back is insurance....do I tell them, will it go up, will they cover it.

How is the ride with the coilovers? How much drop?

Have you converted the grill yet? I almost wet my pants when I saw you were doing this, Ive been loosing sleep this weekend deciding weather to fit my votex front lip or do the full conversion with that grill.
The only issue holding me back is insurance....do I tell them, will it go up, will they cover it.

How is the ride with the coilovers? How much drop?

no, bumpers have to go off for paint before i can fit them. But i would highly recommend you do this conversion as that split grill is just NASTY!!! lol.

The ride on the coilovers is ok, a little bit too firm for my liking but the more i drive the car the more it feels normal.

Reactions: cooldragon224
The good news is i have sorted out the rubbing issues on the front. I jacked up the car this morning, unscrewed the arch lining bolt and cut off the plastic clip. Took it out for another spin and the rubbing has gone. You can see on the pic below where the tyre was obviously catching the screw as it was starting to clean the screw head. So now i know the fronts are fine i will be lowering the rear a tad more to level the car up.

Untitled-3.png

Well, i thought i'd do a little test on my bonnet wit my machine polisher just to see what i was up against with the paint work on the audi. Since i've bought the car the paintwork has been bugging me but i'm trying to hold out as long as i can before i do a full correction.

Anyway, here's a little 50/50 shot of the bonnet, i'm very happy with the results and now i'm looking forward to getting cracking on the whole car.

DSC00375-Copy.jpg

DSC00378-Copy.jpg

DSC00379-Copy.jpg

Please post up some pictures when you have done the conversion. I have the same car and I am looking to do the same. I have to agree with you that double grills does look nasty lol.

Please post up some pictures when you have done the conversion. I have the same car and I am looking to do the same. I have to agree with you that double grills does look nasty lol.

I agree with that, they remind me of an 8L that has put weight on :haha:

The car should look great once the facelift is complete

***UPDATE***

Well, i was snooping on the bay last week and stumbled across this little bargain. S3 front brake calipers with brand new discs and pads for just 300 notes. The guy i bought them off had painted one caliper and disc black but it was a mess, so i have stripped them down and stripped as much of the paint off them ready to sand blast them. Then once done i'm gonna spray them but cant decide wether to do them red or black???? thoughts????

DSC00393.jpg

DSC00396.jpg

DSC00397.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

For me I would choose black. They would look good with the S3 silver detail bit on there.
Nice purchace.
:icon_thumright:

I was leaning more to red N8 just to give it a dash of colour. Also, can i get shorter springs for my rears? I've swapped the adjusters over to the oem rubber mount and it's still way too high at the back. I dont really wanna have to change the coilovers if i dont have too. This is how it sits now

DSC00387.jpg

DSC00389.jpg

What tint is that? I like the white out line going around.