passenger front door locks but won't unlock

rallymangtb

Reaction score
Hi all

It will lock but won't unlock I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what was the remedy before I pull the door apart

Thanks

Thanks for that mate its only been doing it for a cpl days sometimes it opens but most of the time it doesn't.

Hi b5nut

With the passenger door not opening will that interfere with the drivers door as well not opening or is that lock on the way out as well as its not opened a cpl of times today if I lock it and re open it its OK. ..strange

Thanks

Both locks have the same problem, I've had to change drivers & passenger locks on my car. However on the drivers side I had to remove the window frame, which was not as bad as I first figured.

I had the same problem after the wife tried to open the locked passenger door at the same time as I unlocked it with the remote, it wouldn't unlock for ages with the remote then one day went OK.
Been OK now for 12 months.

That's strange mine just won't open and the drivers door will only open if you lock it and then open it again

Both locks have the same problem, I've had to change drivers & passenger locks on my car. However on the drivers side I had to remove the window frame, which was not as bad as I first figured.
Hi mate

These door locks do you know what actually goes wrong with them coz they lock bit won't unlock is it the actuator that plays up or something else ???

Dave

Think it's the microswitches inside that causes the problem, I guess if you can garage the car and not need it, you may be able to get replacements and fix the unit, but I found it easier just to get used replacements from ebay, these locks were used on the A3, A4, A6, R8 and some of the other models. I got my used locks from a smashed up 2010 A3, and since replacing I've not had a problem.

Ah OK I didn't know others used the same locks that makes it a bit easier to get a pair as there's not many on eBay percificly for the c6 a6 does the c5 a6 use the same

Cheers dave

Think it's the microswitches inside that causes the problem, I guess if you can garage the car and not need it, you may be able to get replacements and fix the unit, but I found it easier just to get used replacements from ebay, these locks were used on the A3, A4, A6, R8 and some of the other models. I got my used locks from a smashed up 2010 A3, and since replacing I've not had a problem.

Hi you wouldn't have the part no would ya are they 9 pin

Thanks

No the c5 will not fit, you need cars of the same year or later (later the better) as I think they fixed this on later revision of the locks. The A3 8P will be the best option if your searching ebay.

Sorry don't have the number to hand at the moment.

4E2 number was only used on the A3 & A8.

Part numbers that are compatible with the A6 are
4F2837016
4F2837016B

The B revision was used in the A3, A6, A8 & R8.

Thanks for that mate best I get looking again thought I'd found some but wrong ones that explains why some are dearer than others

4E2 number was only used on the A3 & A8.

Part numbers that are compatible with the A6 are
4F2837016
4F2837016B

The B revision was used in the A3, A6, A8 & R8.
Hi

Just a quick question when I lock the doors from the switch on the drivers door and then unlock it the 2 front doors open any ideas

Yea I mean unlock lol it will unlock using the key as well it's just yet remote than it won't unlock both sides that is

Yea I mean unlock lol it will unlock using the key as well it's just yet remote than it won't unlock both sides that is

Is your battery OK in your key fob ?

Reactions: rallymangtb
Would that cause it to lock but not unlock the remote seems OK I have another remote I'll try that one just out of intrest

Right I'm confused now I tried my other key and now the drivers door opens but the passenger one still won't open ...any ideas ..I must admit I thought it strange that both doors pack up with in 24 hrs of each other ????

They are just bad locks, it can be very random on how they unlock, my drivers stopped working then started worked again and was fine for weeks, then it failed again. Since changing both my front locks I've never had a problem since. Why it's always the front locks and never the rear I've got no idea.

I'm going to plug into it tomorrow and see if there's any fault codes with the locks

Ah OK how do you tell the later revision from the old ones ??

Ah OK I've got the older ones then 90 quid for both that's not bad price is it

Door locks all done and now working the drivers side one was a complete **** with the plastic cover round it but did it in the end and even put the plastic bit back and didn't bin it lol

Reactions: B5NUT
Mine took around an hr a side and not to bad to do as it's passenger side you just have to fiddle to get the lock between the outer skin of the door and the window runner other than that fine

Im going to try the method based on the thread from B5NUT at the start of this post. Hopefully i can figure it out without breaking anything. My passenger side door doesn't open from the outside and i have a spare replacement i got from ebay. I just got myself a copy of the workshop repair guide and it mentions removing window frames and window regulators! I had a quick look a few weeks ago but wasnt brave enough to start stripping down the door on my newly purchased s6!

Na don't need to do that it does go past the window guide just be careful with it .you may need some of the clips that hold the door card on I did manage to save all mine

Thanks for the info, i managed to get the door card off a few weeks bag with no issues, hopefully i can get it off again without breaking any clips