Passenger door won't unlock

Chrismawa

Reaction score
My Dads A3 wont unlock on the passenger side, which means to open it you have to lean over and open from the inside. He has done a VCDS scan on it and it came back with these 2 faults:

Code:
01553 - Motor for Central Locking; Passenger Door (V57); Lock 012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

00929 - Locking Module for Central Locking; Front Passenger Side (F2); 008 - implausible Signal

Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? Door module? Motor? He wants to be sure before he books it in to be fixed.

Any help would be great, thanks!

Release the connector between the door hinges and pull the rubber boot back and check condition of wiring. There's quite a few wires in there and they do tend to rub through or even break. that's where i'd start.

Last edited:
When the doors open & you click unlock on the remote, can you hear any clicking of the door lock, if not, then check the door hinge rubber for broken wires 1st & it could be the lock electronics have gone, but mechanically it should work unless the bar connecting the handle has come unhooked.

I had this exact same problem it's the door lock mechanism not working, you can only buy these brand new from Audi or 2nd hand so I bought a 2nd hand one and changed it myself from a guide I found online about 6 week ago and it's been fine since. If you google it there's multiple threads about it.

Reactions: Chrismawa
My S3 started doing this yesterday too ! passenger door wont unlock with remote but will lock fine.

When you figure out the solution report back. ive looked on here theres lots of people asking the questions but not found anyone posting the solution except try a new motor

That's because that is the solution, type it into Google and have a good look around you will see lots of threads about it.
I found a thread where someone had took the door lock mechanism to pieces and inside there was a microswitch that over time had started to stick and caused this problem so when you unlock the car with the remote the microswitch move so doesn't unlock that door which is what my car did and you have to go inside and pull the handle to open it.
Now I'm not clever enough or can even be bothered to take a door lock mechanism to pieces to look for a microswitch so I simply bought a 2nd hand door lock from a breakers for £35 and something called a spline bit (to get the big bolts out of the side of the door that holds the lock in) rather than paying about £100 plus whatever fitting costs from Audi and found a guide online and on YouTube on how to change it and it took me about 30 minutes to do and not had any problems since it now unlocks every time

Sounds like hooking problem to me. Check what comes on screen when door is opened and closed to see if micro switch is faulty. Compare handles to see if resistance is same or wether passenger-side door handle is loose...

If your microswitches is faulty here's a video

Going to order a new door locking mechanism today. So hopefully will have this fixed tomorrow!

Replaced the locking mechanism tonight and it has fixed the problem! Took about an hour but it was pretty easy and straight forward. So for anyone else who cant open the door from the outside but all door electrics still work it will be the locking mechanism at fault.

Thanks for everyones help. If i didnt post on here it would have probably been an expensive bill from Audi!

got the same problem. All wiring looks good so its the lock mechanism. It looks like any easy fix and one hour is probably spot on.

That's because that is the solution, type it into Google and have a good look around you will see lots of threads about it.
I found a thread where someone had took the door lock mechanism to pieces and inside there was a microswitch that over time had started to stick and caused this problem so when you unlock the car with the remote the microswitch move so doesn't unlock that door which is what my car did and you have to go inside and pull the handle to open it.
Now I'm not clever enough or can even be bothered to take a door lock mechanism to pieces to look for a microswitch so I simply bought a 2nd hand door lock from a breakers for £35 and something called a spline bit (to get the big bolts out of the side of the door that holds the lock in) rather than paying about £100 plus whatever fitting costs from Audi and found a guide online and on YouTube on how to change it and it took me about 30 minutes to do and not had any problems since it now unlocks every time

Think I have the same with rear door on my A3, is it the same process with a rear as only found that video for the front, anyone know?

I've got the exact same issue and fault codes.
I bought a new locking mechanism, changed it (took about an hour like everyone else is saying) reset the fault codes and......nothing!
I still have the problem.
When the door is open and I press the key fob to lock and unlock, I can hear the clicks and clicks.
The resistance on the door handles feels the same.
I'm at a complete loss.
I've been reading lots of different threads but havent found one where they still have the issue after changing the locking mechanism.
Can anyone shed any light as to what might be the issue please?
Thanks

Is there anything else I should check?

How much are we talking for a genuine VAG part?

I'd contact the seller on ebay and ask for an exchange/replacement. My guess is as above, a faulty lock mech. I'm pretty sure from audi or TPS they are in the region of £130. I've had 3 of my 4 doors all go the same way and always got secondhand ones after i found the price for a new genuine one.

Thanks, I bought the part end of last year so doubtful of replacement but 'dont ask, dont get' I suppose.
If not I'll have to buy another but I'll look into second hand genuine working part rather than 3rd party.

Mine wouldn't open from the outside, so removed the door card, drilled a little hole at the top of the lock, filled it with wd40 and it's been fine for the 6 months or so since.

I've got the exact same issue and fault codes.
I bought a new locking mechanism, changed it (took about an hour like everyone else is saying) reset the fault codes and......nothing!
I still have the problem.
When the door is open and I press the key fob to lock and unlock, I can hear the clicks and clicks.
The resistance on the door handles feels the same.
I'm at a complete loss.
I've been reading lots of different threads but havent found one where they still have the issue after changing the locking mechanism.
Can anyone shed any light as to what might be the issue please?
Thanks
Did you ever get to the source of the problem? I’m having the same issues after pay £227 for a lock from tps

Mine wouldn't open from the outside, so removed the door card, drilled a little hole at the top of the lock, filled it with wd40 and it's been fine for the 6 months or so since.
Ok, this is still working after 3 years lol

Have you checked for broken wires in the between the door and the body?
From what I can see they look ok ,the lock mechanism is clicking and you can feel it trying to open when I put my hand actually on the lock mechanism inside the door so power must be getting to it . I spoke to tps and suggested it may be a faulty new lock but got told to jog and and no refund on this part

From what I can see they look ok ,the lock mechanism is clicking and you can feel it trying to open when I put my hand actually on the lock mechanism inside the door so power must be getting to it . I spoke to tps and suggested it may be a faulty new lock but got told to jog and and no refund on this part
Yeah is pretty clear cut (pun intended) if they are broken

I guess it would depend on which wire was broken