Passenger door wont open

Mik

Reaction score
I have a problem with my passenger door - it won't open. This used to be intermittent but now it won't open at all. Has any body had this problem before and can you advise please. I had the same thing on my old S3, but it only wouldn't open from the outside. If I had a sunroof, I use that!!
Thanks

Sounds like you have been ignoring a lot of problems on your car and they have gotten worse.
I assume your MOT is due shortly and you are now trying to get all these faults fixed ASAP?

Does it not open from inside and outside, or only the one side?
Have you had the car fault scanned to see if there are errors relating to door locks etc?

Sounds like you have been ignoring a lot of problems on your car and they have gotten worse.
I assume your MOT is due shortly and you are now trying to get all these faults fixed ASAP?

Does it not open from inside and outside, or only the one side?
Have you had the car fault scanned to see if there are errors relating to door locks etc?

Davey, you hit the nail on the head, I'm chuckling to myself here, though I'm not sure if that's a good sign or not!! The driver side is fine, the passenger doesn't open from the inside or out. I haven't run a scan on it yet, I'd have to take it into a garage and don't have the equipment myself

Have a look at the VCDS map at the top of the forum, you may find someone close to your location who can do a scan for you and help point you in the right direction.

Have a look at the VCDS map at the top of the forum, you may find someone close to your location who can do a scan for you and help point you in the right direction.

That's great thanks for the pointers, I'm in North Wales and seen there's a couple around me, I'll message them thanks

Reactions: Daveyonthemove
Put you're ear next to the door that doesn't open from inside or out? Can you hear the locking mechanism?

I had this problem on Both rear doors on my audi and got it fixed about a month ago. Its a door lock actuator that you need. Make sure that you check you're current part number as Audi have so many variations. They have 7-pin,8-pin and 9-pin. You can pick one up from ebay max £60

In terms of fixing this, if you can't open the from the inside or out, its going to be a 2 hourish job to fix it.

Hope this helps.

So if it does not operate using either inside or outside handle it is stuck in the locked position so it makes the latches inoperative. So it is that part of the lock has broken.
Some people have had success repeatedly thumping the inside of the door whilst pressing the unlock button on the fob repeatedly. Have another person operate the door handles at the same time and you might get lucky.
Time for a new door lock. But at least if you can get the door open it is easier to get the door card off.

Gotcha. Ok so far I know the door actuator might be bad so how do I remove it? I can’t open the rear door from inside and outside.

Gotcha. Ok so far I know the door actuator might be bad so how do I remove it? I can’t open the rear door from inside and outside.
Firstly has the door lever in the car got any resistance or is it limp when you pull it , cause if it has resistance then the cable behind doorcard is still attached check first

Yeah it’s got resistance it’s not limp. It feels like it’s gonna open but it doesn’t click when you pull the handle to open from the inside.

I have limited knowledge off the workings off the inside mechanisms off the door only other thing i would say is if possible get your car scanned and get the live data , by doing out put test done on passengers door ( think thats what its called ) and see if door unclicks when in the open position and then see if you can push door open if not then you would need to speak to @NHN ( retrofitter ) to seek advice on how to take doorcard off from the inside , personnelly i think it could be diffcult as there is 3 screws that have to be removed before you can lift it up and remove if you look in that guide you will see where torx driver goes and thats just 2 off the screws as the last one is on the very bootom off card which is covered when door is closed .

As of yesterday, i have the same problem in my A3. Changed the locking mech as the original didnt unlock at all. Not even with VCDS. The new one seemed fine to start with. Output tests with VCDS showed lock, safe, unlock. Locked, wouldnt open, unlocked, opened using the exterior handle. Now, it wont open at all. The mech can be heard working still. Both handles have resistance but its just as if the cables are pulling the mech far enough to pop it open. I just cannot open it from the inside or outside handle.

Did you sort it?

Last edited:
Ok, so i sorted my issue. The bar that goes from the lock mechanism to the outer handke was adjusted to far down so it worked once but the bar was stopping the mech from resetting properly. Luckily i was able to get the door card off enough from the inside in order to detach the bar and reset the mech fully. It then opened from the inside. Adjusted the bar properly and all is well.