Passenger Auto Dim Mirror.

@dandav1985 I'm in the same boat as you mate, retrofitted the new mirrors mainly to gain the folding mechanism. I have been wondering how hard it would be to get the dimming feature to work. Did you have to code anything to get the dimming to work after the wiring ?

@dandav1985 I'm in the same boat as you mate, retrofitted the new mirrors mainly to gain the folding mechanism. I have been wondering how hard it would be to get the dimming feature to work. Did you have to code anything to get the dimming to work after the wiring ?

Hello, No coding was needed as I already had the drivers one fitted. But i don't think you need to coding anyway if you have the rear view dimming mirror fitted. I have the wiring from the rear view mirror to the door jam plugs for sale if you need it.

Cheers Dan

Hello, No coding was needed as I already had the drivers one fitted. But i don't think you need to coding anyway if you have the rear view dimming mirror fitted. I have the wiring from the rear view mirror to the door jam plugs for sale if you need it.

Cheers Dan

Thats unusual as I have the interior dimming mirror fitted from factory, and the drivers side still isn't dimming. Did you mention you had the drivers one fitted from factory ?

Thats unusual as I have the interior dimming mirror fitted from factory, and the drivers side still isn't dimming. Did you mention you had the drivers one fitted from factory ?

Yes the drivers one was fitted from the Factory with the power fold function.

Cheers Dan

Yes the drivers one was fitted from the Factory with the power fold function.

Cheers Dan

Oh I see, I didn't have power fold from factory. Although the existing door module worked fine. How much would you sell the wiring for mate ?

Thanks, Callum

Does your driver mirror have the dimming glass? It's a rare feature even in power folding mirrors. If it doesn't, you will need to buy a new glass and maybe modify the mirror wiring. If you used a power folding retrofit kit, the wires are probably already present as the kit manufacturers add all wires possible, including lane change assist lights. About the connection to the interior mirror, it seems that the cars that have only the interior dimming mirror fitted from factory and not the exterior mirrors have a wiring loom with only 4 wires: power, ground, signal from reverse gear and signal from roof light. In order to send the dimming signal to the exterior mirror it needs 2 additional wires that aren't present in all cars. That's probably Audi's way to save millions in manufacturing costs.

Can someone give me a description of how well the door mirrors dim,before l go and make a **** of myself with a Audi Tech next week?my rear view dims exceedingly well with rear traffic, both my mirrors are way brighter with rear traffic l know privacy glass helps but not this much,l focused a led torch on both mirrors engine running auto lights on and they didnt dim,should they have

Best way to find out is tape up the sensor on the rear of the rear view mirror, turn the headlights on and shine a torch in to the sensor at the bottom of the rear view mirror and both mirrors should turn blue like the one in the picture, reply 39.

Cheers Dan

Reactions: Jassyo06
Can someone give me a description of how well the door mirrors dim,before l go and make a **** of myself with a Audi Tech next week?my rear view dims exceedingly well with rear traffic, both my mirrors are way brighter with rear traffic l know privacy glass helps but not this much,l focused a led torch on both mirrors engine running auto lights on and they didnt dim,should they have

From what I can remember Jassy they should pretty much be on par with the rear view mirror.

Best way to find out is tape up the sensor on the rear of the rear view mirror, turn the headlights on and shine a torch in to the sensor at the bottom of the rear view mirror and both mirrors should turn blue like the one in the picture, reply 39.

Cheers Dan

Thanks mate they dont turn blue at all,they dont dim knew it

yeah both my mirrors dont dim cheers mate

Silly question, did you spec them? If so, they should look to sort it for you, or at least foot the bill as it's a long way to go to them!

Silly question, did you spec them? If so, they should look to sort it for you, or at least foot the bill as it's a long way to go to them!

Av booked it in to my local Audi dealer,l specced power folding mirrors isnt the dimming not standard on the 2018 model??????

just checked on the configurator when power folding mirrors are chosen they have auto dimming on both as standard, av got just council folding mirrors lol

Reactions: Tom.H
Av booked it in to my local Audi dealer,l specced power folding mirrors isnt the dimming not standard on the 2018 model??????

Hmm folding dimming mirrors is the only option on the config now! Have to get them to check your build mate, something should say exactly what you've added.

6XK looks to be the mirrors with auto dim

Can't say I've often felt the need for dimming side mirrors, rear view yes hence I'm getting it fitted but sides.. nah. Maybe if I had used them I would think otherwise though :)

6XK looks to be the mirrors with auto dim
You can check your Customer's Service Schedule book. It probably has a sticker on one of the first pages that contains the vehicle's VIN number and a lot of three-letter/number codes. If it has codes like 6XK, 6XT or 6XW, it means that it has auto-dimming and folding mirrors fitted from factory. Codes 6XE, 6XF, 6XL have only the folding feature.

You can check your Customer's Service Schedule book. It probably has a sticker on one of the first pages that contains the vehicle's VIN number and a lot of three-letter/number codes. If it has codes like 6XK, 6XT or 6XW, it means that it has auto-dimming and folding mirrors fitted from factory. Codes 6XE, 6XF, 6XL have only the folding feature.

Great thanks l never ordered them then appointment cancelled,so dimming isnt standard on a 2018 model...saves me taking the day off work,l just thought they missed fitting them

Reactions: Rcord
Great thanks l never ordered them then appointment cancelled,so dimming isnt standard on a 2018 model...saves me taking the day off work,l just thought they missed fitting them

Seems like they are now if you select folding mirrors as folding/dimming mirrors is the only option. Be good if they just had an option and stuck with it rather than messing about with them!

Thanks for your help Rcord, finally got the wiring in the mirror fitted, luckily enough the wiring in the door and from the internal mirror was already fitted from the factory. So I only needed to fit the wiring on the passenger mirror.

Once again thanks for the help

Dan

Dang. That's fantastic news. I need to get on this.

Reactions: dandav1985
Can't say I've often felt the need for dimming side mirrors, rear view yes hence I'm getting it fitted but sides.. nah. Maybe if I had used them I would think otherwise though :)

They’re very good for artic’s up your **** on the motorway

Any of you left hooker drivers fancy giving me the part number for their drivers side dimming mirror? or confirm this one for me. 8V0 857 535G the one i have ends in and F and seems to magnify everything lol.......doing my nappa in.

Cheers Dan

Any of you left hooker drivers fancy giving me the part number for their drivers side dimming mirror? or confirm this one for me. 8V0 857 535G the one i have ends in and F and seems to magnify everything lol.......doing my nappa in.

Cheers Dan
"H" is for aspherical-wide angle, "G" is convex and "F" is flat (doesn't really magnify, it's the others that make things look smaller).

Reactions: dandav1985
I think it's the H I'm after, as the one I have is making objects behind look like they are right up my **** lol.

Cheers

Reactions: Rcord
I think it's the H I'm after, as the one I have is making objects behind look like they are right up my **** lol.

The F type is probably used only in the USA and Canada because of regulations of these countries require that the driver mirror glass is flat. In the rest of the world they use the H or G types. In my case I had originally a non-dimming G on the driver side and replaced it with a dimming H. This aspherical/wide angle type is great for the driver side because it has those two zones, divided by a dashed line, that expand the range of view , but I don't know if it's an useful feature for the passenger side.
Maybe the best type for your passenger side is a G. Did you check which type your original mirror was?

Finally found out what connectors are used in A3 8V dimming mirrors. They are JAE MX19 series connectors, model MX19002P51 on the glass and MX19002S51 in the mirror harness. Hope this information will be useful for someone who needs to add wiring to a mirror that doesn't have a dimming glass and wants to use the same connectors as mirrors that have dimming from factory.
Curiously, it seems that these connectors are used mostly in Harley Davidson motorcycles.

You're welcome. I think the most complex part in this kind of retrofit is the fact that your mirror doesn't have the wirings for the auto-dim glass. In this case, you have to add a pair of wires to the existing wiring loom. It's possible to do that and I did it with my mirror successfully. But you'll have to remove the mirror from the car and disassemble it in order to gain total access to the loom. It has both ends sealed with tape and it also has a heat shrinkable sleeve on the mirror end. In order to allow the insertion of the adittional wires, you also have to remove two zip ties and a grommet from the loom, and release it from a turn around a pole located in the mirror base, locked with a tooth lock washer. The zip ties can be unlocked with a sharp point tool without cutting them so you can reuse. The grommet can be shifted away from the loom tubing by moving toward the 16-pin connector. Once the wiring loom is free from all of those constraints, you can pass the two wires for the mirror glass inside the tube, along with the existing wires.

On the 16-pin connector the wires should be connected to MQS 0.63 mm female terminals, inserted on slots 2 and 6. The repair cable part number corresponding to these terminals is 000979009E. On thee mirror side there should be a two-pin connector for the mirror glass, but I couldn't discover what connector type it is. In my case I connected the wires from the loom directly to the wires installed on the glass instead of using connectors. The only problem is that now I have to cut wires in case I have to replace the glass but I don't worry about it. Anyway, it's possible that you find some type of part number on the connector you have on the glass that helps you to identify what type of connector it is.

I think it's a good idea programming to do all that when you have plenty of time since you'll have to remove the door trim, remove the mirror, make the modifications and reinstall mirror and trim and it may take a whole day. All other connections and routing of wires are much simpler. In my car the wirings in the door wiring loom (connecting the control module to the door disconnector) were already present, even though my car didn't have any dimming mirror, so chances are that your car already have them present too. In this case, all you have to add is the the wiring connecting the interior mirror to the door disconnector, which is a 27-pin connector located close to the door hinges. You can access it by removing the bottom A-pilar trim. There should be a small square window through wich you can pull the existent wiring loom in order to gain access to the connector. The terminals to be used in this connector are type MCON 1.2 mm male, corresponding repair cable part number is 000979035E. Good luck!

oh that's right. now I'm thinking of it. I do have electric folding mirrors so there will probably already be a wire. But I wonder how come there might be an existing connector when I have the electric folding mirrors since I head that before. Is it just that usually both functions are provided together in the OEM loom ? so that whenever you have electric folding mirros, you will also have the connector for the auto-dimming mirror? Because both functions do go to different pin slots so it's not like they share some common connection

Last edited:
oh that's right. now I'm thinking of it. I do have electric folding mirrors so there will probably already be a wire. But I wonder how come there might be an existing connector when I have the electric folding mirrors since I head that before. Is it just that usually both functions are provided together in the OEM loom ? so that whenever you have electric folding mirros, you will also have the connector for the auto-dimming mirror? Because both functions do go to different pin slots so it's not like they share some common connection

Dimming glass uses pins 2 and 6 on the connector to the door module, while the folding motor uses pins 9 and 10. I guess that folding mirrors are prepared to get auto-dimming mirror glasses even if they don't have them from factory because the manufacturer didn't found it practical or cost effective to produce so many combinations of features. You should check your passenger side anyway. It seems that only FL models are prepared to have auto-dimming glass on both sides.

Dimming glass uses pins 2 and 6 on the connector to the door module, while the folding motor uses pins 9 and 10. I guess that folding mirrors are prepared to get auto-dimming mirror glasses even if they don't have them from factory because the manufacturer didn't found it practical or cost effective to produce so many combinations of features. You should check your passenger side anyway. It seems that only FL models are prepared to have auto-dimming glass on both sides.

Yeah that's also what I think.

As for the other connections, I guess there is just 1 tapping proces of two wires needed and that is from the disconnector plug to the door module, since there would already be a wire coming from the A-pillar and pinned into the disconnector plug.

Yeah that's also what I think.

As for the other connections, I guess there is just 1 tapping proces of two wires needed and that is from the disconnector plug to the door module, since there would already be a wire coming from the A-pillar and pinned into the disconnector plug.

Maybe not. My car already had the wiring from the disconnector to the door module even though it didn't have any dimming mirrors, interior or exterior. I had to do the wiring from the interior mirror to the disconnector. Check your wiring. Maybe you'll have to add 2 wires to the interior mirror harness because it probably has only 4 wires and you'll need 6.

Maybe not. My car already had the wiring from the disconnector to the door module even though it didn't have any dimming mirrors, interior or exterior. I had to do the wiring from the interior mirror to the disconnector. Check your wiring. Maybe you'll have to add 2 wires to the interior mirror harness because it probably has only 4 wires and you'll need 6.

The reason I said that because from what I've understand is that the pins from the interior mirror to the disconnector should be the same as the two pins from the disconnector to the door module. When you did the wiring from the interior mirror to the disconnector, the pins weren't already occupied? (by wires going to the door module)

If I look on the wiring diagrapm, it looks like there is indeed a shared connection. So it's interesting that it was probably different in your case?

The reason I said that because from what I've understand is that the pins from the interior mirror to the disconnector should be the same as the two pins from the disconnector to the door module. When you did the wiring from the interior mirror to the disconnector, the pins weren't already occupied? (by wires going to the door module)

If I look on the wiring diagrapm, it looks like there is indeed a shared connection. So it's interesting that it was probably different in your case?

There was only the wiring from the door module to the door-side of the disconnector. Pins in the car-side of the disconnector were empty. Doesn't seem to make sense but, again, maybe it was a way to reduce costs of production by avoiding manufacturing so many different door harnesses for different feature configurations.

Is there some unlocking mechanism with the disconnector too before you can insert the pin? Do you have an idea how it went? Just started with this retrofit.
Now also need to locate the disonnector first

So the wire from the interior mirror goes to the door disconnector right? So that should be point A on the picture. In the door connector there would be another side to pin that will further lead to the door module right? But what is the best way to guide the wire to the door module? Since the wire will be “inside” the door that i cant see . Or am i misunderstanding something?

maybe you can draw some circles on the picture to show which route you went.

Attachments

• 5FD4CEBC-450A-4C19-A523-62AE04A3BDE6.jpeg
    5FD4CEBC-450A-4C19-A523-62AE04A3BDE6.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 239
Last edited: