Parts and tools required to change the brake rotors and pads

Jon_w

Reaction score
When I moved abroad, I left with a backpack, so my tool box is very empty at the moment. Screwdrivers, hammer etc. but not any torx bits like almost everything on the A3 uses.

I am going to change the brakes at the weekend, got new blackdash rotors and EBC pads, but was wondering what tools I need to actually complete the job. And if there were any other parts, locking rings etc.

I will be changing the brakes at the farm, which is 1 hour and a ferry trip away from where I live, so you can understand I want to make sure I have all the tools, before I pull the brakes off.

Also, which brake fluid should I change to, how much, how etc... First time for me.

At the moment I have rotors, pads, and was going to buy some jack stands too. What else, or has anyone done a write up? I couldn't see anything in the search or sticky's.

You doing the rears aswell?? Yu will need a piston windback tool if you are!!!

Cant belive u had a falcon XR8 ute, i had a falcon xr6 when i was in aus and that was a fast motor!!!

yep, disks and pads all round. The piston windback tool, is that generic, or one specific to Audi. ie, can I buy in it a normal autoparts store.

Anything else? locking bolts for the disks etc? Anything that is specific to changing the brakes on an audi instead of another car?

The ute was great fun, very light on the rear. company car though. Considering a maloo now, think its better looking than the falcon, but need to move closer to work first. Fuel prices aren't like they were in aus.

I got mine from a norma autospares shop, but do check that it works with Audi (mine said on the box), the rear piston twists as it comes out and the tool twists the piston back and applies pressure. Not sure about what other tools (other than a socket) as i only changed the pads. It was a fairly easy task tho tbh!

I managed to find out what its called in norwegian, and where to get it. 50 quid though! guess it'll save money in the long term. Local garage wanted 260 just for labour!

Is it recommended to use loctite on the caliper mounting bolts?