Particulate Filter Fault

aphill24

Reaction score
It doesn't rain it pours.

Yet another fault came up today as noted in the thread. I will be having the car scanned on monday but can anyone give me an Idea how much it might cost with the little information I have

This is the symbol

images

Please don't say £500 or I'm going to cry

It really all depends. It could just be a sensor or a blocked sensor pipe.
Could be a blocked dpf.
You really need vcds to tell you. How many miles is your car on?

Reactions: aphill24
It really all depends. It could just be a sensor or a blocked sensor pipe.
Could be a blocked dpf.
You really need vcds to tell you. How many miles is your car on?
It's got 132k, would the throttle actuator fault have caused this as I have heard they could be related?

Sorry to hear about this, could be worth getting some DPF cleaner stuff from Halfords and seeing how that goes.

They are known to have a life span about 120k.
Wurth do a cleaner you put into the dpf
it's self. Then do a regen. I've used it on my Leon and it worked great.
If you've got a faulty anti shudder valve which isn't fully opening. You could easily be coming the engine and creating extra soot.
Best to get it plugged into vcds. If you don't have it. Check the vcds map for someone near you and offer them beer or wine tokens.

At 132K it is close to the end of it's life. However it could be an issue with a sensor as stated above. The differential pressure sensor on the DPF is a common failure or it could be one of the EGT sensors.

Ye Audi start checking the ash loading levels every 10k miles once you reach the 120k miles mark. I guess at that point the DPF gets to a stage where the burned ash remaining starts filling up to the point the unit needs replacing.

EDIT: If you have a ODB dongle, you can use the VAG DPF app to check your ash loading levels and DPF loading values. Dongle can be obtained from the Bay for like £3 and the app works fine with my B8.5, which as I understand is mostly using the same engines as the B8's.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what an anti-shudder valve is sorry. It has a fault with the throttle body flap not closing properly and is going in for some work on monday.
I will leave it for the fitter to look at but it seems I am going to be shelling out yet more money.
I will mention the cleaner but he will probably know that anyway.
Any ideas what the worst case scenario could be? a new dpf, how much is that?

I may be shot. But for 250 quid you can send your ecu to darkside for them to map out your dpf. Then get someone to gut your dpf for you.

I think this sounds like what I might want if the dpf is shot. I am not jumping the gun until the codes are read on monday but as I have an 8 mile commute without getting on a motorway I would prefer it to be removed and mapped out.
Does it sound like a good option compared to the £250 from darkside and extra to have it removed?
Here is the link: http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/audi-a4-dpf-removal/

I've never had it done so can't comment what's best. I've just seen the options.

I think this sounds like what I might want if the dpf is shot. I am not jumping the gun until the codes are read on monday but as I have an 8 mile commute without getting on a motorway I would prefer it to be removed and mapped out.
Does it sound like a good option compared to the £250 from darkside and extra to have it removed?
Here is the link: http://www.angeltuning.co.uk/audi-a4-dpf-removal/

Best solution even if the dpf and egr are sound.

A bit on the £ rich side .

2017-06-24-10-55-23-jpg.129033

Hi Gaz, i spoke to the fitter today and he was very wary of me going down the dpf removal route as he says they could change the law on the mot and fail it if it was removed?
Do you agree that this could happen. i guess the worst case that if it does come true is to buy a new one anyway , cross that bridge when and if it happens?

Best solution even if the dpf and egr are sound.

A bit on the £ rich side .

2017-06-24-10-55-23-jpg.129033

Just depends on emissions with diesels and whether or not the mod is visible under the car, I generally try to find a place which is most likely to pass the car regardless, I know that's not an option for everyone but mine is looked after far better than almost anything else on the road, just don't think it's worth replacing things like this if they're prone to clog again. My parents argue the reason they don't want a blind MOT is because they want their car's to have a proper look over encase anything else is wrong but my car generally goes into a few garages throughout the year who advise me of anything out of place.