Partial upgrade of MMI 2G to 3G - possible?

jbourne

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some advice on upgrading from a very old 2G to 3G, but only partially. I have a RS6, which came with a red screen 2G (so low-res MMI) and Bose.

I’m installing RSNAV so I actually don’t care about either the screen or the nav functionality of 3G, but I just want something compatible with what I have - so I’m wondering if I can upgrade just the head unit and the MMI unit maybe? I.e. ignore the screen etc. What would be the minimum number of units required for this? Head unit, CD changer and CAN gateway maybe?

Thanks for any advice!

If your retrofiting 3G, then you cannot ignore the screen, the 2G screen won't work, as it's a different connector, and completely incompatible and you will need the screen to configure the 3G mmi system. What you need is a new can-gateway, 5f module (replaces the control head). The radio module and amp are not compatible with 3G so if you need the audio and radio working they need to be replaced.

I see. The only functionality I really care about is audio - even the screen doesn’t bother me as RSNAV would take over that (it allows you to route the original signal through itself, so you can flip over to the OEM display by pressing a button) - but it sounds like I can’t get away from replacing the Bose amp, can gateway and the 5F module at the minimum, plus a lot of wiring, right?

If you buy a used 5F module it won't have the correct configuration for your car so would need to see the engineering menu to configure it, so you will need a screen to get the basic functions working. You will Also need wiring harness changes and have component protection removing from the 5F, AMP and gateway. It won't be a quick or easy install. Also if you need any dis information in the cluster you will need that replacing with a 3G version and the same goes if you want any heating controls displayed.