Facelift Part of DRL Not Working

Tom Chapman

Reaction score
Hi, new to the forum here so sorry if this is something that has been posted before.

I noticed in the reflection on the back of another car the other day that after my indicator switched off, the top portion of the DRL on my lefthand side didn't turn back on to its bright white state and stayed at a dull yellow glow. There are no error messages coming up in the car, and the right headlight is functioning normally.

I was wondering whether this was a wiring or software issue that can be fixed relatively easily and not a problem with the headlight, as I'd rather not have to replace the whole unit.

I've attached a picture for clarity, any advice on what the problem might be and if someone has heard of a similar issue would be greatly appreciated.

IMG 4714

Hi, new to the forum here so sorry if this is something that has been posted before.

I noticed in the reflection on the back of another car the other day that after my indicator switched off, the top portion of the DRL on my lefthand side didn't turn back on to its bright white state and stayed at a dull yellow glow. There are no error messages coming up in the car, and the right headlight is functioning normally.

I was wondering whether this was a wiring or software issue that can be fixed relatively easily and not a problem with the headlight, as I'd rather not have to replace the whole unit.

I've attached a picture for clarity, any advice on what the problem might be and if someone has heard of a similar issue would be greatly appreciated.

View attachment 213831
https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/dim-drl-light.416431/

Happened to my 67 S3 Saloon a few months ago. Not repairable I believe, its a new unit. All dealt with under warranty, before I sold the car

When did you buy the car/still in warranty?
On a side note, is that Nano Grey or Daytona? Nice colour

Last edited:
DRL has its own lighting module which is replaceable. The module in question is located on the wing side of the light and has SMD LED's on it which are married with the headlight clusters light tubes.

Thanks, it’s a very dirty Daytona aha

Unfortunately not in warranty anymore.

I’d read elsewhere that the indicator and the DRL used the same LED’s, hence why I was hoping as the indicator worked the DRL not working might be a control unit issue.

The turn signal LED is actually part of the cluster and cannot be replaced one its own like the DRL. If your turn signal is not working then its new headlight time unless there is an issue with the main control module.

DRL has its own lighting module which is replaceable. The module in question is located on the wing side of the light and has SMD LED's on it which are married with the headlight clusters light tubes.
The turn signal LED is actually part of the cluster and cannot be replaced one its own like the DRL. If your turn signal is not working then its new headlight time unless there is an issue with the main control module.

Well my indicator is still working so this is encouraging to hear! Guess as soon as I can I'll try to get the module replaced

Well my indicator is still working so this is encouraging to hear! Guess as soon as I can I'll try to get the module replaced
First thing to do is swap modules from left to right and see if the fault moves. DRL module is "sided" but you can plug in loosely in order to test. Headlight out, which is bumper off in order to correctly access the module. Myself, I remove the wheel and arch liner and attack from the back.

Hi. Didyou manage to resove the issue? I have the lower half of the DRL not working. I hope it is just a module issue as I do not wish to fork out stupid money for a new headlight

I've seen a few other posts recently regarding DRL's that have displayed the same as mine did so thought I'd finally update as to what happened.

I drove around with the broken DRL for about 6 months until I finally got round to buying a replacement headlight on Ebay (£600 still hurt but not as much as the £1600 Audi were quoting me) and actually finding the time to fit it.

On opening the headlight up I found that the LED's from the module themselves were still working fine, but they had over time melted the lower part of the light tube, which explains why only a dull yellow colour was showing and not just zero light at all.
IMG 5729

IMG 5727

Anyway, swapped all the modules from the old light over to the new one and its as good as new (albeit with the same module in that melted my old headlight, but granted that happened after 100'000 miles so hopefully I have a few more in it before it happens again.)

IMG 5730

I wonder if you were able to get a Dremel in there and remove all of the melted plastic and perhaps polish the end of the light tube back up again it would avoid buying a completely new headlight. This would only work for the top portion of the DRL though because as far as I can tell there is no way to get to the lower portion.

Reactions: InflamesJon
I've seen a few other posts recently regarding DRL's that have displayed the same as mine did so thought I'd finally update as to what happened.

I drove around with the broken DRL for about 6 months until I finally got round to buying a replacement headlight on Ebay (£600 still hurt but not as much as the £1600 Audi were quoting me) and actually finding the time to fit it.

On opening the headlight up I found that the LED's from the module themselves were still working fine, but they had over time melted the lower part of the light tube, which explains why only a dull yellow colour was showing and not just zero light at all.
View attachment 243365

View attachment 243366

Anyway, swapped all the modules from the old light over to the new one and its as good as new (albeit with the same module in that melted my old headlight, but granted that happened after 100'000 miles so hopefully I have a few more in it before it happens again.)

View attachment 243367

I wonder if you were able to get a Dremel in there and remove all of the melted plastic and perhaps polish the end of the light tube back up again it would avoid buying a completely new headlight. This would only work for the top portion of the DRL though because as far as I can tell there is no way to get to the lower portion.
Thank you it was very helpful... I have the lower portion of my light which is yellow. but im assuming if that is separate from the top of the DRL that too should also have a light source right? Has anyone managed to resolve the bottom part of the DRL by switching out the module?

Attachments

• a3.jpeg
    a3.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 292
Thank you it was very helpful... I have the lower portion of my light which is yellow. but im assuming if that is separate from the top of the DRL that too should also have a light source right? Has anyone managed to resolve the bottom part of the DRL by switching out the module?
My 17 S3 just did this in the past week? Did you end up fixing it? The bottom part of mine also died. I'm not sure if there is a second source of light for the bottom.
20220603 203206

Hi, has anyone found a fix for the lower DRL issue? I have just bought a 2016 FL S3 and noticed both of my headlights have faulty lower DRL.

Hi, has anyone found a fix for the lower DRL issue? I have just bought a 2016 FL S3 and noticed both of my headlights have faulty lower DRL.
So the bottom half isn't a relatively easy fix like the top half. Thankfully my car was still under its extended warranty. I had to have the whole headlight replaced under warranty. It's fixed now, but you can tell the color temp of the new one vs the original one.

I took mine apart and the top half lights were fine and the tube was also good. Bottom half is housed inside the headlight itself. You'd have to bake it and take it apart. It's a huge pain, some shops apparently are good at rebuilding them.

TL;DR: if the bottom half is out, there is no easy fix, either whole headlight replacement, rebuild it yourself or take it somewhere. If you're under warranty, taking it in is the best bet.

Attachments

• 20220620_204443.jpg
    20220620_204443.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 306
So the bottom half isn't a relatively easy fix like the top half. Thankfully my car was still under its extended warranty. I had to have the whole headlight replaced under warranty. It's fixed now, but you can tell the color temp of the new one vs the original one.

I took mine apart and the top half lights were fine and the tube was also good. Bottom half is housed inside the headlight itself. You'd have to bake it and take it apart. It's a huge pain, some shops apparently are good at rebuilding them.

TL;DR: if the bottom half is out, there is no easy fix, either whole headlight replacement, rebuild it yourself or take it somewhere. If you're under warranty, taking it in is the best bet.
Thanks for your quick reply, that's really annoying to know its a whole headlight unit to fix the issue. I guess I'll just live with it until it really winds me up and I change them over haha

Thanks for your quick reply, that's really annoying to know its a whole headlight unit to fix the issue. I guess I'll just live with it until it really winds me up and I change them over haha
Yeah it's weird that the top half is pretty easy to fix and get to, but the bottom isn't.

If it bothers you, just know that it was $2700 to replace it, parts and labor at the dealership. Thankfully the warranty company footed the bill. It might bother you less at that price

I read that some folks just turned their DRLs off, it's harder to notice at night with the full headlights on

Yeah it's weird that the top half is pretty easy to fix and get to, but the bottom isn't.

If it bothers you, just know that it was $2700 to replace it, parts and labor at the dealership. Thankfully the warranty company footed the bill. It might bother you less at that price

I read that some folks just turned their DRLs off, it's harder to notice at night with the full headlights on
Thankfully both headlights have the issue so they match, if only one side was faulty the OCD in me would be freaking out and I'd need to fix instantly!

I’m having the same issue with my A3. The bottom portion on the passenger side is dim. I don’t want to spend the money to get a whole new headlight. But the uneven lights are killing me. Anyone know if there is a way to deactivate the bottom potion of the drl on both sides with VCDS, so there is just a straight line on top? I know that it would look like a base A3. But that would beat the unevenness imo.

Hi all. I'm new here but I've been following this thread for a while. I have answers for you all :)
Long story short, I have a 2017 Audi A3 Black Ed with full LED headlights. After a very unusual hot summer in the UK the lower DRL of the right-hand side headlight got dimmed. Following up all the other DRLs started dimming as well.
I took the matter on my own hands after nearly a year of research and a £1800 price tag on a new Headlight.
I baked the headlight open, changed the acrylic tubes and cleaned the LED modules. Sealed the headlight back together and everything is as good as new now. The DRLs went back to being bright white instead of that very ugly yellowish colour.

Whatever information you need about those I have it for you so feel free to ask. I wouldn't want you guys to go through the pain of doing tonnes of research like I did cause is a true pain in the *** :D