Part number help please

den911

Reaction score
Hi, i have a A3 1.6tdi Cabriolet 2011 ..
I have had an issue with the drivers side motor and yesterday confirmed it was the motor ,i did purchase a 8P drivers window motor from ebay that i tried last night ,after re coding it i found it worked on all 4 windows and told me that my original motor was on its way out ,however it would not work for the via the roof down button or the one button , i put the old one back on and roof worked, so it appears i don't have the correct part ..
My OEM part number on the motor is 8P7 959 801 G .I have found a few with my part number but for the final digit which is G ,basically does anyone know the significance of the last digit , any help would be appreciated .Thanks

Have you been able to look at the drop down menu for coding as it should tell you in that box if you can enable the roof but you will have to do this via Vcds.
Try this link out ( https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/ )

Last edited:
Hi , no drop down menu in group 7 coding via vcds, my roof is already enabled as it works when i put the old motor back on ..
I have found i think what the part numbers mean and the last which is effectively the 10th out of the 9 digit part number is the generation number so i am hoping that anything with the same 9 digits should be fine, hopefully someone can confirm this

Hi , no drop down menu in group 7 coding via vcds, my roof is already enabled as it works when i put the old motor back on ..
I have found i think what the part numbers mean and the last which is effectively the 10th out of the 9 digit part number is the generation number so i am hoping that anything with the same 9 digits should be fine, hopefully someone can confirm this
I had a look on that part site and couldn't part number ending in G for a 2011 car but you can look through urself to see if you find . Hope it helps

You are correct in that the letter at the end denotes the revision and so in theory, later includes improvements. However, you need to ensure the part it bolts to has not been “improved” as well and so that everything still lines up. A check with your local parts person should give you a clue.
As an example where a later revision did not fit properly comes from my Mk 4 Golf where I needed a new undertray. With the latest revision, the mounting holes did not line up. Not a major problem as I could drill new holes in the plastic but still a nuisance.

You are correct in that the letter at the end denotes the revision and so in theory, later includes improvements. However, you need to ensure the part it bolts to has not been “improved” as well and so that everything still lines up. A check with your local parts person should give you a clue.
As an example where a later revision did not fit properly comes from my Mk 4 Golf where I needed a new undertray. With the latest revision, the mounting holes did not line up. Not a major problem as I could drill new holes in the plastic but still a nuisance.
Hi thanks for taking time to reply i do know all the mountings are the same for all from 2008-13 as i have a 8p0 2009 that works apart from complete roof removal ,just need to find out if i can use a C D G etc..

Hi i have just found out i can source a 8P7 959 801 H ... mine is a G from 12.10.10 really wish i could find out if it was useable

Hi Thanks for the link unfortunately it does not recognise my vin number
The link i sent you probably won't accept your vin, but if you look through the model , age off your car it should help you find a revision part . I did notice that there is different modules for the roof itself .not sure if that helps

Looks like i am going to have to purchase from TPS motor is still working so may just hang on until it goes and i have no choice but to eventually buy from TPS.

Capture

so you can use the F or G versions, but not A B C D or E.

you dont want to get it from TPS, youll be looking at £283.33 inc vat

have you considered swapping the motors over? you should be able to unscrew the motor from the ebay purchased one, and replace your worn motor

Hi i have just found out i can source a 8P7 959 801 H ... mine is a G from 12.10.10 really wish i could find out if it was useable

H doesnt appear to exist. you sure you arent mixing it up with one from a 3/5 door a3, which does have H version. according to etka, H for the 8P7 (cabrio) doesnt exist, nor does it on a google search.

View attachment 211135

so you can use the F or G versions, but not A B C D or E.

you dont want to get it from TPS, youll be looking at £283.33 inc vat

have you considered swapping the motors over? you should be able to unscrew the motor from the ebay purchased one, and replace your worn motor

H doesnt appear to exist. you sure you arent mixing it up with one from a 3/5 door a3, which does have H version. according to etka, H for the 8P7 (cabrio) doesnt exist, nor does it on a google search.
Hi yes i thought of that but it looks like the ebay one is smaller than the one on the car ..I did take the housing off the ebay motor to see if i could see anyway of what might be needed for a repair ,cant really get to the motor it self and the rest is just a long metal worm thread also i was just worried in case i couldn't get the worm thread to line up ..Thanks for taking time to help.

Hi just thought I would update, I have a 8P donor motor that gives me 2 options 1 swap motors as I know my original one is on its way out, 2 is to put my module on the donor motor.. Its was pretty easy getting the module out of the donor motor if its as easy out of mine I will try that first, as getting a motor back in a module is a bit tricky I know I have practiced on the donor one..

Update , i have swapped module from donor to origanal , pretty straight forward ..I then fit the unit and first i did a autoscan then checked that the module had the origanal code..i then tested passenger, two rears and finaly the drivers door all worked apart from the drivers door going up when i press down and down when i press up, Ok so i have power to all 4 windows next was the roof and that worked apart from drivers window going in the opposite direction ..Such as shame as it looked like a direct module swap would do the trick ..Next step is to swap motors as the housing on the donor is smaller than the origanal but as long as the worm fitting is the exact same length it should work ..Any help on the window if its a easy fix would be good if not at least i am getting somewere ..