parking sensors

honda ctr

Reaction score
Never had car with parking sensors some cars are harder to see out of others can admit I have pronged my car in reverse admittedley not paying attention but only minor.

just drove a freinds audi a5 full sensors plus visual screen to me there more of a hindrance then a help. Bleeping when im 2 miles away then you look at the screen.
thoughts and opinions?

oh yeh they ruin the look of the car. Like a girl having a beauty spot on her face but 4 of them.

I have to disagree, they're so small these days & body colour painted, you hardly notice them at all tbh.

2 miles away is rather an over statement mate, lol, I've had them on our cars & they've been great tbh, much easier to park with, not that I'm a terrible parker, although the missus car hasn't any & she parks on a dime, London driving for you lol, but still I would rather have with than without these days, call me lazy but hindrance isn't a word I would use :)

Minor prongs are still a prong mate :p

Reactions: The Challinor
I think they are very handy.
Surprised you haven't commented about the ACC crystal ball, is that like having a wart on the middle of your face? lol

Tend to agree. I have Parking system plus, and the rear beepers are useful but I'm not that taken with the front sensors or the visual display on the MMI. Not sure if I'd spec them again, not that useful but not very expensive either. I couldn't care less about the exterior look, the first gen ones were hideous, but they just look normal to me now.

On a dark coloured car the sensors are almost invisible. Slightly more noticeable on a light coloured car imo

They're very helpful for me as I have to drive though an archway and then maneuver around three other cars to get to my space which is right at the end.
It's all down to how useful they can be for the circumstances you're in.
I don't need them for parking when I'm out as 99% of my parking is into carparks so little to no parallel parking.

When I do venture where I do need to do parallel parking e.g. central London I use the wifes A1. Rather her alloys than mine :D

Reactions: Sandra
I wouldn't call them a hindrance. I've had a minor bump before whilst reversing and rushing, I momentarily forgot a bollard was behind the car and it was no longer visible. But I think if I had the sensors I would have avoided the bump. Luckily it only caused a minor scuff which I polished out :)

I've found the reversing sensors in my A3 useful especially when parallel parking at work and just gives me a little more confidence to reverse back a bit more than I normally would. You can also adjust the volume and tone in the settings, so it's easy to set them up so they're not annoying.

The only problem I've found on my previous A3 was that the rear sensors would sound as I was parking in a space I used where there were bushes by the side of the space. At the end of the space was a concrete waste bin and I did just touch it a couple of times.

With my current A3 I have a rear-view camera which gives me a much better view the same bin!

Wouldn't be without them, barely noticeable as they are small and body coloured. Could save a fortune in minor damage.

Reactions: Jassyo06
A more useful option than some in the brochure...................

Front parking sensors...eh? not really necessary had them on my RCZ...bleeeept unecessarily constantly,rear parking sensors are a must full stop and once you've had a rear reversing on a car? you wont want to do without it...IMO

I've got Audi A3 "Dark Knight vision" just now noticing every little thing about them...and it's surpising how many A3's dont have any parking sensors at all,but then again it's not really surprising the amount of money Audi charge FOR THESE...is it not about £565 for both?

I couldn't live without parking sensors now on my car. Wife's doesn't currently have them and it's a right pain. Make life so much easier. Saved me running over a small child once that I couldn't see in the mirrors.

You can't see them from behind the steering wheel, they don't 'bleeept' at you all the time, what is their not to like about them when they prevent scratches on your car?

I've got Audi A3 "Dark Knight vision" just now noticing every little thing about them...and it's surpising how many A3's dont have any parking sensors at all,but then again it's not really surprising the amount of money Audi charge FOR THESE...is it not about £565 for both?
The rear only sensors are £345 or are included in the Comfort pack. I have both front and rear but would be quite happy with just the rear and the camera. If the reversing camera stops me hitting something (especial the concrete waste bin where I park) it will have paid for itself.

When Audi first offered them on the A3 and I spec'ed them on my A3 most members were saying they were only for people who could not park properly... How times change!

Just out of curiosity how many high speed crashes have people had?

You can't see them from behind the steering wheel, they don't 'bleeept' at you all the time, what is their not to like about them when they prevent scratches on your car?

Dont need front parking sensors full stop the A3 is a small car,l can use my own judgement,l referred to the front parking sensors on my RCZ that use too "sound off constantly" going into my driveway all because of a Conifer tree lol,my ST3 has "City Stop" ie, it will stop the car itself if the need arrives "it never has" so two expensive unnecessary expensive Audi options through owning in other cars with them on l can live without

Just out of curiosity how many high speed crashes have people had?

I have had only one 'high speed crash' although I was stationary at the time, waiting behind another car at a set of traffic lights in Germany. A young lady who was busy chatting with her passenger did not notice that the traffic had stopped and crashed in to my Audi 80 Sport at about 40 mph. The impact pushed me into the car in front and my car ended up as a write-off. That was back in 1987.

I am going to diverse a little here,having owned a car with a "Drivers Assistance Pack" the exact same spec as Audi's...the only thing worth having,but you could still Live without" is blind spot recognition" ie "Audi side assist" the rest is just expensive gadgets...and worst of all it doesnt add more residual value to your Audi

I have had only one 'high speed crash' although I was stationary at the time, waiting behind another car at a set of traffic lights in Germany. A young lady who was busy chatting with her passenger did not notice that the traffic had stopped and crashed in to my Audi 80 Sport at about 40 mph. The impact pushed me into the car in front and my car ended up as a write-off. That was back in 1987.

My mother and i where hit by a drunk/drug driver travelling at about 45 mph,we we travelling at about 20 mph in 20 MPH Zone,he hit us head on in my mother golf all airbags where deployed,my nose was broken ribs cracked and l had suspected broken neck at the time of arrival at the hospital,traffic cops said the "Golf's build quality saved our live's

Never had car with parking sensors some cars are harder to see out of others can admit I have pronged my car in reverse admittedley not paying attention but only minor.

just drove a freinds audi a5 full sensors plus visual screen to me there more of a hindrance then a help. Bleeping when im 2 miles away then you look at the screen.
thoughts and opinions?

oh yeh they ruin the look of the car. Like a girl having a beauty spot on her face but 4 of them.

I have front and rear sensors + rear camera. I think they are a help. No they're not essential, but I would definitely spec them again.
And BTW - if you use basic punctuation, your post is easier to understand!!

Reactions: Fox5150
They only have to save you once and they have paid for themselves!!! It's the things you can't see such as rocks/bollards in car parks at night, when you're reversing onto a fence which is a further 3ft back behind the rocks/bollards :(

They would have saved this chap:

park_bollard-close.jpg

The car doesn't look too damaged there to be fair... though most bollards these days tend to be rather more solid!

Any damage saved is good no matter how little. You know yourself, if you have a scratch or dent on your car nobody else can see it, but you know it's there so it sticks out like a sore thumb :)

Reactions: cemerson
But the bollards seem to be deliberately below window height.

A company making bollards AND bumpers would be quids in.

Reactions: Jassyo06
l have rear parking sensors/rear view camera on my ST3 and still i reversed into a wire fence...lol no damage done though,but on the negative side these parking sensors dont function 100% all of the time especially in very cold weather,the rear view camera is the same, the lens gets dirty/ condensation/heat off the exhaust in cold weather...the reason why i bounced off the wire fence....thats my excuse's and l am sticking to it...lol

The mercedes ones are ****** useless, only bleep when you're about an inch away. You have to use the visual indicators till then. Found that out when I reversed my C350 into an Audi A4 Convertible parked opposite my drive and on a separate occasion my visiting mothers Polo :lol: in my defence I live in the middle of nowhere with no street lighting and my drive is on a slope so you cant see in your rear view mirror until the car levels out.

l have rear parking sensors/rear view camera on my ST3 and still i reversed into a wire fence...lol no damage done though,but on the negative side these parking sensors dont function 100% all of the time especially in very cold weather,the rear view camera is the same, the lens gets dirty/ condensation/heat off the exhaust in cold weather...the reason why i bounced off the wire fence....thats my excuse's and l am sticking to it...lol
Don't blame yourself, go for the easy option out and just say "It doesn't work properly because it's a Ford"!!! :p :undwech:

They only have to save you once and they have paid for themselves!!! It's the things you can't see such as rocks/bollards in car parks at night, when you're reversing onto a fence which is a further 3ft back behind the rocks/bollards :(

They would have saved this chap:

park_bollard-close.jpg

Ironically they probably wouldn't have helped the Golf as the bollard would have been in the middle of the two central sensors :keule:

But I can't live without rear sensors now, not because I can't park as I managed the last year with my Civic without reversing into anything, but it's so reassuring to have them as an aid which will hopefully stop me scratching/denting my bumper.
And as said above, when specced with the Comfort pack they aren't all that expensive at all!

wow how is this for point proved?

I was in Morrisons today, after I got the few things I wanted I returned to the car got in and put the bag on the front passenger seat, I then composed and sent a text message, put my seatbelt on, started the car, checked my mirrors and hit reverse-beep beep beep beep instantly! I didn't move but looked in my side mirrors again, the woman parked next to me was putting her shopping in the boot but was out of the sensors range!!! a second later I saw her little girl come from behind my car! If those sensors hadn't gone off I'd have reversed right over her :eek:

I've had 2 crashes. Both where my fault. I'm lucky to go prison. In my type r I was doing 120 breaked tyres were still cold and hit the round about at about 40mph. There cars wheel went flying off had 5k worth of damage.

And maybe damaged your car, never forget the potential damage that was avoided
To be fair she would have gone right under as it's rather high compared to a small child.....but you're right! it may have damaged the sump guard or exhaust...I was lucky :)

Reactions: The Challinor
I don't think any warning device could save this person!!! :confused:

Oops