Parking Sensors Did not work!

cjp2k

Reaction score
Hi guys, reveresed the A3 out of the garage, nothing new there, parking sensors beeping away while in the garage again as normal... my mums fabia vRS was at the end of the drive, once i got the back end of the A3 out of the garage the sensors stop.. keep going think to myself... mmm sensors should of started beeping again... got out and I was touching the Fabia! Not impressed So cars going into garage.. earliest appointment with a car is the 10th of august... moral of the story dont 100% trust the sensors!!

Whilst at the VW garage a few weeks ago a friend and I had to move out of the way whilst a woman in a VW Eos reversed into a parking bay. Once in she put the roof up but the boot scraped against the fence post behind. I told her this and she said it hadn't, I said it had as I just watched it happen! She replied it shouldn't because the parking sensors allow room for the boot to come out. Obviously not!

She was only taking it for a test drive!

Thats not good!

Having said that a mate in a MKV golf with Parking sensors fail on him too... mayb its a vag problem!

Thankfully no damage to either the audi or fabia for us!

It happened to me once and bumped into a car behind me in a car park, nothing happened though. What I found was, just take it out of reverese and put it back in again, the sensors will work then.

I did something sort of similar once, was reversing a customers car thinking "The valeting bay is getting close, the sensors will start beeping in a moment... I'm sure... must not be as close as I think..." BUMP!! Fortunately the valeting bay was only a big (room for three cars) shed and the outer walls were wood, unfortunately all the nails holding the outer walls on were beneath the level of the wood except where I reversed into it!! It gouged a nice little hole in, thankfully, just the bumper trim insert which the touch-up guy we used, who just happened to be onsite, managed to sort out in record time as the customer was waiting to pick up his car! All credit to the touch up guy who did an absolute perfect job!

Turns out that the car didn't even have reverse sensors! I'd got that used to cars having sensors (especially highly specced models like that one) that I took it for granted that it had them! Oops!

What's the legal position for incidental damage caused by faulty sensors ?
Surely if you can prove the sensors are faulty you can go after compensation for any damage that ensues ????

bowfer said:
What's the legal position for incidental damage caused by faulty sensors ?
Surely if you can prove the sensors are faulty you can go after compensation for any damage that ensues ????
Think you'll find there's a disclaimer in the owner's handbook stating that the sensors are not foolproof, which is just as well for Audi given the number of owners who are fully paid-up fools.....

Spook said:
Think you'll find there's a disclaimer in the owner's handbook stating that the sensors are not foolproof, which is just as well for Audi given the number of owners who are fully paid-up fools.....

Common sense should dictate that a warning light comes up on the dash to tell you if they fail.
They'll tell you if a bulb fails,but the first you know of a parking sensor failure is when you bump into something ?
That sucks,big time !

So, the moral of the story is dont waste money on speccing parking sensors because they are crap and can't be trusted. IMO.

Mark

Common sense should dictate that you trust your eyes more that your ears when in reverse gear. Parking sensors are a parking aid, from the manual "The Parking aid cannot replace the full concentration of the driver. The driver is always responsible for the safety during parking and other manoeures. Always check the area behind the vehicle."

If you know there is a somthing behind you, you think the sensors should have picked it up, but you they haven't, and you still reverse into it then you only have yourself to blame.

I hate moving from a car with it to a car without it, and I tend to rely on it to much, which I should not.

Chris.

PS This post means I will back into something next week ;-)

bowfer said:
Common sense should dictate that a warning light comes up on the dash to tell you if they fail.
They'll tell you if a bulb fails,but the first you know of a parking sensor failure is when you bump into something ?
That sucks,big time !
According to the handbook, no warning light but a warning tone if there is a parking sensor fault when reverse gear is engaged.

Sounds to me like Bowfer is setting-up a multi-million dollar lawsuit in the USA....:respekt:

I got the sensors retrofitted to my Sportback, kinda wish I hadn't bothered (but as the dealer offered them for free as a sweetener on the deal, I wasn't going to pass them up).

They are already at the 'intermittent' stage, whereby sometimes you put it into reverse and get a continuous tone no matter how far away from an object you are.

Really annoyed that I have to book the car in so soon after receiving it, but I guess either they are blocked (unlikely) or just faulty.

To be honest, I hardly use them anyway and rely purely on sight. They seem pretty poor as the 'tone' is not graduated enough to give you a good idea how close you are, perhaps though, this is part of the fault with them.

G-man

Mine have never failed on 2 cars, they must be kept very clean mind!

Only rely on them for a 2nd opinion on reversing into spaces where there is a wall behind etc but like people have said I still look and judge my driving according to me and use the sensor as a extra guide.

Anyone that does not bother concentrating or looking where they are going is a fool!

g-man said:
They are already at the 'intermittent' stage, whereby sometimes you put it into reverse and get a continuous tone no matter how far away from an object you are.

Really annoyed that I have to book the car in so soon after receiving it, but I guess either they are blocked (unlikely) or just faulty.

A continuous tone from the rear sensors can be caused by rain on them. If you have one going down (intermittently) switch the ignition on (without the engine running of course!), put the car into reverse and ever-so-gently touch each sensor in turn. If they are working correctly you should feel a very slight, but steady pulse. If you feel nothing then you have a duff one or alternatively, if you feel nothing on all of them you have sausage fingers! :)

markwiggy said:
So, the moral of the story is dont waste money on speccing parking sensors because they are crap and can't be trusted. IMO.

Mark

Never had any problems, nor any bumps. Must just be me, but I think the visibility in the A3 is awful, the worse car I have ever driven. Possibly on par with a Toyota Hi-Ace

d3fy said:
Must just be me, but I think the visibility in the A3 is awful, the worse car I have ever driven. Possibly on par with a Toyota Hi-Ace

Civic type-r (previous model) is far worse than the A3

d3fy said:
But do you think the A3 is bad or is it just me?

Nothing to write home about really. It's a hatchback so you know where the boot ends lol