Parking sensor module/wiring?

Lee_R

Reaction score
Guys, just got hold of a 2010 S line rear bumper with sensors and wiring. I know the sensors are smaller and further up the bumper so had a check under my 2004 and the fittings to the back of them are also different! So what shall I do?

1. Cut the wires and solder on the plugs to the new sensors? (I assume wiring is the same)?

or

2. Find the module and hope the connection is the same (unlikely) If so where the hell is the module, is it easy to get to?

Thanks!!!!

the wiring for the smaller(new) sensors are different, cause when i was doing my sensors, i got the bumper with the bigger sensors, but the guy had cut off the loom plug, so when i was in ELSAWIN double checking which wire goes where i did look into the new sensors and the wiring was different, you got ELSAWIN?

oh and dont cut the wires from your old loom into the new sensors cause its different wiring, and the module is behind the drivers side trim in the boot, (but me pretty sure that , that module will not work with your new sensors)

Sounds expensive!!!!! Any idea how much the new module is?

you can check on ebay.de, i got my one(older one) for around £35, or the other option is to fit your older sensors in, if you need ELASWIN or ETKA give me a shout as me in BHAM

had a look on ebay.de and their seems to be plenty on there. I just hve no idea which part number i need until I get mine out. Any idea what the part number of your older one was?

Give me few mins I dig up the part number for our one and the new one

the ones we got is 8p0 919 283(letter on end)
the new one is 8e0 919 279

but saying that , you will need to check with someone if the "loom" that goes to the car is the same as the one we have, that also may be differnent,i dont know for sure, so do think about that too, i would check for you but my ELSAWIN is on my laptop and that has crashed

Thanks for that!

8p0 919 283 is a popular one on .de. Not suprising if its the older one!

Cant find any 279's but 8P0 919 475 is also very popular listing for A3. mmmmm

Your right about the wire into the car. Would they really change that? Its stupid if they have!

sorry mate the new one is 8P0 919 475,that part number i gave was for the buzzer

ok cool, now i know what i need just need to check if they have the same connection into the cars loom! If your having a problem checking, who else is best to ask on here? I dont have ELSAWIN.

On another note, once i take it apart and put the new one in, will it need re setting with vag com?

to be honest even if the loom to the car is different, its not that hard to change the wires around, if i remember correctly there are 7 wires, 2 for live, 1 for ground, 2 for buzzer, 1 for can high, 1 for can low,
i can give u a copy if elawin if you like

the best guy i can think and whos advise i would trust with my eyes closed is NHN

Ok lets 1st ask the sensor part number.

Ok lets 1st ask the sensor part number.

new sensor is 420 919 475

the loom in the new bumper is 8P0 971 085 A

My PDC control box is more than likely 8P0 919283 so Which PCD box do i need to change to and is this new PDC box compatable with my cars loom?

I've just noticed my new sensor is 420 919 475 and 8P0 919 475 is the suggested control box! Surely they match!!!???

Did you get a chance to look Nige or can anyone else check?

Thanks!

hi mate yes they would work (that what it shows on ETKA)
BUT the module (8P0 919 475) there are 3 on ETKA with D/E/F, me not too sure on this but i think u should ask NHN cause from them 3 they all might work, or one or two might be for the front sensors too, so me not too sure which module number to go with,

as for the wiring to the car,it goes like this

new
16 pin connector (brown)
pin 8 - earth
pin 1 - 12v
pin 15 - can low
pin 6 - can high
pin 2 - buzzer
pin 10 - buzzer

old
16 pin connector (brown)
pin 8 - earth
pin 1 - 12v
pin 3 - 12 v
pin 7 - can low
pin 14 - can high
pin 2 - buzzer
pin 10 - buzzer

the only difference i can see is that our old one has 2 12v (1 live and 1 ingnition) where as the new module has only 1 12v
and the canH and canL are in different pins as u can see, dont see it that hard to just swap around

Thanks! So if I swap the wires round on my cars old loom the new sensors should work with the old module?

No I don't think it would you would still need the module but don't know which (letter) one

Ok I get you thanks again, you have been a great help......................Nige can you confirm?

Mate just done a 1k drive to italy so will need a while to get myself sorted as car is full of my crap, when I have etka etc back running will have a looksy.

Mate just done a 1k drive to italy so will need a while to get myself sorted as car is full of my crap, when I have etka etc back running will have a looksy.

No worries, i'm in no rush. Thanks!

Lee really sorry fella, not yet as baby popped out yesterday & week leading upto has been hectic, typical but I'm free tomorrow morn so will have a looksy ok.

Lee really sorry fella, not yet as baby popped out yesterday & week leading upto has been hectic, typical but I'm free tomorrow morn so will have a looksy ok.

Congrats! Dont worry about it, you must be far to busy to worry about my parking sensor confusion!!! :)

woo congrats Nige!! i'm quite interested in this too btw

Ok Lee, where are we at with this, have you got sensors or still just a bumper?

Got everything mate, bumper, sensors, and sensor loom from a 59 plate.

New sensors are 420 919 475

The new loom in the new bumper is 8P0 971 085 A

My PDC control box is more than likely 8P0 919 283 (old 2004 version) so which PCD box do i need to change to?

Cheers!

Got bored, ripped the car to bits this afternoon, strangely and in contradiction to the general concensus on this site, my 2010 sensor loom plugged straight into my old 2004 PDC box and worked perfectly......cant explain why!

Hope Sarah isnt reading this as she junked her modern, new, cool, small sensors for her big ugly old ones on the basis that they were not compatible!

I have no techincal knowledge as to why to be fair! just worked, nohing on DIS, bleeping correctly etc etc

I'm just glad i tried before ordering!:icon_thumright:

hmm you might just have made my life a lot easier. just wanted to ask, how is the PDC box wired into the car? i have aftermarket sensors but have just bought a new '09 bumper with PDC holes and wanna have the '09 factory fit set so basically i'm gonna need all the wiring etc

hmm you might just have made my life a lot easier. just wanted to ask, how is the PDC box wired into the car? i have aftermarket sensors but have just bought a new '09 bumper with PDC holes and wanna have the '09 factory fit set so basically i'm gonna need all the wiring etc

It sits in the rear quater panel behind the carpetted panel. 1 plug goes out of it to the sensors and 1 plug comes in from down low in the rear quarter. I can only assume its connected to the cars main loom somewhere down the line.

right gonna have to wait until nige has a spare moment then. which considering the move and the new kid is gonna be...

hmm...

18 years?

Got everything mate, bumper, sensors, and sensor loom from a 59 plate.

New sensors are 420 919 475

The new loom in the new bumper is 8P0 971 085 A

My PDC control box is more than likely 8P0 919 283 (old 2004 version) so which PCD box do i need to change to?

Cheers!

That sounds like PDC unit i have and it doesnt come up on the DIS either so i must be the revison as i have new gateway, cluster & convenience module. Cant check as Im still in the IOM at the moment.

right gonna have to wait until nige has a spare moment then. which considering the move and the new kid is gonna be...

hmm...

18 years?

Nope, got etka back up, now elsa lol.

Sorry Lee, it has been little harsh for family of late, so havnt had chance to do laptop.

Assuming you've checked coding & no errors.

We thought the sensors would work tbh but with possibility of issues.

Anyway the part number 420 919 475 actually comes up as an R8 PDC module, not a sensor, lol, you sure its that & doesnt have a letter on end as I've checked fair bit & doesnt exist.

sorry nigel, i've been looking for this answer for ages and i know you've put it in another thread but across loads of posts so i'm a little confused.

if i were to retrofit the factory fit kit what would i need? so far i've worked out i need:

bumper that fits/has been modded to accept sensors
sensors x 4
loom from sensors to PDC box
speaker
loom from box to car

is that it? and how would i go about wiring the PDC box into my car? do i have to take the whole thing apart?