Facelift Parking break locked on

billymc92

Kyalami Green Vorsprung- Sportback
Reaction score
Is there a way to stop the parking brake automatically going on when parking the car?

I was away on holiday for 8 days and my car was seized solid with the parking brake. I was up at 4500 revs in D and R trying to get it to brake free. After about 8 or 9 times it finnaly came free. Was a lot of noise coming from the discs obviously from all the rust when driving. I work a 3 and 3 week rotation and the car has never done it before so worried why it done it there for only being parked 8 days and especially to that extend.

It’s either due to the colder weather or maybe as I washed it just before I left and it had not moved since it’s last wash. Was easy enough fix in my last car as it was manual so just left it in gear and never applied handbrake.

Is there a way to stop the parking brake automatically going on when parking the car?

I was away on holiday for 8 days and my car was seized solid with the parking brake. I was up at 4500 revs in D and R trying to get it to brake free. After about 8 or 9 times it finnaly came free. Was a lot of noise coming from the discs obviously from all the rust when driving. I work a 3 and 3 week rotation and the car has never done it before so worried why it done it there for only being parked 8 days and especially to that extend.

It’s either due to the colder weather or maybe as I washed it just before I left and it had not moved since it’s last wash. Was easy enough fix in my last car as it was manual so just left it in gear and never applied handbrake.

Mine doesn’t go on automatically. Do you have hill hold turned on ? I leave that off . I turn off without applying brake . For same reasons as u state .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, deactivate it with the small button on the centre console.
But once turned off you will have to activate it every time after parking, or just leave it off but with the gearbox in position P. Car won’t move at all.

Should add . Happened all the time to me after cleaning if I parked up in the garage and left it for a day or two . Same thing happens on the Mrs’s up .

Yep, deactivate it with the small button on the centre console.
But once turned off you will have to activate it every time after parking, or just leave it off but with the gearbox in position P. Car won’t move at all.

I should have mentioned the Hill Hold Assist activating when stopping as per another post, but that was an optional extra on the order list and not everyone specced it, I did and love it.

Reactions: RGBARGEE
I should have mentioned the Hill Hold Assist activating when stopping as per another post, but that was an optional extra on the order list and not everyone specced it, I did and love it.

Yes I have this also. Very handy when in traffic. But I’ll try this and see how I get on in future. I though it automatically applied when car shut down

Reactions: sve170
Yes I have this also. Very handy when in traffic. But I’ll try this and see how I get on in future. I though it automatically applied when car shut down

Since picking up mine have had two holidays and both times had no issues on first start-up regarding the brakes.
One for 16 days and other for 8 days.
There is a slight grab first time but it releases within milli-seconds and I always activate the parking brake when on holiday.

Since picking up mine have had two holidays and both times had no issues on first start-up regarding the brakes.
One for 16 days and other for 8 days.
There is a slight grab first time but it releases within milli-seconds and I always activate the parking brake when on holiday.

Mines has always been fine also. Sat for 28 days once and also released fine. That’s why I was very confused why it happened this time

Reactions: sve170
Mines has always been fine also. Sat for 28 days once and also released fine. That’s why I was very confused why it happened this time

Very strange, maybe a one-off or has it happened again.
You must be offshore after mentioning 3-3 rota.

Happens quite often when washed and parked away for a day or more.
I had to rev past 4000rpm once to get it moving. Lol

To avoid this, I take car for a spin around the block to clear any water on the brakes. No issues thereafter once parked.

Current - 2018 RS3 Sedan
Past - 2016 RS3 SB

Reactions: billymc92

It’s because of the wash, even 12 hours later they are extremely viscous to release. Next time you wash it, just pull it forwards and backwards skimming the brakes to dry them off once done.

Reactions: sve170 and billymc92

Prob cos of the colder weather and salty roads bud.

Turn off hill hold and remove seat belt before u turn off car , or after u turn off car turn just ignition on manually release parking brake and IGN turno off. should be ok

It’s because of the wash, even 12 hours later they are extremely viscous to release. Next time you wash it, just pull it forwards and backwards skimming the brakes to dry them off once done.

Good advice, done this on my FL S3 and have continued with my RS3, I sometimes also take it round the block for a few stop-starts, all ok after that.

Reactions: AudiNutta