Parking Brake with Hill Hold...

cuke2u

Reaction score
My vehicle has the added option of hill hold assist, meaning the brakes are applied automatically when the car stop and releases when I pull away. When at rest the brakes apply ok and I get the green symbol in the vc, however I like to apply the handbrake but when I do the symbol doesn't change colour as my A3 used to do with the same system.
Could anyone also with the hill hold assist option, not the standard version, have a look and see if their A4 does the same?
Cheers...

Slightly off topic maybe.

But my B8.5 S4. I'm sure it doesn't have hill hold assist as standard, hence why I never specced my B9 with it. However, what you're talking about here makes me think I do have it in my B8.5.

On a hill, if I remove my foot from foot brake, the car won't roll back. I just assumed that was a strong first gear in the S-tronic system. Am I wrong? Seems weird to have it as standard on the B8.5 S4 but not the B9 S4. ''Tis confuuuuusion...

There is a process whereby the cars are prevented from rolling backwards on a hill for a short time, but it isn't the same as mine.

Anyone please?
The manual suggests it will be either a red or a green symbol, but if it doesn't change colour then, other than the light on the switch itself, there isn't a indication that the brakes have changed from being applied by the hill assist to the handbrake..

Last edited:
I have a manual TDI with hill hold assist and Im fairly sure the parking symbol changes from red (with the "hand" brake applied) and stop/start in effect (ie the engine has cut out) to green when I put my foot down on the clutch in anticipation of putting her into gear to pull away.

I would need to double check to be sure of exactly when the colour change takes place.

If you could check for me please it would help immensely, then I would know if I need to contact the dealership...

Auto diesel with hill hold assist.
Stopped on an incline, hha engages (green symbol on dash), engage handbrake manually - green symbol does not change.

Reactions: cuke2u
Ok, same then, thanks for looking. I wonder why Audi have changed it from the A3 setup...

I don't have hill hold assist, but even when I apply my parking brake manually it comes with a green P rather than red. I agree it's an odd change as I was also used to the red one on the A3

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

As I was, I guess it doesn't really matter too much as it disengages automatically. However it won't if you aren't wearing the seatbelt and without any visual indication in the cockpit it could confuse..

On mine the symbol goes red if you engage P on the gearbox, stays green otherwise as on yours.

Reactions: cuke2u
Mine shows a green parking light when hill hold is pressed and red when the "handbrake" is used.

Does hill hold assist when added as option to automatic allow you to engage neutral and take your foot off brake allowing stop/start still to work?

In B8.5 automatic without hill hold assist you have to keep foot on brake. If you engage neutral the engine starts up.

This system works better than my wife's Q5 where if you try to engage the handbrake when the engine has stopped, the engine starts. With this system, the engine will stop with the hha engaged and you start the engine by tapping the accelerator. IMHO this system works really well and I like it!!

Does hill hold assist when added as option to automatic allow you to engage neutral and take your foot off brake allowing stop/start still to work?

In B8.5 automatic without hill hold assist you have to keep foot on brake. If you engage neutral the engine starts up.
Yes it does, you can leave it in drive though if you want as, with the engine stopped, I have found no need to put it the gearbox into neutral. You can also put the handbrake on or put it into 'park'..

Reactions: stevie_s