Parking brake functionality seems to have gone backwards

Vertigo1

Reaction score
In my old S3, when I stopped the car, put it in P, turned off the ignition and removed the key, it would automatically apply the parking brake.
Together with the auto-drive-off function, this meant I very rarely had to even touch the parking brake switch.

My new A4 doesn't seem to do this when I turn the engine/ignition off, I seem to have to remember to apply the parking brake myself?

Why this backward step?

Try putting your foot on the brake so that the green hill start brake engages then turn off the ignition and the park brake should engage. At least it does on mine

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

In my experience the application of the 'handbrake' seems to be almost random, sometimes it engages automatically and at other times it does not. Has been a topic almost since the B9 first came out..

A search will highlight a number of threads discussing the subject.

You can program the same behaviour as your S3 with something like carista or OBDEleven. I have mine so if I stop in drive and turn off the engine the transmission shifts to park and the handbrake is applied without touching a thing.

Well now I have no idea what's going on.

I tried keeping my foot on the brake when turning off the ignition and nowt.

Then, for the first time ever today, I pulled onto the drive and put it in P and the handbrake immediately applied. First time it's ever done that!

I now work on the basis that it is a pleasant surprise if it activates as there is no obvious logic for when it does so automatically

Ok well some progress.

It seems that, if I pull up to a stop, keep my foot on the brake and then turn the engine off, it puts the parking brake on and the gear selector into 'P'.

I've not done this enough to work out if this is reliable or not just yet.

Also doesn't seem to do it after having reversed into a space.

I came from an A3 and I definitely find the hill hold different in the s4. It seems that it only switches on automatically when parking if the car is at an angle otherwise it seems to prefer the gearbox.

I do also find at junctions it doesn't allways hold as well and can find it what's to start creeping.