Parking Brake, ESP and ABS Fault

daleyarrow

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I was driving in to work today when the dashboard 'lit up' for want of a better word, cycling through messages for a parking brake fault, electronic stability program fault and anti-lock braking system fault before settling on the parking brake fault. Got into work and parked up, parking brake worked when I pulled the switch as I heard the servo bite onto the disc.

The car didn't seem to be driving any different, still had full power, brakes still worked etc.

Anyone else had this before? I'm hoping to get access to VCDS at some point this week/weekend but if anyone has any ideas of what I can check to potentially get it sorted sooner it would be a big help, I'd rather not be driving round with a bag of spanners!

Thanks in advance,

Dale

I had this only a few months back.
When i scanned it come up with abs faults, one in particular for a wheel sensor so i replaced it.
Aparently seems when the battery on the car is low, it also causes the car to throw these errors as it doesnt have enough power to power up all the modules correctly. Take the battery to be tested at a kwik fit or something and get it scanned

just to clarify, i changed the sensor, then scanned the car randomly few weeks later and it had new abs faults but just generic 'abs module fault', but i also read the battery thing, so i changed the battery and been scanning occasionally since and the abs faults have not been logged since.
Hope this helps, obviously may be differnt but i did see the exact lights in cycle through on my dash before hand :)

I had this only a few months back.
When i scanned it come up with abs faults, one in particular for a wheel sensor so i replaced it.
Aparently seems when the battery on the car is low, it also causes the car to throw these errors as it doesnt have enough power to power up all the modules correctly. Take the battery to be tested at a kwik fit or something and get it scanned

Sounds like a good place to start! I've got a few mates who work in my local Kwik Fit so I'll swing by and see them in the morning. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll let you know how it goes!

Just got back from my Uncle's garage, rang him up this morning and it turns out he had the stuff to delve deeper into the faults.

Among other faults, it looks like it boils down to the front passenger side wheel speed sensor, either the connections are corroded or a new sensor is required. Car drives normal for now so I'm just going to make do until I can take the wheel arch liner out and have a look for the harness connection.

In the meantime I'll be having a mooch about for some 'how to' guides on the speed sensor and trying to not need ABS or ESP, or death may result!

Forgot to mention, I had the battery checked out too, came back as pretty much spot on. Voltage is 12.44v and start capacity is 143%. Looks like it could be a duff sensor!

Reactions: Meemo
thats the exact same sensor on mine i had to change lol Passenger/NS front speed sensor!
I have noticed that if I full turn right at parking speed my wheel locks on that side even after the new sensor and battery.. eeep

Oh Christ...I get a horrible feeling that there may be other issues in that case! I'm hoping to get some work started on Saturday, so with a bit of luck I'll be able to post back on this saying "HA! turns out there was just a chunk of mud on the harness plug! whats the chances?!"

...hopefully...

So yesterday I got distracted by beer and pizza so no work was done, however I did get chance to do some poking around today. Had various issues with the car going into limp mode, but that's due to using a DTUK tuning box that just seems to disagree with the car, so that got removed until I can get the rest of the car working properly.

While removing the box, I had the passenger wheel off so took the chance to have a rummage behind the wheel hub at the sensor. Took the sensor plug off and checked the contacts, everything seemed pretty clean - no corrosion on the contact faces. Other than a bit of dirt build up around the sensor area, nothing out of the ordinary was visible! Reassembled everything and took the car to a friends house who has VCDS.

Ran full diagnostics on the car, reset all the faults and ran diagnostics again and I'm still left with 11 faults, but it looks like the ABS fault repeats in just about every area possible! fault code I'm given is:

00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit - MIL ON

So I'm unsure if the sensor is knackered or the wires going back to the ABS control module. Managed to find a genuine ABS sensor on ebay for £15, figured it's worth a punt just in case it is that! Due to arrive wed/thurs and will be able to get it fitted on the day as I'm nightshift this week and don't really sleep much!

I'll keep you all updated as time goes on!

FIXED!

Turns out the sensor was knackered. I ended up having to drill it out as when I was trying to remove the old sensor the head snapped off, leaving the bulk of the sensor inside the wheel hub. After about an hour of carefully drilling with a 3mm drill bit (wasn't sure what shape the hole was due to the strange shape of the sensor) I managed to get through it and remove the old bits, polish the bore and get the new one in. Reassembled everything and all faults reset, no more came up. Went for a harsh drive and no faults occurred...I'd say that's a Friday afternoon well spent!

Reactions: paul_patton1975, ashtec125sp, Meemo and 4 others