Parking assist stopped working ??

Tiger-G

Reaction score
Hi :sm4:

Hope someone can point me in the right direction with this one please ??

I recently noticed the parking assist screen on 2015 A4 Allroad B8 has stopped working ?? I did a bit of research on t'interweb and did the WD40 thing on all the parking sensors. That didn't make a difference. I listened to all 8 sensors for them ticking.....not one of them is working, I went into the car systems on MMI to parking assist and it is greyed out and says it is not available, and I tried to check the fuse. In my owners manual, the fuses on both the left and right dash ends do not correspond with what the manual says. It's as if the left in the manual are on the right in the car, and vica-versa ?? Anyway, I think I've checked the correct fuse and that seems to be ok.........

Should I just go ahead and change the control module located in the boot, or is there anything else I could do first ??

I know your first suggestions will be to get it scanned, but I really do begrudge paying £25 for my local mechanic to do this every time something goes wrong when the money could be going towards a new control module.

Cheers,
Graeme.

Unless you're prepared to buy a diagnostics kit to scan or pay someone to help diagnose it properly then you're working uphill imho as a replacement module may need coding to the car anyway if it's not coded or coded wrong.

I see no point of taking chance without knowing what the cars telling you is potentially the fault.

Pay the guy to scan or buy a cheap piece of kit to do for you before changing anything.

Reactions: spartacus 68 and JohnS3
Agree with NHN, you can start replacing modules, and there’s no guarantee of success. Pay the guy £25 and get a full diagnostic. Been there before with my wife’s i3 which has park assist. It uses PDC sensors in the bumpers, but also PMA sensors in the wings. I have BMW ISTA software so narrowed it down to a faulty PMA sensor, swapped both sides over and the fault moved sides. Job done. Bought a new Valeo sensor, painted it and cleared error codes and it’s worked perfectly since. The WD40 hack rarely works.

I knew you'd say get it scanned !! :tonguewink:.

What's the cheapest bit of kit out there I could use for scanning something like this ?? See if it's worth buying it rather than keep paying £25/scan ??

Thanks for the advice by the way :sm4:

Autel AP200 is pretty cheap and pretty comprehensive. Although, it does advertise some features that aren't actually available such as rear EPB release. I had to use my icarsoft for that instead (although you can do it manually as well).

If it's a specific sensor I'm sure the AP200 tells you which one (or is it the icarsoft?), otherwise I would hope it would highlight a failed module if that is the case.

Autel AP200 is pretty cheap and pretty comprehensive. Although, it does advertise some features that aren't actually available such as rear EPB release. I had to use my icarsoft for that instead (although you can do it manually as well).

If it's a specific sensor I'm sure the AP200 tells you which one (or is it the icarsoft?), otherwise I would hope it would highlight a failed module if that is the case.

Can anyone tell me where the module is please ?? It's not where I thought it was......right rear boot space behind the removable trim

In the B8.5 it’s built into J519 central electronics module under the drivers dash. If you had VCDS (or similar) it’s module 09. Module 10 park assist isn’t fitted to the facelift cars.

You have a 2015 so it’s a B8.5 facelift car (in case you didn’t know)

Reactions: spartacus 68
In the B8.5 it’s built into J519 central electronics module under the drivers dash. If you had VCDS (or similar) it’s module 09. Module 10 park assist isn’t fitted to the facelift cars.

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the info :sm4:.

Strange that the whole thing has stopped working, none of the sensors clicking. Do all the sensors stop clicking when one's not working ?? There's little info on t'interweb about what it could be ?? At the moment, I'm just living with the fact it's not working.

You need a diagnostic scan to point you in the right direction. Without it you are just guessing. Get a scan and post it (all of it not just errors) so we can further assist

Reactions: Tiger-G
Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for the info :sm4:.

Strange that the whole thing has stopped working, none of the sensors clicking. Do all the sensors stop clicking when one's not working ?? There's little info on t'interweb about what it could be ?? At the moment, I'm just living with the fact it's not working.
I've never ever heard any of the parking sensors clicking on any VW Group that I've listened to, I even bought a second mechanics stethoscope that had a more suitable pliable cup to place over them! I have come to the conclusion this "they all click when operational" might just be a wind up or misinformation, but I don't mind being wrong!