Parcel Shelf Rattle S3 Saloon

selleym

Reaction score
First post :sign imnew: moved over from a Scirocco GT last weekend.

Apologies if this is already covered did try to search but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Have noticed that i am getting a rattle on the parcel shelf while at certain revs. Can reproduce this when stopped.

Had a tap around and the Parcel Shelf is very rattly on one side. Does anyone have a guide or information how to remove this to check whats causing the noise. Dont really want the dealer to be ripping it apart if its an easy fix.

Thanks

First post :sign imnew: moved over from a Scirocco GT last weekend.

Apologies if this is already covered did try to search but couldn't find what i was looking for.

Have noticed that i am getting a rattle on the parcel shelf while at certain revs. Can reproduce this when stopped.

Had a tap around and the Parcel Shelf is very rattly on one side. Does anyone have a guide or information how to remove this to check whats causing the noise. Dont really want the dealer to be ripping it apart if its an easy fix.

Thanks
You would need to pop and remove the rear pillar trims in order to be able to remove the parcel shelf, which you need to lift up and then pull towards you. Pretty simple, just need the "balls" to apply some force to remove the trims.

Thanks, know if this is a common issue or if there is something known that causes it?

Thanks, know if this is a common issue or if there is something known that causes it?
Not a known issue that I am aware of and to be honest there is not much under there that could cause a rattle. If you have B&O then the sub is secured on the parcel shelf. Could be that something has come loose, or could be that one of the speaker grills (one is fake) has come loose. If you don't have B&O then I don't believe there is anything under there from memory, bar the wiring for the boot lighting.

No B&O on mine, its like its just not clipped down properly and rattles when i tap it. Maybe a clip has broken or come loose. Will have a play around when its light.
I actually noticed it while trying to make the Soundaktor Rattle :shrug:. Which is booked in a few weeks to get fixed.

Thanks

Hi my car had this issue but it's covered buy the warranty. It was a speeker clip they said.

I dont really want to take it to the dealer for them to tear apart everything. Im happy to remove the parcel shelf my self but notice the pillar trims need to come off where the airbag is.
Anyone removed the parcel shelf themselves?

I dont really want to take it to the dealer for them to tear apart everything. Im happy to remove the parcel shelf my self but notice the pillar trims need to come off where the airbag is.
Anyone removed the parcel shelf themselves?
I don’t trust em either but with a parcel shelf I reckon there’s fairly little that could go wrong.... id rather them snap something else and have to fix it than myself try and then be up the creak. I tried to remove the lower trim housing around the front fog light once and wish I never tried, boy did that take some force.

I've just removed the parcel shelf yesterday for sound deadening with Dynamat, there really not much in there would rattle unless a broken or missing clip, but it'd be weird if you never removed it before for any of the clips to be broken or missing...

On the other hand, should have really done this much sooner! It actually makes a huge difference, it's just so much quieter even with just the parcel shelf done... Getting myself more to do the doors next...

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...to-your-8v-today.236518/page-190#post-3276137

Managed to get it all off, took about 20 minutes. Now to hunt down the rattle. I think its where one of the clips is in contact with plastic or metal. Anti rattle tape at the ready.
How easy is it to get it all back together? maybe ill just leave it off haha

Fun and games

y4mHFUWp7J_2fx_K0IejAK4DTySunpIvXx36AYEogM290laI7fluDLMgnBv0_o51chKiScFEeBHA3sCfC4SA3OiBy33SgFYcVuGkjXiHiYYydm3NCru5lSY6_fOTfz0c_tIcIWd8iHPRD0c7zW19UjiQleXggXeUmyrUDNQ-UesrpyColY8MglN1YR5r4-P2Z05DZdh2yWmKjwg6qDlKAOlyQ