Saloon Panoramic glass sunroof weight

@Rob2k68 knows the exact weight of the glass roof

The sunroof module so glass, PMMA plastic exterior surround and motor is 18Kg but also factor in a couple of Kg for the reinforcement ring around the roof panel and the drain tubing.

For comparison a typical windshield with 4.4mm laminated glass is around 11Kg.

Reactions: PanamaS3, T-800, Leo-RS and 1 other person
@Leo-RS so the section that actually retracts is glass, the rest is plastic, same material as the gloss black section on side of the door windows

Yes the 3 sided part is PMMA plastic similar to the B post cappings, if you look at the front of it towards the front edge of the opening there are small feature lines which are impossible to produce in glass.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Leo-RS
Okay, then does sound heavy then Aoon, surprised at that.

No option for it on the TTRS I don’t think?

I personally couldn't justify an extra 1k for something that I havn't had before so I know I won't miss it. I don't like the extra weight penalty either, however small. The pan roof definately looks good but I'm going to wrap my roof black anyhow. As mentioned, it's down to personal taste and opinions!

Okay, then does sound heavy then Aoon, surprised at that.

No option for it on the TTRS I don’t think?

Nope.. Nothing for the TTRS, rear seat delete on the TTRS however will be MORE than enough sound for me!

Reactions: D0C
Yep I'd love to take mine trackside but 100% with the the insurance
What's the average track day insurance cost??

I pay about £270 per track day on my Exige

Reduction weight is important , but for me, most important is: the less movable parts in a car, the best in case of accident.

One friend had an accident with his A3 8V while pano roof was open.

he had a frontal shock and pano roof suffered, left guide broke and pano roof moved totally 90º to the passenger side.

regards

I pay about £270 per track day on my Exige
£119 at the Bedford Autodrome. Nice thing about Bedford is that there is nothing much to hit if you do come off. The track is surrounded by an expanse of grass.

£119 at the Bedford Autodrome. Nice thing about Bedford is that there is nothing much to hit if you do come off. The track is surrounded by an expanse of grass.
Good info thanks.
That's not far from me I'm in Herts.

Insurance that is, as opposed the cost of the track day itself.

I’ve done Bedford quite a few times but don’t really rate Javelin who run most of the events. I also get taken to Palmer Sport every year.

Back on topic, I suspect I wouldn’t notice the difference in handling/performance by not having the panoramic roof. We specced it as it makes the interior much brighter

Reactions: teslaboy
Those Palmer Sport days are just a blast - I have been 4 times over the years and they are great. Not cheap though.......

If you buy a RS3 and spec panoramic roof you should be shot imho. Drivers car innit.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Evil Diesel
Line me up on the range :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Terminator x
Shooting is too good for them.

Reactions: PanamaS3 and Terminator x
If you buy a RS3 and spec panoramic roof you should be shot imho. Drivers car innit.

TX.

It's not a track car though. It's designed to be a daily driver. If people are so concerned about 25kg of weight, they need to consider if the portly RS3 is for them. Or start taking the AC out! Or maybe eating a few less Big Macs.

Reactions: mz21, Beebee-one, billymc92 and 1 other person
Dont know about everyone else but I am already on a crash diet.

Reactions: PanamaS3
I'm now imagining you as a fat b*stard @D0C right or wrong ;)

TX.

Reactions: PanamaS3
All sounds abit silly over 25-40k

If weight was a factor take the seats out buy lighter wheels and better tyres

I personally would prefer the pan roof

Reactions: Alex L
The issue is where the weight is - the lower the better. For every mm over axel height the weight penalty increases by a factor so putting all that weight on the roof is a disaster. Mind you, if you just want to potter between the Tescos car park and the pub then who cares.

Reactions: Terminator x and PanamaS3
I could understand if it was a lightweight track car but it’s ultimately a 1.7 tonne hatchback. We bought it to have a quick practical car and having a nice big sunroof really lifts the interior. My other half had a new Scirocco in 2009 and that was like a cave inside with black leather and headlining

I saw it on an s3,and couldn't justify the cost, then my current RS3 came with it and i think it added a lot to the Nar do and black look on outside and brightens up the inside a lot so i now really like it.

Driving with one on the road i didn't feel any difference, but its obviously not a tea k where you are on the edge.

I will still 1/4 mile it standard before tuning do be good to compare

I think either way with it, its nice and car is fast, and if i get bored then stage1 will help with that while i enjoy the Scottish sun beaming down through the pano roof.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

TX.

LOL I hope thats sarcasm, the reality is 99.9% of RS3 owners aren't even capable of using the car to its full potential, so their opinion on others choice on whether they spec it or not is invalid. I have the pan roof and I'd spec it again even for what my car was. I'm no racing driver nor claim to be so that 25kg on the roof is negligible.

Reactions: teslaboy and Phil3