Panorama last night

AndybS3

Reaction score
I was wondering if any people south of the border seen this program last night and what their views were on the subject, did you realise that this went on in Scottish football or was the program being naive implying that the rest of the country knew nothing about it?

Keep it clean please /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Alot of people are unaware of the situation in Scotland which was brought to the fore last night. I personally have known for years being brought up in Derry (N.Ireland) anyone who knows their politics enough said really! It was pretty well put together i thought and am sure it has opened alot of eyes but i doubt it will change anything!

I lived in Edinburgh as a student during the early 80s, & being a footie fan, I obviously "adopted" a Scottish club for the duration, happy that there was no conflict of interest or loyaties with my own team (Sunderland).

I knew that I couldn't pick either Celtic or Rangers, on account of being (a) English and (b) resident in Edinburgh, so I actually picked Dundee United. This proved a good choice, as they, along with Aberdeen, won loads of trophies over the next few years.

However, I used to visit Glasgow from time to time, and did also take an interest in Old Firm games. On one occasion, I accepted an invitation to go to one. It was the most terrifying experience of my life, and still remains so more than twenty years later. I have often wondered what would have happened if I had opened my mouth & revealed myself as an Englishman in that crowd.

I've often heard it said that Scotland has no need for racism, as it has bigotry instead. I used to think that was a joke, but I learned that day that sectarianism is alive and well in Glasgow and on the West Coast.

Despite all that, I would also say that the years I spent living in Scotland were wonderful, and with only one or two exceptions, I was made to feel very welcome. You can find anti-English sentiment if you want to go looking for it, (or go provoking it) but the vast majority of Scots are great people IMHO.

Andy...

Saw snippets... I am true South of the border... in fact for a while, couldn't get much further South... and it's true, was completely naive to these happenings, and yes, I was quite shocked.
Wouldn;t put me off though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I didn't see it but would just like to add that i live 8 miles from the most southerly point in Britain...

So if anyone remembers Harry enfield sketch - I, am considerably more southern than You /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

Probably....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ade

Caught the end of it when they were on about that young lad who supported celtic but was wearing a tracksuit in the colours of rangers so he got the crap kicked out of him till they realised he was wearing a celtic shirt underneath, as said above the scots are generaly very nice people but its the same anywhere you go there's always going to be nutters wherever you go not just in scotland.

Missed a good program by the sound of it ,
am celtic man , have been many a time to celtic v rangers games , and have saw my fair share of violence from both sides of the divide , BUT can i add no worse than u can c in any town center after pubs close! like bert S3 says there are nutters EVERYWHERE!

I knew it went on and what it is all about, but did not realise it was still as big a problem as that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

As with Northern Ireland, I don't see the Sectarian and religious differences between Protestant's and Catholic's ever being resolved do you?

Yeah i do when the protestants accept that Ireland is Ireland and not England. You cant have both im afraid and everyone knows it. English call the Irish Paddies we all know that....call a protestant a Paddy an they go mad...cause believe it or not they are probably more English than the English are and far more patriotic which is fair play but dont go shoving it down peoples throats and one things they hate more than anything is being called Irish even know they have the accents....makes me laugh everytime /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

I missed the programme last night but what I can say is Glasgow is full of these idiots. Growing up on one of the larger housing estates (now thankfully moved) this is part of life.

If you were a Celtic supporter you had to be catholic and chant 'IRA' at the first opportunity, love ireland and hate the Queen. If you were a Rangers fan you had to be protestant, chant 'f*ck the pope', draw union jacks everywhere and know a good few orange songs. Oh and if you ever met a 'tim' or an 'orange bast*rd' you had to fight with them. That's just the way it is.

These people are brainwashed with this crap from birth - and it all stems from 2 rival football teams. They're simply spouting the garbage their parents or family members have pushed into their minds since childhood.

Next time someone says something stupid like f*ck the Pope/Queen/IRA/UDA/UVF/Catholics/Protestants, ask them why. I bet they can't give you a decent answer.

Good ol JPO, straight to the point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A small nuclear device is probably the best solution....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that go for the whole of Scotland?

[ QUOTE ]

So if anyone remembers Harry enfield sketch - I, am considerably more southern than You /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cornwall... isn;t that closer to the Canary Islands than Scotland? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A small nuclear device is probably the best solution....... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Would that go for the whole of Scotland?

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a 'Half Jock' NO!

Saw it too, kinda been to a few rangers games as my boss has two season tickets. I will watch an old firm game on the TV but I would never want to go to the match. The raw hatered would spoil the game for me. I have noticed that most of the sectarian singing starts from one stand - The Irish traveling supporters. This is not my opinion but fact. Maybe its just because the have the musicall instruments /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

and yes some of both sides are very sad and wont buy a disposible lighters if it is green or blue.

Maybe Glasgow should just follow Partick Thistle insead /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/snore.gif

I was at the Hibs Rangers game 3 weeks ago in which Rangers generously allocated 1200 tickets to the Hibs fans, after being seated we were welcomed with a flute band rendition of the Sash over the PA system followed by a few bigotted words and a wee tune by a famous Scottish comedian, after the game we were made to stay seated until the 49,000 Rangers supporters could be herded out (which was quite handy for them as it gives them time to set the gauntlet up for the awaiting away support to be abused and spat on). David Murrays comments of trying to stamp the sectarianism out were laughable to say the least and the 90 min bigots comment from the chief of security of all people just topped it all off for me, that’s like saying the idiots that throw bananas and chant their racial abuse at football are only 90 min racists and they return to being normal human beings after the match, I don’t think so
The problem and the solution lie with the Ugly Sisters i.e. The Old Firm

May I claim the "most southern" crown?

Hold on, i don;t ****** want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I missed the programme last night but what I can say is Glasgow is full of these idiots. Growing up on one of the larger housing estates (now thankfully moved) this is part of life.

If you were a Celtic supporter you had to be catholic and chant 'IRA' at the first opportunity, love ireland and hate the Queen. If you were a Rangers fan you had to be protestant, chant 'f*ck the pope', draw union jacks everywhere and know a good few orange songs. Oh and if you ever met a 'tim' or an 'orange bast*rd' you had to fight with them. That's just the way it is.

These people are brainwashed with this crap from birth - and it all stems from 2 rival football teams. They're simply spouting the garbage their parents or family members have pushed into their minds since childhood.

Next time someone says something stupid like f*ck the Pope/Queen/IRA/UDA/UVF/Catholics/Protestants, ask them why. I bet they can't give you a decent answer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can c where ure coming from BUT dont tarnish me and most other people with these idiots , and a lot of my mates are gers,in other words rangers fans , like MOST people i have friendly rivallry with them but once the game finishes apart from giving them a good ribbing (and reciving it back ) its forgot about , the old firm games are perhaps the most volitile and passionate there are , but the fans on the whole are well behaved , can i also point out celtic recived praise and awards from UEFA & FIFA and the Spanish police for the travelling support at the recent UEFA final in seville(where we was robbed lol) 80,000 travveling fans NOT ONE ARREST !

[ QUOTE ]
May I claim the "most southern" crown?

Hold on, i don;t ****** want it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey leddy any speed cameras down there?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Being a 'Half Jock' NO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Which half?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Probably the half that takes the alchohol, no doubt!!!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Being a 'Half Jock' NO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Which half?

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif Probably the half that takes the alchohol, no doubt!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE u trying to say we are all drunks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Probably the half that takes the alchohol, no doubt!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE u trying to say we are all drunks? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/10_1_114.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not all of you, just half of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Being a 'Half Jock' NO!

[/ QUOTE ]

Which half?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all Fallmonk... but you have to admit, you are better at holding your alcohol... if there's one thing I learnt from living in Leeds, its never try and drink a Northerner under the table if you're a Southerner... you'll fail! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

True, very true.

Us southerners are very soft. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif