Pano Roof-to spec or not to spec

Disco Dal

Reaction score
Still no build week for me so money burning a hole in my pocket to potentially add a few more items. Seriously considering the pan roof. What are the general thoughts on this. Is it worth the £950 outlay? How big is it any pics? does it rattle/leak? If I don't get it then I am getting the roof wrapped in gloss black anyway as I love the look as it will break up the primer. I know I wont get the money back on it but will be keeping the car a long tome so not really an issue. Thoughts welcomed

I go with the basis you can buy a MX5 or MR2 for that money if you want the roof off... (see my sig!)
Plus it adds weight high up raising the centre of gravity.
It does give a nice openness to the cabin (but even that is questionable as to whether you want it open - I prefer the cabin to feel enclosed like a cockpit).

Good point Jose, hadn't thought about the weight issue. Ill probably stick with the spec and just wrap it.

I go with the basis you can buy a MX5 or MR2 for that money if you want the roof off... (see my sig!)
Plus it adds weight high up raising the centre of gravity.
It does give a nice openness to the cabin (but even that is questionable as to whether you want it open - I prefer the cabin to feel enclosed like a cockpit).
The op is talking about adding a pano roof to the spec of an un built car and you suggest not specking the roof as you can buy an MX5 or MR2 are you suggesting he buys one of these aswell as the RS3 or Don't buy an RS and buy one of them?

Are you really suggesting he buys another car and taxes and insures it ?

Yes. I did! If you are spending ~£50k on a car then another £1k on a soft-top car and ~£300p.a. on running it is not likely to be a bank breaker...

Yes. I did! If you are spending ~£50k on a car then another £1k on a soft-top car and ~£300p.a. on running it is not likely to be a bank breaker...

HELLO he's thinking about adding a pano roof to the spec of a super car slaying road rocket with up to date technology and you suggest he buys and drives around in a 10+year old antique money pit as I said before the more you post.........:blahblah1:

diggingahole.gif

So you are saying the Pano roof would alter the dynamic of the car ? because of maybe a few extra KG (if there is indeed that much extra weight in it) that you'd get with it..................

So on that basis you'd never fill up the fuel tank or carry anybody as a passenger / drive it if you were over 12 stone

You also wouldn't drive it fast round a bend in case it fell over :haha:

Biggest load of claptrap I've ever heard............

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
The question is though...............would it need regular maintenance ? Lubrication etc.........

Don't forget its still a moving part and will have seals, mechanism etc........ they need looking after.

Well i've used a lubricating spray on door seals/window seals in the past to keep the rubbers/seals in top condition, don't forget these things often get neglected, as a lot of times it's these seals that can cause irritating noises.

That is what the service is for.

We are talking about modern materials here, not some 1950s Morris Minor

The pano roofs are a pita. Even new.

The creaks are with the roof closed. Don't start me on the ones jamming from new.

I don't how things work where you are, but rest assured its hard enough over here to get the dealerships to do a proper job even on the basics of a service, trust me i know from experience.

I wouldn't hold my breath for them doing anything with the pano roof.

Doesn't mean if it's in the service that they actually do it........

Yes but there are plenty of components that aren't designed to fail or be serviced
But they do.

I have the pano roof in my spec so we'll see how it performs. Any one got any experience of one fitted to the new RS3?

Interesting reading things like the mag ride saying don't have it, it's awful and now reading actual tests and owners of the new RS3 with it sound very promising, maybe the same will be true of the pano roof.

Reactions: T-800, S3 AD and DAYTONA 500
I have the pano roof in my spec so we'll see how it performs. Any one got any experience of one fitted to the new RS3?

Interesting reading things like the mag ride saying don't have it, it's awful and now reading actual tests and owners of the new RS3 with it sound very promising, maybe the same will be true of the pano roof.

I wouldn't buy any performance Car without any form of adjustable suspension that was the reason I sold my Mk1 RS3,having the ability to alter the suspension makes the car very versatile at the press of a button and transforms the driving experience.

Reactions: T-800
MY Q5 has been back to Audi 3 times for rattles; twice the cassette was replaced, on the third time they 'fiddled' with something. I'd never spec a pano roof again.

Reactions: Marshy and T-800
I've specced it so I'll let you know. I haven't had a 'sunroof' for years so fancied a change. If there's a problem it goes back to the dealer, simple as that. I like the look of it too.

Reactions: Bristle Hound, DAYTONA 500 and T-800
Good for you boozyjay
As you say if there's a problem you've always got warranty

Reactions: DAYTONA 500 and boozyjay
Just be careful round those corners with that higher centre of gravity

Reactions: boozyjay, Grant and DAYTONA 500
I've got the pano roof on my 8v S3 and have had absolutely no issues with it at all. It looks great from the outside and does lighten up the inside.

Only thing is when the roof is slid all the way back the wind diffuser looks awful!

I didn't spec it as I want to take my car on track days and I've heard that they can smash as the body flexes, and for 1k I could get some better options (in my opinion)

If the Car was going to be a track only car I can see Jose's point. But if you are driving it mostly on public roads and occasional track days I don't see the point in his claims. I have had the Pano Roof in my Q5 and loved it so I got the option on my S1. The Q5 had zero problems with it and there was a recall on Q5 Pano's but it was for the ones before mine was built.

If the Car was going to be a track only car I can see Jose's point. But if you are driving it mostly on public roads and occasional track days I don't see the point in his claims. I have had the Pano Roof in my Q5 and loved it so I got the option on my S1. The Q5 had zero problems with it and there was a recall on Q5 Pano's but it was for the ones before mine was built.

Exactly Stuttgartrob.......