Panel filters are they worth it ?

bengal

Reaction score
Hi all im considering getting a panel filter for my 1.8t agu the car is remapped with no other mods. Is it worth getting one im not looking for massive gains obviously but even a slight improvement will persuade me to get one thanks.

I didnt think it was too noticeable to be honest, although i put mine on before a remap.

Thanks mate probably wont be much difference on a mapped car then if at all.

I had a green cotton one in mine before and was pretty cool. Don't really notice much, had more of a little grunt noise to it though.

being a rebel i went for the pipercross and found it raised my average maf readings by 4g/s... which I was pretty stunned by. Either my old one was knackered, or they do really work. Pipercross is the cheaper one also.

I might as well just get one there not much and at worst it will be the same. The paper filters im using seem to clog up quick so it will save me going to buy these as well.

Yeah i have a pipercross one too, although i didnt notice much performance wise.. it does sound alot nicer. Since adding that i also smoothed the airbox and added a few extra holes aswell as a second air intake.

I have been reading a thread on here about the jetex cone filter which i may have a look at though as an alternative.

Iv been thinking of putting in a second air feed myself but routing another pipe to the box. I havnt got much time on my hands at the moment though.

£50 is a lot of money for an oily filter which may clog the maf element....

Last edited:
Literally just put a Green Cotton in. I can hear the intake a tad bit more, and the woosh of the DV, but other than that, not seen a great deal of difference.

ITG are the best ones, then Green, Jetex, K&N standard etc. I would say the pipercross one looks the best but is more restricted than the standard paper filter. I had one sold it on for the same reason. There are way too many layers restricting the flow. Place a Hoover on it then you would know the different in pressure created. I know it is not the most advanced tool but proves the point nevertheless.

I stick to std filter and change it yearly, which is about 3k for me lol the last one didn`t even look like it had been used lol

I stick to std filter and change it yearly, which is about 3k for me lol the last one didn`t even look like it had been used lol
Just out of interest what make of paper filter are you using cos the last one i used clogged up fast it was cheap though.

Literally just put a Green Cotton in. I can hear the intake a tad bit more, and the woosh of the DV, but other than that, not seen a great deal of difference.
Iv heard before that green cotton filters are the best for the car.

It must have come from the people who were selling them.

i still go on Ess three's performance testing as it was third party with no interest to sell..... basically standard paper is fine unless your BT

that said Bill/Welly has reported good improvements with the Jetex, yet to see a comparison yet and not sure it will ever be conclusive either as RR test wont immitate real road conditions yet MAF readings wont in my view tell the whole story either - any wana bench test this :)

conclusion - inconclusive :)

i still go on Ess three's performance testing as it was third party with no interest to sell..... basically standard paper is fine unless your BT

that said Bill/Welly has reported good improvements with the Jetex, yet to see a comparison yet and not sure it will ever be conclusive either as RR test wont immitate real road conditions yet MAF readings wont in my view tell the whole story either - any wana bench test this :)

conclusion - inconclusive :)

I have just fitted jetex cone filter and without doing any readings the car does feel a lot more responsive and the sound is great.

Will be doing some logs and will post the result which will show an improvment hopefully....

It must have come from the people who were selling them.
I heard it on other forums from people who had bought them. Probably the same people who think leaving the ignition on for 3 mins does a tba lol. Still if i believed it wouldnt i have bought one already? Iv had the car for 2 years.

I have just fitted jetex cone filter and without doing any readings the car does feel a lot more responsive and the sound is great.

Will be doing some logs and will post the result which will show an improvment hopefully....

Whilst i appreciate that, my 007P which i very reluctantly bought felt more responsive than my old OEM item.....i know however that it doesn't give any gains

really dont know a way of deciding for definate

all i know is that every tuning place i know of (although i must admit limited to Revo/CC etc) recommend the panel items, racing TT's which ive seen in the past have mostly all had panels or enclosed cones..... there MUST be a reason for this

Last edited:
Whilst i appreciate that, my 007P which i very reluctantly bought felt more responsive than my old OEM item.....i know however that it doesn't give any gains

really dont know a way of deciding for definate

The only way i can see how to resolve this issue would be to drag against one with standard or panel filter. But then you could have the aggrument that one person is better driver then other.

Agree cant see how to decide for definate....

exactly, ive been stumped for 3 years...... and its not looking like im gonna get a conclusive answer, and until i do i aint fitting a cone in the hope it works giving me a nice small lift in my insurance for my troubles

Tim, your really anti Jetex lol. Try one for the winter and see what you think so you have some experience of your own. My intake temps have come down quite a bit since the cold weather has come. Im quite sure you would get good money for it if you wanted to sell it.

Personally I cant see how you will get any benefit from a panel filter as they have the same surface area as a standard panel. You would only get an increase in air flow if your original filter was well clogged thats my opinion.

Nathan

after market panel IS more free flowing, fact, they're thinner and material flows better, so you cant say standard is just as good. Whether there are any gains power wise is another question, bit more response and more noise, thats about it. people shouldnt be expecting a 50 quid filter to transform there car and give it 100 more break. the performance gains in terms of power will be so minimal. making sure the airbox and filter is getting the cold air it needs may improve it further though, but again, results are minimal. By fitting a cold air duct/pipe, you can know that your induction is at the best it can be, panel orr cone.

Tim, your really anti Jetex lol. Try one for the winter and see what you think so you have some experience of your own. My intake temps have come down quite a bit since the cold weather has come. Im quite sure you would get good money for it if you wanted to sell it.

Personally I cant see how you will get any benefit from a panel filter as they have the same surface area as a standard panel. You would only get an increase in air flow if your original filter was well clogged thats my opinion.

Nathan

not at all matey, im all for things that work....you could say i am against placebo items, this does not get in the way of progress though...i bought a 007p to prove that (eventually)

ITG are the best ones, then Green, Jetex, K&N standard etc. I would say the pipercross one looks the best but is more restricted than the standard paper filter. I had one sold it on for the same reason. There are way too many layers restricting the flow. Place a Hoover on it then you would know the different in pressure created. I know it is not the most advanced tool but proves the point nevertheless.

the same way ITG filter socks allow dust straight into the engine?
Foam filters are somethign I avoid like the plague - uncoated they do not stop fine dust

panel filter wise, back to back on my dyno, the paper and cotton gauze filter on a PD150 leon made zero gains... Paper filter blinds quicker than a cotton gauze, but gains if any are small ones in g/s terms.
larger surface area cones seem to flow more..

Ok has anyone noticed better throttle response even if its slightly better as i said at the beginning i will get one even if the difference is slight. Thanks badger5 the paper filters i use quickly degrade in performance so it might be worthwhile getting one for this reason alone.

F**k it il'l stick with the paper filters lol.

dont be a sheep and listen to this lot. Make your own judgement based on value and facts. I 100% experianced an airflow gain according to logs, albeit comparing a used standard against a new pipercross. But the only reason I bought it, is because it gave me something to fit when I got home from work then an excuse to go drashing while trying to find gains.

put a K&N in mine as needed a new element anyway. intake hiss increased in a pleasant way :)

dont be a sheep and listen to this lot. Make your own judgement based on value and facts. I 100% experianced an airflow gain according to logs, albeit comparing a used standard against a new pipercross. But the only reason I bought it, is because it gave me something to fit when I got home from work then an excuse to go drashing while trying to find gains.
Ill get one for the same reasons then lol one thing iv noticed when comparing the panel and paper filters is they are both new when tested i bet after say 5000 miles the panel filters will flow better then. just a thought

I've gone through various filters including (in this order)...

standard panel filter
green cotton panel filter
BMC CDA
Invo air intake
Jetex (currently using and keeping!)

My MAF is dead at the moment so i don't know what the Jetex has ever given me. Just to note, my sensor died whilst i had the BMC. I'm geting a new MAF on Thursday so i'll get my results up. The Jetex sounds very well, my car still feels like it goes pretty quick too even though my MAF is dead, and the car feels so much beter in these cold temps!

I'd say buy a Jetex and keep it. Don't be like me and go through 5 different filters LOL

I've gone through various filters including (in this order)...

standard panel filter
green cotton panel filter
BMC CDA
Invo air intake
Jetex (currently using and keeping!)

My MAF is dead at the moment so i don't know what the Jetex has ever given me. Just to note, my sensor died whilst i had the BMC. I'm geting a new MAF on Thursday so i'll get my results up. The Jetex sounds very well, my car still feels like it goes pretty quick too even though my MAF is dead, and the car feels so much beter in these cold temps!

I'd say buy a Jetex and keep it. Don't be like me and go through 5 different filters LOL
Cheers mate ill look into it.

Is it really as simple as everyone from passed years have missed a trick with regard to a cone on an s3, vagcom is nothing new and I'd stand hanging if this is the first time results like this have been seen. I would still not put anything behind any filter until its proven beyond what a sensor tells us, really, this can't just be a simple case of ' ooooh yeah it works'

I'm yet to hear of rr gains at the very least - common bill stick a comparison on, on the rr day