Panel filter V Induction Kit?

Yaseen1991

Reaction score
Panel filter V Induction kit

Just had my car de-catted, just a straight pipe from turbo to back, no silensors :)

Next thing is air filter

Ne1 recommend an induction kit like k&n or just a panel filter?

All advice welcome thanks

i have run an 80mm hose to the airbox and used the front fog pannel as a scoop with a BMC pannel filter

monitered intake temps and they are very low when you get going ;)

2d3feb85.jpg

made a bit better job of it now with a red silicone hose
f1a95f07.jpg

63e3e9b4.jpg

Its a shame you didnt start this thread a week ago mate. On Sunday I took the K&N panel filter out of mine thats been in for 3k miles and threw it away. You could have had it.

I fitted it to the car when I bought it, it made no noticeable difference really (at best I only expected it to rev a bit more freely anyway).

I read alot about how the oil can block maf's and that some bloke has done lab tests and a K&N filter lets alot more dirt particles in your engine than a standard paper filter.

I personally wouldnt say its worth it. A stock paper filter is good enough for an RS4 so I think its good enough for an A3 :yes:

the stock filter is good enough as monster munch says,i find the BMC gives very very little noticeable difference really (and the BMC are not caked in oil like the K&N),it was the cold feed that made a difference and cleaning the air flow meter (well getting a new one for me)

Hmm i really wanted a k& n for the sound difference loolll still in a pickle...

defo dont get a K&N,they over oil them and the oil coats the air flow meter and knackers it,there are many out there,i went for BMC as i say

Wats the best way to put a cold air feed in? Lol sorry for bein a dumbo aha

Unless you increase the surface area of the filter media you're not really going to see any benefit. I ran a panel filter for a few weeks when I was contemplating keeping my last cars engine cover..... It was sh1t.

if you look at the pics up there you will see i used an 80mm hose,used an 80mm hole saw and drilled the corner of the box,then used one of these and removed the blanking plate on the fog,really does make an improvement especially once above 40 mph,plugged the laptop in and monitored the intake temps and they dropped massively so the ecu will advance the ignition timing and adjust fuel to suit the colder temps so giving more power/torque ;)

Unless you increase the surface area of the filter media you're not really going to see any benefit. I ran a panel filter for a few weeks when I was contemplating keeping my last cars engine cover..... It was sh1t.

the surface area is fine,increasing it wont make a difference as the air flow meter is still the same diameter,its the temp of the incoming air,colder air is more dense and combustible so gives increase on power

Reactions: briner
the surface area is fine,increasing it wont make a difference as the air flow meter is still the same diameter,its the temp of the incoming air,colder air is more dense and combustible so gives increase on power

The chap who designs ITG filters for Renault engined F1 cars tells me otherwise. Whilst the MAF presents a diameter restriction the turbo basically sucks as hard as it can, and it pulls air faster through a larger media head (so I'm told). I'm guessing to use a basically analogy, if you send cars through a one lane tunnel at 60mph, then at 80mph, despite the restriction you still get more through. A filter with bigger surface area can supply whatever is requested. I have to hope he's right as he does it for a living, assuming I've explained it right!

The chap who designs ITG filters for Renault engined F1 cars tells me otherwise. Whilst the MAF presents a diameter restriction the turbo basically sucks as hard as it can, and it pulls air faster through a larger media head (so I'm told). I'm guessing to use a basically analogy, if you send cars through a one lane tunnel at 60mph, then at 80mph, despite the restriction you still get more through. A filter with bigger surface area can supply whatever is requested. I have to hope he's right as he does it for a living, assuming I've explained it right!

it is correct but the standard filter flows enough air IMO,increasing the area of the filter will make minimal difference (as has been proven by many people on here),its the intake temps that make more of a difference,when you run race cars though that all changes as they dont tend to run air flow meters