Pan roof or No pan roof??

BowkA86

Reaction score
I really like the look of the Pan roof against the Ara blue on the S3 Saloon. So ive spec'ed it everytime. But im trying to bring my monthly payments down and at £1075 its a pretty expensive option that could save me £25 pm.

So my question is, if you have a Pan roof, is it worth it? Would you have it again and if you didnt spec it, do you wish you did?
Do I wait and save another £1000 deposit or do I remove it from spec?

Yes and yes, love mine.

Reactions: jimojameso, Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
If it was me, I'd leave it off, and bring my monthly payments down. What extra does a Pan roof give you, other than more light in the cabin?

Do they open up? Again, with virtually every car having Air-con, what's the point in sunroofs?

Reactions: BowkA86
It's a lovely feature... but I think it's also a but of a gimmick, because in my opinion it's not 'panoramic' at all. If it came forward further and so increased viability around you it would be great but tbh it's just a 'nice to have' as it is at the moment.

Reactions: Djs3saloon and RSS-S3
If it was me, I'd leave it off, and bring my monthly payments down. What extra does a Pan roof give you, other than more light in the cabin?

Do they open up? Again, with virtually every car having Air-con, what's the point in sunroofs?

Yes it opens and its quite a lot bigger than a standard sun roof. I think the black glass sets off the car nicely with the Ara blue. Then theres the fact I like my windows down on a sunny day to let in fresh air rather than AC, however when the kids are in the back they end up getting out of the car looking like theyve been dragged through a hedge.

To me it would be for looks and practicality but its just so expensive.

I had one on my octavia vrs estate and that was truly panoramic.

Its not that big from the inside on a s3 so its not really worth it on this model.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Panroof is a must for me.
My car is black so looks don't really come into it on mine but on any other colour it adds to the look.
It lets a nice bit of light into the cabin which can be a litte dark with the black headlining
You can vent the cabin a lot easier without getting too draughty
It's lovely retracted back on a nice sunny day.
I'd put it above most other options tbh

Reactions: Rob2k68
A wouldnt say its a must, but i love mine would consider it again on my next car but all depends on the monthly cost on that car and what sort of budget i would be on
d8d07632c8c8f8d36d6625bbb87aa30b.jpg

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
Does anyone have any pictures of how much it opens from the inside please?

I wish I had one, it's not something you can really go and retrofit at a later date like folding mirrors so would you regret it? if the £25pm means that much, take a couple of smaller options off that can be retrofitted at a later date when you have that extra money..

I don't have one on my S3 and never thought i needed/wanted it.
My wife then got one on her car.
I will now spec one on my next car.

Reactions: BowkA86
Wtf....best thing about my car wouldn't do without it.....and there's some pano-roof envy...... Going on lol
IMAG0531

Reactions: scoss, xtof06, Joe4842 and 9 others
I would have loved it on mine, but couldn't justify spending over a grand on a sunroof. I've never had one on any of my cars. No doubt it looks pretty awesome as @jassyo06 said above. Also, I prefer the darker environment...

one thing thats never bothered me tbh, if the cost was right i'd add it but id add a tech pack or speakers or something like that before the roof.

Incidenly my mum bought a evoke and she had it two weeks when i noticed that was a hairline crack in it, it seems a stone has flciked up and hit the roof. her isnurance declined the claim stating small print doesnt cover the pano roof. Had to pay for it herself and a independant garage did it for 3.5k, range rover wanted 5k for the doing it. Garage said when she picked it up hes approved range rover repairer but he will never do another one it took severl guys nearly all day. They have found a insurer that will cover roofs but its worth checking with your insurer when you renew that they will cover a new glass roof.

Reactions: David McQueen
Have a pano roof on the Golf R and love it. Constrasts so well against the white. Next car for sure will be specced with one. Adds so much light in to the cabin and does look sweet on tilt

Reactions: Jassyo06 and David McQueen
I wish on specced one on mine now

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
Pano roof isn't something that's been high enough up my priorities when speccing my cars, but usually I have an idea what I want to spend and that would take it over the figure.
I do agree that they look good though.
If it's the black roof look you're after, why not get the roof wrapped? Just a thought.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Mark_86
If it's the black roof look you're after, why not get the roof wrapped? Just a thought.
I have considered this, but its not just about the look, its having that fresh air without the kids having to suffer in the back.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I had it on a loan S3 that I had for 5 months last summer. It looks nice, but the aperture when it's open is tiny, and I spent most of the time with both the roof and the sun blind firmly closed. As a result, when I specced up the facelifted S3 I very deliberately left the pano roof off.

Perhaps I was spoiled by the previous car being a full convertible. The feeble letterbox of the pano roof is a pale imitation of proper wind in the hair motoring

Reactions: oaf, Audi Bairn and Mark_86
I had it on a loan S3 that I had for 5 months last summer. It looks nice, but the aperture when it's open is tiny, and I spent most of the time with both the roof and the sun blind firmly closed. As a result, when I specced up the facelifted S3 I very deliberately left the pano roof off.

Perhaps I was spoiled by the previous car being a full convertible. The feeble letterbox of the pano roof is a pale imitation of proper wind in the hair motoring

Well in all honesty Grant it was a Mazda MX5 roadster was it not so not comparable, my son has a 4 series 30d Xdrive at the moment with a sunroof and the A3 is a good bit larger with far better aesthetics,pano-roof can also add desirability if selling on

It can tilt open prior to entering the car if you hold down the unlock button and can also be activated via the global closing aswell.... Sweet

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Rob2k68, sugardaddy and 1 other person
Get one - Looks awesome on tilt, worth it for looks alone

Reactions: Jassyo06 and FBF01
Got a pano on mine. To be brutally honest I'm a bit meh about it.
I rarely use it - when I do use it it's nice and all but I do wonder about how much extra weight it adds. Couple that with an intermittent creak from around that area and I do question it.
It does lighten the cabin though and I do leave the screen open all the time..
like I said "meh"

Reactions: simonali
I personally Wouldn't buy one without pano roof. Nothing better then having it open when sun is shining, brings a whole new dynamic to the car and brings the sound of the engine/exhaust inside too, unless your mrs is in the car that is as " it'll mess my hair up " is all that comes out her gob ha ha. When you break it down, For the sake of less than £1 a day you you'll definitely get your money's worth. Do it!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, BowkA86, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
It can tilt open prior to entering the car if you hold down the unlock button and can also be activated via the global closing aswell.... Sweet
The sun is shining and its 18 degrees, roof will be open all the way home

Reactions: BowkA86, Jassyo06 and FBF01
After commenting I opened it up fully and drove home. It does sound nice in dynamic..

I did not want a pano-roof on my S3. In Canada, it a standard feature and can not be deleted. After living with it I must admit I am glad it is there, as it allows much desired light during the dark winter months into what would be a rather dark interior (black leather). I use the tilt function on occasion but not the fully open feature, as of this date and doubt I will even use it in the Summer, as they tend to be noisy when open at more than 30 mph and plus I have a very receding hairline....sunburned scalp!! and no I am not going to wear a cap/hat.
The other reason for me being leery of pano-roofs was forgetting it was open or worse being stuck in the open position and the ones I had before were prone for possible leaks, but as I stated before I am glad it is there and yes, over here it does increase your trade in value by quite a margin over one without.

Well in all honesty Grant it was a Mazda MX5 roadster was it not so not comparable, my son has a 4 series 30d Xdrive at the moment with a sunroof and the A3 is a good bit larger with far better aesthetics,pano-roof can also add desirability if selling on
Precisely. As I said, I was probably spoiled by the automotive origami that is this; (cue Crocodile Dundee "that's not a knife..." style comparison)
IMG 0395

The pano roof probably does add a little desirability, but the S3 is pretty desirable as it is.

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Rob2k68 and Jassyo06
If you are buying on PCP or whatever the finance deals are called now, then it is essentially a rental, a tool to get you from A to B...... so i wouldnt spec much on a car that isnt mine and is going to be given back. I would however look at the FGV of one with and one without and see if its worth the investment. Having said this, if i was buying an S3/A3 then i would spec it even if the opening it tiny. i like the airy feel to the cabin it brings.

Reactions: Jassyo06
If you are buying on PCP or whatever the finance deals are called now, then it is essentially a rental, a tool to get you from A to B...... so i wouldnt spec much on a car that isnt mine and is going to be given back. I would however look at the FGV of one with and one without and see if its worth the investment. Having said this, if i was buying an S3/A3 then i would spec it even if the opening it tiny. i like the airy feel to the cabin it brings.
Final value is higher on a pano roof car. I think @jassyo06 elaborated on precisely how much a few months ago.

Had one on mine and added as an option on my S5 Coupe. Was initially going to go without because it did creak and rattle - had to take it in 4 times over 3 years for adjustments and greasing up!