Painting calipers

Robcobras

Reaction score
Hi, looking to paint my S Line calipers red.

I've never dismantled brakes before and was looking for some reassurance .

Am I better off just taking the wheel off, cleaning with some IPA then masking tape everything I don't want paint on and brushing them or removing caliper (never done) leaving brake line intact and doing them with a spray paint?

I have tools, patience and time but not the knowledge haha. Any tips and pointers would be fabbbb

Thanks Rob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Robcobras
Hi, looking to paint my S Line calipers red.

I've never dismantled brakes before and was looking for some reassurance .

Am I better off just taking the wheel off, cleaning with some IPA then masking tape everything I don't want paint on and brushing them or removing caliper (never done) leaving brake line intact and doing them with a spray paint?

I have tools, patience and time but not the knowledge haha. Any tips and pointers would be fabbbb

Thanks Rob
Hi Rob, I painted mine for around £25 total for cleaner, brushes and paint, did not remove anything just taped over all the rubbers etc. I cleaned with carb cleaner, wire brushed with a small and a large wire brush & re-cleaned until there was no more dust. I painted with a set of art paint brushes that were cheap, and painted what I could reach, some bits round the back you cannot see anyway were left, there are some casting lines in the caliper that make good finishing points. I did not take photos as I went along, but here are my blue calipers. Done my sons corsa the same way in red 2 years ago and that is still OK. My advise, don't remove brakes if you don't know how to, will only lead to trouble.

Attachments

• 1_bluecalipers.jpg
    1_bluecalipers.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 120
  • 2_bluecalipers.jpg
    2_bluecalipers.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 112
Reactions: Painman1963 and Robcobras
That's great thank you both for your replies
@T-1000 Ive just spent an hour and a half going down the YouTube rabbit hole of smart repairers that guy does great work! Thank you!

@BasDust I like the sound of painting it and I cant go too far wrong, don't suppose you have any recommendations on which paint? Reading a well known online retailer whose name also is a river in the rainforest have many brands giving VERY mixed reviews on most of them.

Thanks again to the both of you

Rob

@T-1000 Ive just spent an hour and a half going down the YouTube rabbit hole of smart repairers that guy does great work! Thank you!

@BasDust I like the sound of painting it and I cant go too far wrong, don't suppose you have any recommendations on which paint? Reading a well known online retailer whose name also is a river in the rainforest have many brands giving VERY mixed reviews on most of them.

Rob

These are very good suppliers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob
Hi Rob,
I used autotek caliper paint bought on amazon, I had all the brushes, cleaner etc already so was only a tenner, I done 2 coats on the main parts, and a couple of areas that were tricky to get into and could only use a small brush I gave 3 coats. It does say leave 1-2 hours between coats, and 24 hours before driving. Nice warm day really helps it dry, touch dry within 20 mins.
The frost store does look good as well!
There are many vids on YouTube for painting as well as spraying, but the most important part is the prep as with any painting. If you leave an area with brake dust it mixes with paint and makes it go very dark. Good thing with the carb cleaner you can spray it on a small microfibre cloth and it will dissolve the wet paint so you can wipe away any paint where you don't want it.
Good luck!

Thank you for the great replies. Looks like a job when the kids are back at school and I have a free couple of days
Thank you

Reactions: BasDust