Painting a standard S3 grill black?

Hanz

Reaction score
Is it possible to paint these grills?

If so, how would you recommend doing it, with what materials ect?

Cheers, Louis

yep i had mine painted but to get a good and lasting finish you'll need take to a paint shop for them to sort out. cost me £65 i think. cheaper that a grille.

IMG_0086.jpg

yep i had mine painted but to get a good and lasting finish you'll need take to a paint shop for them to sort out. cost me £65 i think. cheaper that a grille.

That looks good, did you ask for the same colour as your car or just black gloss? Might be a silly question but are the black edition grilles painted from factory the same colour as the car to blend in or slightly different to stand out?

My grille is matte black plastic with a gloss black surround. Doesn't match car.

Lots of people have painted their grilles, but after time the paint tends to chip off in places, regardless of how good the paint job is. You can buy this stuff called Plastidip that comes in a spray can and it is basically spray on black rubber, which doesn't chip or scratch. If you make a mess of doing it, you can always just peel the stuff off, which you can't do so easily with paint. I have only used it on small areas like badges, but a few people on this forum and others have used it to spray their grilles. There are a few guides on here if you search for 'Plastidip'. You can have a matte or gloss finish (gloss finish is achieved by spraying on a top clear coat). :wub: xx

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/i...lack,Blue,Clear,Red,White,Yellow&pid=PDL-0009

I had mine painted by paint shop over a year ago and it still looks good, not chips or peeling. as always its about the prep! just make sure any chrome bits are etched. then a good few layers of paint and lacquer. all good and should saved a few £££

IMG_0086.jpg

I am going to get my grill sprayed this week do you know what colour that is, gloss black? Same colour on grill and surround? Looks good suits the black car.
Cheers.

yep it was standard brilliant gloss black. if you get it painted make sure they give it lots of coats

Cheers, will do. I bought a second hand grill, already painted its chipped like mad!