Painted Calipers

kaedo

Reaction score
I have a Ibis White A3 BE Sport back and the calipers have rusted up. Thinking about getting them painted but not sure what colour to go for. Any opinions? I'm undecided with Red, Anthracite, Black or maybe a dark blue.

Anyone else done this for ideas. I also saw some ebay stick on Brembo covers but think they will likely look cheap and/or fade. Link to the covers below.

AUDI A2 A3 A4 A6 A8 S2 S3 S4 S6 BRAKE CALIPER COVER IN on eBay (end time 21-Oct-10 09:57:41 BST)

Anyone tried these??

black/silver only unless you are doing a brake upgrade

as for the caliper covers, bit vauxhall corsa? are they not?

black/silver only unless you are doing a brake upgrade

as for the caliper covers, bit vauxhall corsa? are they not?

lol not sure they're that classy. Can't help thinking the carnage that would be caused if one came unstuck.

hi, not too sure about just sticking those covers on, would get a build up of brake dust, water etc behind them? if i were you i,d just clean and paint your existing calipers. just my opinion though.

i bought these off ebay they are the good ones with the pipe and nipple on them. i swear iv had people in the know ask were i got the money from for them cause they thought they were real.
IMG_1640.jpg

Blimey they could be real!!! Always thought they look cheap and tacky but those look amazing

if you buy the cheap ones [20 quid] they are nasty looking these cost me 60 quid all in inc p+p.

if you buy the cheap ones [20 quid] they are nasty looking these cost me 60 quid all in inc p+p.

where from? as in what seller?

I have found some similar I think.

TG_MA0050503002_002.jpg

Last edited:
these ones appear to be slightly better quality (from what you can tell in a photo that is!)

CS_MA0050306002_001.jpg

i just punched in brembo brake covers and they came up. the ones you are looking at look ok but there is no brake pipe on them so i dont know what they will look like.

Quite like the black ones but they only seem to have red.... Were they pretty straightforward to fit? How long have you had them on? Finally will they interfere with changing pads / discs or servicing the brakes do you think?

Thanks for the info!

i had to dremel mine a fair bit so as they fitted nice and snug. i stuck mine on with window sealant from a mate who works with busses its the stuff they put front windows in with and its good gear. iv had them on for about a year and a half. when you change the pads you take them off and then give them a bit of a clean and fit them again.

You must be insane to fit them to your brake calipers. I can see it now - "I don't know what happened officer. I put my foot on the brakes and they just locked up" - Policeman "There appears to be plastic wedged in your brake discs. Take a seat in the back of the patrol car!!!"

Insurance company - "I'm sorry Mr Smith but we won't be paying out for writing your car off because you had pieces of plastic stuck on your brakes!!!!!!"

if you think that anything can get stuck in your brakes ie between the pads and the disc well then you know nothing about brakes.

Reactions: Icey
Bass - really - plastic guard warps or touches brake disc for whatever reason - plastic melts on contact due to heat and excessive friction leaving liquid plastic residue on your disc/calipers/pistons. You stop, brakes cool down, plastic hardens = brake mech f**ked

Get a life and get some real uprated brakes or don't do it!!!!!!!

Hope you can live with yourself if, god forbid, you have an accident and hurt someone else!

I painted mine silver this summer and they look mint took a couple of days but worth it if you just want to update the look. Don't think those vastly plastic things would have fitted as there is not enough clearance on my 3.2 brakes and the alloys! Paint them silver, understated look and not chavvy will upload a photo of mine when I'm on my pc so you can see for yourself.

you get a life you know nothing about them. they dont melt cause if they did they would have by now cause i have driven the car more than hard a few times and they have been on for a year and a half and they are still there. if you dont like them just say so cause im sure other people will voice there opinion without trying to be a smart ***. i have been a mechanic for 26 years and i wouldnt do anythig that would endanger my life im not stupid. i know guys that have had them on for years and had no problems with them so we cant all be wrong. its 2 grand for the real thing and i havent got 2 grand so these will do untill i have. you must think they are made out of thin plastic that would melt well they arent so dont tell me to get a life i do to my car what i want and if you dont like it thats fine but dont think im some stupid wee boy who hasnt got a clue......

They look good for cheap copies but cant see the point also as the standard discs let them down straight away by looking too small,paint your standard calipers up £10 tops for paint or £60 for covers,£50 loss and braking still the same,standard calipers look smart enough and get some high temp decals if you want to split the colour up as in some people have done with s-line stickers etc

i have them on untill i do a decent upgrade. thanks for your opinion without trying to make me look stupid..

I really like them! Bass, I can understand how these would cause no problems with breaking whatsoever. Munchkin seems hyper paranoid for no real reason!

you get a life you know nothing about them. they dont melt cause if they did they would have by now cause i have driven the car more than hard a few times and they have been on for a year and a half and they are still there. if you dont like them just say so cause im sure other people will voice there opinion without trying to be a smart ***. i have been a mechanic for 26 years and i wouldnt do anythig that would endanger my life im not stupid. i know guys that have had them on for years and had no problems with them so we cant all be wrong. its 2 grand for the real thing and i havent got 2 grand so these will do untill i have. you must think they are made out of thin plastic that would melt well they arent so dont tell me to get a life i do to my car what i want and if you dont like it thats fine but dont think im some stupid wee boy who hasnt got a clue......

I didn't say you were stupid just crazy!

Out of interest what did your insurance company say when you declared them?

......and in my opinion I think they look good but are a bad idea!

but hey you're the mechanic - not trying to teach you to suck eggs!

Got to wonder what stuff like this does to resale values...

I have a Ibis White A3 BE Sport back and the calipers have rusted up.

How can your brake calipers be rusted up already?!

I've got an 55 plate A3 and mine haven't been touched apart from a general clearing of brake dust when I use a power washer, and they still look new, yes a bit dull, but certainly nowhere near being rusty! :|

thank you lee. as for resale value i would take them off if i sold the car which i wont cause it stands me eleven and half grand so its worth more to me than anyone else. i think they would be a bad idea if they were thin plastic and if they were i would have thrown them in the bin when i bought them. i have painted my brakes a few times with good quality paint and got fed up doing them so i bought these untill i do an upgrade. i know they are not everyones cup of tea but they will do me for a while yet.

thank you lee. as for resale value i would take them off if i sold the car which i wont cause it stands me eleven and half grand so its worth more to me than anyone else. i think they would be a bad idea if they were thin plastic and if they were i would have thrown them in the bin when i bought them. i have painted my brakes a few times with good quality paint and got fed up doing them so i bought these untill i do an upgrade. i know they are not everyones cup of tea but they will do me for a while yet.

Fair play mate, as i said the covers aren't my thing but you seem to be happy with them! Think a few have just taken the fact that they don't like them to the extreme lol

I can see this thread throwing up the old "But there still not the real thing" argument. But i'll have a chuckle when someone who's stuck and slline or s3 bumper on there a3 or infact any uprated part from a different spec audi better than theres.

Personally they look good but i'd be unsure about them as ive only got standard discs, anymore pictures dude? of the whole car possibly. And also is the brembo logo just a sticker? as removing them and placing an Audi badge i think would be much more suitable.

Great idea for those who cant afford or don't want to pay big money for big brakes on a **** spec car like myself! I found on my other cars i was having to repaint the calipers after most winters as they didn't last due to the grit they lay on the roads up here.

i like 'em, but for me that's £60 that could have gone towards the cost of a big brake kit.

don't fault you for going for them to, they do look the part

if your going to paint your calipers - remember the basics
Prep is key to how good the finish will look.
Invest in a wire brush drill bit and then clean down with paint thinners/pre paint turps etc.... then paint on.
I used hammerite smooth silver.
I have pics somewhere if anyone wants to look.....

Thanks mate,nice car, they do go well with the colour of your car. Ive got the same wheels on mine in gloss black. I was pondering with the idea of yellow calipers but didn't want them to look too OTT.

dsc0517r.jpg

They do look good fair play. They look like the real deal besides discs. And can't see how they affect the braking. I've painted my calipers White as makes them stand out to the rest of the car. I'll hopefully get big brakes when I get paid.
Why do people always mention the resale value on little mods like this? Easy to put back to standard.
For ibis white I'd go for silver or same blue as the R32 ones

nice car mick. go with the flo mate if you think yellow brakes will look good just do it. u wont know untill you try matey.