Paint Rust?!

I saw your post, £485 is a lot of money, they're saying its £1600 to replace the front fenders, they're like £200 each new from Audi and to have them painted is around the same so you could probably do it yourself for less lol.

Mines 2010 84K Full Audi Service history so I'm hoping they're a bit better with me than they have been to you, I haven't got a spare £485 knocking around.

I know it's a total joke! I said I would phone them back but that price was too expensive for me to pay out at the moment and the warranty quote only last's 14 days.

Hope you have better luck than me

I'd guess that that is part of Audi's helpful plan, ie treat customers of "used" cars the same as customers of "new to 2 years old" - in terms of how much free cash they are likely to have - then hope that you walk away while the offer has been made to you.

I've never ever been under any elusions about what car I should be buy, ie what I can afford to buy and afford to run, there comes a time when you really do need to get switched on and see what potentially you are taking on, not having enough cash to sort your car really does sound like you have picked the wrong car for your pocket! I was almost retired before I felt that I had done enough for my growing family and getting a bigger/better house - before buying the car what I wanted to, it is all up to our individual life choices.

I'd guess that that is part of Audi's helpful plan, ie treat customers of "used" cars the same as customers of "new to 2 years old" - in terms of how much free cash they are likely to have - then hope that you walk away while the offer has been made to you.

I've never ever been under any elusions about what car I should be buy, ie what I can afford to buy and afford to run, there comes a time when you really do need to get switched on and see what potentially you are taking on, not having enough cash to sort your car really does sound like you have picked the wrong car for your pocket! I was almost retired before I felt that I had done enough for my growing family and getting a bigger/better house - before buying the car what I wanted to, it is all up to our individual life choices.

Forking out £500 to fix some cosmetic issues that should be covered under warranty has nothing to do with buying the wrong car or taking on too much than you can afford.

I could afford to buy my car, and I can afford to run it, this comes into neither of those categories.

Reactions: scotty76, xpoweruk and James.B8
If they were willing to pay for most of it that to me is admitting fault and should be paying for all of it, but at the same time £193 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things so I could understand if you just paid it.
In insurance terms, it's referred to as 'betterment', isn't it?
Not justifying it, but perhaps that's where they're coming from.

Forking out £500 to fix some cosmetic issues that should be covered under warranty has nothing to do with buying the wrong car or taking on too much than you can afford.

I could afford to buy my car, and I can afford to run it, this comes into neither of those categories.

Most of these cars with that issue are not new cars, in fact getting on for 8 years old, most paint work warranties are not worth the paper that they are printed in, as shown by these cases needed an "add on" payment, so yes, wise up cars cost money when they get old. All cars do, so spend with some cash still in hand and it will be okay.

I spoke with them again yesterday and there not willing to budge on the price as the quote was from Audi HQ rather from the garage I was using. They said that the rust was due to stone chips and if the car had been under three year old then they would have repaired the car for free under warranty but since mine is a 2009 and it's damage caused by wear and tear they are offering to pay 70 percent of the repair cost's which I still think is hugely inflated.

I can afford to run the car that's not a problem at all the car is used as my daily driver due to the good fuel economy I just can't spend that amount of money right now as the car is needing serviced and new summer tires in the next few month.

I will probably go ahead with there work as I spoke to a good local body shop and for them to repair and respray the original wings will cost roughly 500 quid so am better going to Audi and getting bran new wings. I was just hoping to pay at least half of what I am getting quoted

One could argue that the chips are due to bad design as it was rectified on the B8.5

Reactions: feva
One could argue that the chips are due to bad design as it was rectified on the B8.5[/QUOTE

I did mention this but he said the car would have been cover if under three years old. It's like getting blood out a stone lol

Reactions: xpoweruk
I spoke with them again yesterday and there not willing to budge on the price as the quote was from Audi HQ rather from the garage I was using. They said that the rust was due to stone chips and if the car had been under three year old then they would have repaired the car for free under warranty but since mine is a 2009 and it's damage caused by wear and tear they are offering to pay 70 percent of the repair cost's which I still think is hugely inflated.

I can afford to run the car that's not a problem at all the car is used as my daily driver due to the good fuel economy I just can't spend that amount of money right now as the car is needing serviced and new summer tires in the next few month.

I will probably go ahead with there work as I spoke to a good local body shop and for them to repair and respray the original wings will cost roughly 500 quid so am better going to Audi and getting bran new wings. I was just hoping to pay at least half of what I am getting quoted

Can you go back to them and say you will get the work done elsewhere and provide them with a quote/invoice for the work and get them to pay 70% :)

No update from Audi yet, I tried calling them on Friday, said they'd call me back. Nothing.

Called them yesterday explaining that I've been trying to speak to "Tom" all weekend, said he wasn't available and will call me back - nothing, again.

Getting very frustrated now.

So Audi have got back to me and said it's not covered but they're willing to cover 70% of the repair cost and I've got to pay £550.

My friend who owns a body shop said he'd do it for me if I supplied the parts and paint so weighing up whichever is cheaper.

Great, just noticed there some starting on mine. Suppose I better get it booked in for an inspection. Assume you don't have to pay for the inspection?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great, just noticed there some starting on mine. Suppose I better get it booked in for an inspection. Assume you don't have to pay for the inspection?

Nah it's completely free, don't expect it to be covered though, expect the exact same results I got, £550 bill which is 30% of the cost to repair

Will take it anyway. Always worth a try.
Plan on changing tyres in the next few weeks so will get wheel alignment done as well. If they want ££££ for the wings I'll leave it and get done myself at a later date. I'm sure they'll find plenty of other faults as well .

Mines a 2010 on 56k with full dealer service until Dec 2015. (So fsh I assume on long life)
And twice by me in the last year every 6k

Shouldn't have any faults with that mileage, I had full Audi service history on mine and they wouldn't cover it, so good luck.

gLj4Vs2.jpg

Ive got something similar on my B8.5 drivers side. Although a lot smaller. Should really touch it in tbh.

looks lie your stone guard is damaged in the pic

Hi all,

Reporting back after I've had the work done by Nottingham Audi, they gave me a lovely 66 plate A4 Avant to use for a few days whilst they had mine at no extra charge, only a 2.0 TDI but the cool toys took up most of my time in the car, wouldn't mind one in the future actually!

Very happy with the result, you can't tell at all that it's brand new paint, I was told they blended the doors as well. Paid £450 in the end which is £100 less than they told me over the phone which made me happier still.

Asked them not to put the V6T badges back on and put my own Supercharged badges on too which look a lot cooler. Here's a couple of pics:

IMG_0861_zpsfiq7fijj.jpg~original
IMG_0859_zpsb9isrqbr.jpg~original

IMG_0904_zpsxxkaxcxc.jpg~original
IMG_0903_zpsnhcmzjql.jpg~original

Reactions: Klickflip, xpoweruk, feva and 1 other person
Have you added some protection to the new wings to stop it happening again?

Just thought I'd add to this thread as been at Audi Edinburgh today to get S-tronic oil change and got them to look at my front wheel arches paint chipping and surface rust on my newly acquired 2010 A4 avant quattro.

Which from others posting would seem as a bigger amount of chipping corrosion and longer up the arches and more purely on inside fold than outer, it's a good 4binches up on both. But the rust has not started properly eating away at the metal yet, more mild surface rust.
- will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Service manager agreeed that Audi are not as good as before for the galvanising. As I explained my old 1999 A3 T sport which I had up to 12 years old had no rust , and my neighbours 30 year old 80 coupe Quattro has better front arches than my 6 1/2 year old A4 !!
So they took pictures and sent report off to Audi. As expected they couldn't add or advise any more. Apart from if they think it is woth sending report to Audi HQ, then something is wrong in their eyes, which they acknowledged that it isn't right for car of my age. Which is promising or better than being fobbed off!
So we shall see in a couple of weeks what the out come is , and will post.

Reactions: xpoweruk
Just thought I'd add to this thread as been at Audi Edinburgh today to get S-tronic oil change and got them to look at my front wheel arches paint chipping and surface rust on my newly acquired 2010 A4 avant quattro.

Which from others posting would seem as a bigger amount of chipping corrosion and longer up the arches and more purely on inside fold than outer, it's a good 4binches up on both. But the rust has not started properly eating away at the metal yet, more mild surface rust.
- will try to post pictures tomorrow.

Service manager agreeed that Audi are not as good as before for the galvanising. As I explained my old 1999 A3 T sport which I had up to 12 years old had no rust , and my neighbours 30 year old 80 coupe Quattro has better front arches than my 6 1/2 year old A4 !!
So they took pictures and sent report off to Audi. As expected they couldn't add or advise any more. Apart from if they think it is woth sending report to Audi HQ, then something is wrong in their eyes, which they acknowledged that it isn't right for car of my age. Which is promising or better than being fobbed off!
So we shall see in a couple of weeks what the out come is , and will post.

Good luck, expect the same result as me tbh, I hope you get a better result though!

Reactions: xpoweruk and Klickflip
You can fit the guards from the b8.5 to the b8 that will protect the bottom of the arches from stone chips and should stop them rusting again. Probably worthwhile as the paint is nice and fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rizzini7 and Klickflip
Not as bad.
But, Mine goes in on Monday to be repaired f.o.c

Not as bad as mine .. lucky and foc . I'm still waiting on call back , think they've forgotten about it as called last two days and no one is ever available to speak , and was assured a message would be left for them and they would call back ....

Not as bad as mine .. lucky and foc . I'm still waiting on call back , think they've forgotten about it as called last two days and no one is ever available to speak , and was assured a message would be left for them and they would call back ....

EXACTLY the same situation I had, no one calls you back when promised and you can't get through to anyone. You get a reply eventually, took me about 5 weeks.

Where do you get the guards from @GaryDe ?

I first took my to be examined on the 23/3 so took them a while. Warranty lady that took photos said there's a back log from Germany sometimes on authorising work. I just e-mailed Audi UK last week to see what was happening and they contacted the dealer for an update. And as if by magic the next day they rang.

I've had a quick google:
The part numbers for the b8.5 guards are 8K0 853 823 and 8K0 853 824 appear to need a little mod to fit. Probably going to order some and dare I say possibly some mud flaps . Roads are rough around my way

Also messaged the dealer telling them I don't want the v6t badges and asked for a price on the supercharged ones

I first took my to be examined on the 23/3 so took them a while. Warranty lady that took photos said there's a back log from Germany sometimes on authorising work. I just e-mailed Audi UK last week to see what was happening and they contacted the dealer for an update. And as if by magic the next day they rang.

I've had a quick google:
The part numbers for the b8.5 guards are 8K0 853 823 and 8K0 853 824 appear to need a little mod to fit. Probably going to order some and dare I say possibly some mud flaps . Roads are rough around my way

Also messaged the dealer telling them I don't want the v6t badges and asked for a price on the supercharged ones

When I dropped the car off I asked for them not to put the V6T badges on and I bought my own on eBay, then I used a stencil you can download for alignment and they're fine. If you need the stencil I can send it over. Badges were only like £10 or something off ebay

Reactions: rizzini7
Yeah you're badges look good.
Might go with some eBay ones as they look fine.
Picked up a Matt black s4 one for the boot £4 of eBay and its great quality.
Mud flaps ordered. Probably going to try and fit the stone guards with them as well.
Hopefully I get a decent courtesy car to play with for the week

Yeah you're badges look good.
Might go with some eBay ones as they look fine.
Picked up a Matt black s4 one for the boot £4 of eBay and its great quality.
Mud flaps ordered. Probably going to try and fit the stone guards with them as well.
Hopefully I get a decent courtesy car to play with for the week

Let me know how you fit the stoneguards as ill probably do the same

Will do, I'll start off by paying my mate lol. But will watch and let you know. Safer in the long run.

The badges came back as £24.80 each from Audi
Will try a mate that works at TPS. Otherwise, eBay it is

Unrelated but,
Also asked for price on gb (manual) and diff oil change
"The price for your gear oil is £210 inc and the sports diff oil is £220.03 Inc."
No thanks, think I'll go elsewhere

Thoig
A wee update to my wing assessment ..
Edinburgh Audi are utter ***** when it comes to call backs and customer relations !

It's been a month now , and I have called them around 20+ times often 2 times a day - promised every time that someone will call back the same day , and they never.
The two people I've been dealing with are never available or off. Expressed my annoyance to the receptionist who understood and was probably sick of me phoning all the time , said to call Audi U.K. To get a response .

Audi U.K. Confirmed they'd received the photos from Edinburgh , but nothing has been done and does not appear to be in a que or even passed to the right department / person! So basically Audi have it but it's in no mans land, he called Edinburgh and found out some more .

I get the feeling that Edinburgh have to follow it up to get put into motion, which obviously they haven't.
I don't know how many messages there must have been left for the Edinburgh Customer servers agent and the Service manager I dealt with , but how the feck can they ignore 20+ messages and internal emails to follow it up and call the customer back .
Think I'll be putting a complaint it , tho not sure whether it will help or hinder my case!

Anyway, outcome is now Audi UK have assigned it a case number and has been passed to someone to evaluate if it will covered by goodwill. And these have a 48hr turnaround , so should know by Tuesday .

Plus when I went originally went to Edinburgh Audi. I was booked in for a S-Tronic service plus the wings looked at, when I got there they only had me booked in for the wings inspection. Luckily they managed to fit in the gearbox service but I was waiting from 10am to 4 pm! Plus I never actually got seen till 1.30.
All the shiny showroom and free coffee and biscuits cannot make the fact that they have utter crap customer service .. crazy.
Or maybe it's because I have 6 year old car and not picking up or buying a new one...

Result! :)

Just got a call back from Glasgow Audi body shop to say it will be covered 100% , and they will repair wings , sills and any other affected areas as well.
So well chuffed, and they'll call back with a date next week.

Looks like the last call to Audi UK did the job . The Glasgow manger actually said 6 weeks is quite quick for this to be asssed and authorised , many take much longer .
So anyone else with this problem , I'd suggest call Audi UK and it will quicken process up.

Reactions: ed1119 and rizzini7