Paint Rust?!

fearLesss

Reaction score
hey all,

Was washing my car today when the paint flaked off just behind the front wheel then it happened on the other side too!

Any help would be great, should I touch it up and clear coat it?

Quite sad now I can see it.

I would not touch it and take it straight to the Audi dealership as there is a 12 year rust guarantee (Providing you have not already tried to sort it yourself or caused it).

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/...nties/audi-warranty-terms-and-conditions.html

Body protection warranty
All current Audi vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against rust attacking the internal cavities of the bodywork for 12 years from the date of first registration.

The only preconditions are:

• The defect must be reported to a member of the Audi authorised network as soon as it is discovered. This must, of course, be within the warranty period
  • The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance, or by external perforation from the inside out
  • A member of the Audi authorised network must be advised about any perforation from the inside out immediately it is found
  • All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer’s technical guidelines, using only approved parts and materials, in order to maintain the original level of anti-corrosion protection

Even though it's second hand?

I've only owned the car a couple of months and properly detail the car and it was the power washer that took it off (I didn't go too close with it)

I haven't tried to fix it myself so should I drive to my local Audi dealership to have it looked at?

as far as I am aware it is the car that has the warentee not the owner.
I bought mine used and had it resprayed under the bodywork guarentee free by audi after the laquer paint peeled around the rear quarter window, was just a few weeks into my ownership, it had 80k on the clock too and was outside the 3 year period.. no quabbles they fixed it under the bodywork warentee. Give them a call :)

Reactions: RS5 JON
Who do I call exactly? If you could throw me the number that would be great.

Mine has 83 on the clock

Your local Audi dealer, i dont know whos your local but a quick google then pop in.

Booked in for tomorrow morning so will see then.

I hope it's covered cos I'll be very angry if it isn't

This is an issue with the B8, my 2010 avant had the same issue. The B8.5 has a different wheel arch protector that covers the rim prone to stone chips and then rust!

My S4 B8 took a direct strike from a stone etc last weekend, so I have some paint to grind down and paint the remaining two very small chips. I did buy the plastic shields, cut the peg off that passes through the hole in the B8.5 wing - but that was as far as I got, so maybe now paying the price! (if that strike was at that general area)

Take it to the dealer's,then when fixed fit the b8.5 arch protection.

No I part exchanged it for my b8.5 S4. I did have a similar issue with my mk5 golf gti and vw replaced the front wings without issue.

Dealer should cover as it is well within the warranty for such things.
The protection can be got from the dealer or try a part request on here and save a few quid

Dealer should cover as it is well within the warranty for such things.
The protection can be got from the dealer or try a part request on here and save a few quid
Thanks buddy, really worried me when I started washing my car today. Only had the car 2 month and this is the last thing I need.

Thanks buddy, really worried me when I started washing my car today. Only had the car 2 month and this is the last thing I need.

Keeps us informed as to what Audi say. I have bubbling on all arches and I'm considering putting it in to see if they will cover it.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've had my appointment today, the guy who came out to take pictures had seen it before on these cars.

He's sending it all off to Audi UK today but he said it could be anything from 2 days to 2 weeks to get a response but he said it's in their interest to cover it as a dealer as they'll get paid to do the work so he'll do all he can to get it sorted.

We'll see won't we.

Reactions: feva and xpoweruk
What did u say to Audi when u phoned to make the initial report?

Just said I have rust on both panels and want to claim under the warranty for it so they booked an appointment for me, a guy comes out and takes photos and gets your details and takes paint thickness measurements and sends you on your way

Nice1 I will phone them. How bad is yours? Do u have pics?
Worried mine isn't bad enough as its just bubbled. The paint isn't chipped yet!

gLj4Vs2.jpg

Just adding front mudflaps will negate most issues I think

Ah, these pictures reminded me where the B8.5 deflector fits, my "stone strike" was at half height, so just one of these things, it has been covered up now using a paint pencil!

Edit:- actually in my experience, fitting mudguards does not always work, I seem to remember causing that on wife's previous Polo 9N by fitting VW mud flaps all round, same on a previous Ford Fiesta.

Some you win, some you lose, so currently none of my cars have mudflaps fitted - though I did have a set for my old VW Passat 4Motion, had that car for just over 13 years, bought the mudflaps a few months prior to that, so these mudflaps sat on top of a "branch chopper upper" in the garage for all that time then got thrown in the boot when I sold the car!

Another Edit:- when I was really into fitting any new car with mudflaps, I was even into making up pads from painted steel with rubber bonded onto them to protect the wheel arch lip from getting its paint damaged when clamping mudflaps on (older Ford ones always came with U clamps).

Last edited:
I have rust on my boot lid, i took it into Audi and they agreed to repair/replace but I had to put 10% towards it, totalling £193, didn't know if that was them trying to get something out of me or if it was the norm

I have rust on my boot lid, i took it into Audi and they agreed to repair/replace but I had to put 10% towards it, totalling £193, didn't know if that was them trying to get something out of me or if it was the norm

If they were willing to pay for most of it that to me is admitting fault and should be paying for all of it, but at the same time £193 isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things so I could understand if you just paid it.

But it's a 12 year warranty against rust and other paint defects so how the hell can they expect anyone to pay anything towards it is beyond me. If my TV goes wrong within the first 5 years it will get repaired or replaced with no charge to me. That's what a warranty is. Isn't it?

I haven't as yet, I thought the same, a warrenty is a warrenty, it's not the money, more the principal, I've argued with the branch and I've argued with head office but the charge still stands, they seemed call the warrenty more of a good will gesture, as cars get older the percentage of contribution rises
Baffled me and I've not got them to budge

I haven't as yet, I thought the same, a warrenty is a warrenty, it's not the money, more the principal, I've argued with the branch and I've argued with head office but the charge still stands, they seemed call the warrenty more of a good will gesture, as cars get older the percentage of contribution rises
Baffled me and I've not got them to budge

So it was going to cost nearly £2000 to replace the tailgate? That's a lot.

How old is your car and when did you start the claiming process?

Its a 2009

They were just going to put a new tailgate on instead of fighting the rust and respraying so if I'm honest £193 is actually ok, but I was just angry that they call it a warrenty, to me it seems just more goodwill
It started a couple of months ago, after the initial consultation it took about 3 weeks to get back to me

Its a 2009

They were just going to put a new tailgate on instead of fighting the rust and respraying so if I'm honest £193 is actually ok, but I was just angry that they call it a warrenty, to me it seems just more goodwill
It started a couple of months ago, after the initial consultation it took about 3 weeks to get back to me

Sounds identical to my situation, I hope they get back to me quicker than that though, I'm really impatient.

My car is a 2008 and has 160k on the clock so can't see Audi contributing more than 50% lol

They wanted me to pay 30% to respray the roof on my a3, was around £300 and the car was 9 years old at the time. Despite the fact that the rust on 8l roofs was a design flaw. Not many people get lucky enough to actually claim of the "warranty" they always seem to worm their way out of it

If they contribute a significant amount like 90% towards the repair then I'll be inclined to go ahead with that, if not its some 2nd hand salvage wings and a trip to my mates bodyshop which will probably cost more.

I just posted a new thread earlier and I have similar issues to you both my front fenders are rusting in the same area and they want me to pay 30 percent of the repair cost totalling in at 485 quid!!!

I just posted a new thread earlier and I have similar issues to you both my front fenders are rusting in the same area and they want me to pay 30 percent of the repair cost totalling in at 485 quid!!!

Mileage / Age / Service history?

Mine is a 2009 with 66k on the clock but it doesn't have full Audi service history

I saw your post, £485 is a lot of money, they're saying its £1600 to replace the front fenders, they're like £200 each new from Audi and to have them painted is around the same so you could probably do it yourself for less lol.

Mines 2010 84K Full Audi Service history so I'm hoping they're a bit better with me than they have been to you, I haven't got a spare £485 knocking around.