Paint protection film & insurance

Cooper82

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
New to the forum and patiently waiting for an Audi A5 Coupe.
Currently have an Audi Q5 black and after a couple of months of ownership notice many stone chips and light scratches that are quite visible as the colour doesn’t help.
Thinking of adding paint protection film to the A5 but unsure on what price I should expect to pay for it. Looking for a place close to Croydon/Bromley.
Another query I have is regarding insurance. Could the paint protection film be covered by a car insurance provider? As I am assuming it may cost around £2k I would prefer my insurance to cover it in case of an accident and replacement needed.
Any help would be appreciated.

Best call your insurance provider but l dare say insuring the PPF will increase your insurance premium but should be well worth it incase of the worst happening
£2k should pay for the bonnet, bumper and 2 wings,probably what these panels would cost to get resprayed lol

Reactions: Cooper82
Best call your insurance provider but l dare say insuring the PPF will increase your insurance premium but should be well worth it incase of the worst happening
£2k should pay for the bonnet, bumper and 2 wings,probably what these panels would cost to get resprayed lol
I am with Admiral and I assume they won’t cover any modifications. I am keen on changing to a different provider anyway but not sure which one to chose. Attempted to get a quote from Adrian flux but they didn’t reply to my messages once the quote was provided.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I am with Admiral and I assume they won’t cover any modifications. I am keen on changing to a different provider anyway but not sure which one to chose. Attempted to get a quote from Adrian flux but they didn’t reply to my messages once the quote was provided.

I did consider ppf but went on a holiday instead, l have two bad stonechips on my bonnet, my cars only covered 4k miles, the second stonechip only happened this morning, it came off the tyres of a car/van on the other side of the dual carriageway, it was the only vehicle on the blooming road at 05-30.. Hows that for bad luck, even considering this l don't regret not getting the PPF as the panels covered by the PPF don't have the lustre/gloss plus l can disguise the chips with cornel painting pen of which l am waiting delivery of from the good old USA

Reactions: T-800 and Cooper82
I didn't tell my insurance when I had PPF and they refused to cover cost of repacement when I had an accident. Still covered the rest though.

Maybe I am over reacting to light scratches and stone chips. If the car insurance is unable to replace the PPF after an accident it may not be worth it.

Maybe I am over reacting to light scratches and stone chips. If the car insurance is unable to replace the PPF after an accident it may not be worth it.
If you do decide to get it done l would only get the bonnet and front bumper done but some of these company's charge a arm and a leg for PPF

@Rubensolo changed to Admiral when I had my A4 B7 remapped (+20% bhp) and only increased the premium by a modest amount so they may be more approachable than you think.

@Rubensolo changed to Admiral when I had my A4 B7 remapped (+20% bhp) and only increased the premium by a modest amount so they may be more approachable than you think.
Thanks for that. I will call them and request information regarding the paint protections film.

Reactions: scotty76
If you do decide to get it done l would only get the bonnet and front bumper done but some of these company's charge a arm and a leg for PPF
I have been quoted around £1500 for the front and rear bumper. No need to do the sides?

I have been quoted around £1500 for the front and rear bumper. No need to do the sides?
Rear bumper??? Never had a stone chip on a car in this area bonnet is a must before any other panels mate

Reactions: NevMan and Cooper82
Awright jassyo6..how you doing bud.
Regarding the topic above, when my car was in a slight bump last year, not my fault mind, I had the full front end of my PFF replaced and ceramic coated, all covered by the insurance.
And that was Admiral and when I first had it installed I never phoned the insurance to tell them about it.
Don’t get me wrong I had to show them a copy of the original invoice when it had been installed the first time but it was all covered by them.
Is it worth having PPF!!! Yea defo I’d say.
Still though...holidays better.

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Awright jassyo6..how you doing bud.
Regarding the topic above, when my car was in a slight bump last year, not my fault mind, I had the full front end of my PFF replaced and ceramic coated, all covered by the insurance.
And that was Admiral and when I first had it installed I never phoned the insurance to tell them about it.
Don’t get me wrong I had to show them a copy of the original invoice when it had been installed the first time but it was all covered by them.
Is it worth having PPF!!! Yea defo I’d say.
Still though...holidays better.
Hi mate you one a watch with Admiral then covering your ppf hope your still enjoying the RS3

Yeah ceramics can be applied on top of the PPF
If I try to do PPF and ceramic coating that will be a lot of holidays to be missed within the next couple of years!
I was thinking of ceramic coating as an alternative to PPL. I am aware that it does not protect the vehicle from stone chips.

If I try to do PPF and ceramic coating that will be a lot of holidays to be missed within the next couple of years!
I was thinking of ceramic coating as an alternative to PPL. I am aware that it does not protect the vehicle from stone chips.
It's really up to yourself mate just go with the PPF you'll be able to apply a ceramic coating a bit later when funds allow, ppf is good stuff wish l had applied to my bonnet and l still might do

It's really up to yourself mate just go with the PPF you'll be able to apply a ceramic coating a bit later when funds allow, ppf is good stuff wish l had applied to my bonnet and l still might do
Cheers for that. Still pondering but more incline to the PPF now.

Rubensolo, sorry to jump in so late in the discussion. In Scotland at least, £2k(ish) buys a front end PPF (bumper, bonnet, wings, mirrors) on an A5 sized car, Gtechniq ceramic coating on the rest with a coating of Gtechniq Exo over everything (so the PPF and the paint appear virtually identical in terms of gloss and how they repel water). The wheels, glass & interior also have Gtechniq treatments applied. Incidentally, the PPF I've used is Expel Ultimate which I'm delighted with. Finally, I contacted my insurer (Aviva) after fitting and they told me that they would pay to have these treatments replaced in the event of a claim - there was no additional premium. Hope this helps.

Reactions: NevMan and Cooper82
Rubensolo, sorry to jump in so late in the discussion. In Scotland at least, £2k(ish) buys a front end PPF (bumper, bonnet, wings, mirrors) on an A5 sized car, Gtechniq ceramic coating on the rest with a coating of Gtechniq Exo over everything (so the PPF and the paint appear virtually identical in terms of gloss and how they repel water). The wheels, glass & interior also have Gtechniq treatments applied. Incidentally, the PPF I've used is Expel Ultimate which I'm delighted with. Finally, I contacted my insurer (Aviva) after fitting and they told me that they would pay to have these treatments replaced in the event of a claim - there was no additional premium. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that. Still undecided about it. The detailer suggested that it might not be worth for an A5 as the front could be respray for a quarter of the price of the film. I am definitely going for a ceramic coating. Delivery is hopefully taking place next week.
I am unlikely to keep the vehicle after the 4th year which is also why I am not sure if the film is worth it.

Thanks for that. Still undecided about it. The detailer suggested that it might not be worth for an A5 as the front could be respray for a quarter of the price of the film. I am definitely going for a ceramic coating. Delivery is hopefully taking place next week.
I am unlikely to keep the vehicle after the 4th year which is also why I am not sure if the film is worth it.
Agreed - the PPF is expensive and is really only economically viable over the longer term, when you might be looking at a couple of visits to the paintshop. For me however, it helps to keep my OCD in check, especially as I live in a rural area which seems to have lots of loose chippings on fast roads. PPF probably wouldn't be required if the car lived in the city year round. For sure, the ceramic coating provides great peace of mind against normal wear & tear (wash damage, sun, bird droppings, tree sap, etc). Enjoy your new car!

Reactions: NevMan
Agreed - the PPF is expensive and is really only economically viable over the longer term, when you might be looking at a couple of visits to the paintshop. For me however, it helps to keep my OCD in check, especially as I live in a rural area which seems to have lots of loose chippings on fast roads. PPF probably wouldn't be required if the car lived in the city year round. For sure, the ceramic coating provides great peace of mind against normal wear & tear (wash damage, sun, bird droppings, tree sap, etc). Enjoy your new car!
I am also getting a bit OCD with the current car afraid of stone chips. I do a lot of motorway drive which I am still pondering about it.

I am also getting a bit OCD with the current car afraid of stone chips. I do a lot of motorway drive which I am still pondering about it.
In that case, perhaps consider just the 'bra' - should be a lot cheaper and provides protection for the most highly exposed areas. See the sketches from Paintshield's website to see what I'm talking about - http://www.paintshield.co.uk/kits.php?kit=standard. However, there will be a very faint line running the width of the bonnet - colour and viewing angle can determine how noticeable this is. Personally, I don't think it's a big problem, especially when you know why its there. Ultimate Shine Autos in Stirling is my detailer and they only fit bras to the Rolls Royces (!) in their private hire company - it looks fine.

Thanks for all the comments. Looking at my budget I may go ahead with the PPF and coating. Any disadvantages of applying coating on top of the film? Or just overkill?

Thanks for all the comments. Looking at my budget I may go ahead with the PPF and coating. Any disadvantages of applying coating on top of the film? Or just overkill?
Your detailer will advise personally speaking there's all different types of ppf on the market now, all do things slightly different or better

Personally don't think it's overkill. With regard to Gtechniq products, I apply Exo over the ceramic coating and the PPF. That way, the gloss and water beading is virtually identical on both areas to the extent you won't even notice the PPF

Personally don't think it's overkill. With regard to Gtechniq products, I apply Exo over the ceramic coating and the PPF. That way, the gloss and water beading is virtually identical on both areas to the extent you won't even notice the PPF

How do you find the maintenance of it? Need to do more research on it. Just hoping it does not require expensive maintenance with too many additional products needed.

The longest I've had it on any 1 car is 2 years. Zero maintenance. It (the PPF) never even seems to require claying, whereas the ceramic does.

Rear bumper??? Never had a stone chip on a car in this area bonnet is a must before any other panels mate

Reversing at high speed maybe lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi there

I have full PPF on my RS3 and my current insurer ( Esure ) didn’t charge anymore for it

Stu

Thanks for all the feedback. All sorted now. I ended up with Aviva and they charge me £95 extra. I had my license for less than 6 months so I guess it is expected to be charge extra. Paint protection film is going to be fitted next week and ceramic coating next.

Reactions: scotty76
I did consider ppf but went on a holiday instead, l have two bad stonechips on my bonnet, my cars only covered 4k miles, the second stonechip only happened this morning, it came off the tyres of a car/van on the other side of the dual carriageway, it was the only vehicle on the blooming road at 05-30.. Hows that for bad luck, even considering this l don't regret not getting the PPF as the panels covered by the PPF don't have the lustre/gloss plus l can disguise the chips with cornel painting pen of which l am waiting delivery of from the good old USA

“ Cornel painting pen “ ......You’ve been watching Ammo NYC again @jassyo06 :friends:

“ Cornel painting pen “ ......You’ve been watching Ammo NYC again @jassyo06 :friends:

Hi mate....l use to like this guy.....but he's....too ****** anal....now,i liked his vids....when they where a little basic......but now he's on another planet....but yeah l clicked on this vid....lol

Reactions: NevMan