Paint correction product

robby

Reaction score
I've given my Akoya silver paint a machine polish using a DA with Merenza 203s and although it helped a bit it didn't remove the swirls/ small scratches.
I tried a medium pad and a hard (white) pad which made no difference.
These products worked miracles on my last car (Focus ST2) removing 95% of the swirls but with Audi having hard paint i'm wondering if i should be using another product?
I'm trying to remove the swirls, scratches and freshen up the paint, all paint has been clayed so a good surface

Any help appreciated

Cheers Neil they look ideal, have you tried them?

I've got a cupboard full of polishes, waxes, etc and i'm a bit miffed at buying so many other products that have been recomended to find they're all the same

I'll try these 2 and after that i'm back to the megs NXT :icon_thumright:

Tried them both, I swear by menzerna! the intensive polish they do is also a great product, got them all when I got my DAS 6. Hope it sorts that hard paint out for you buddy! You can spend a fortune on car care can't you! I've spent more than I care to mention, it's mostly trial and error at the end of the day, which is not the most economical. I feel your pain

I bought the DAS-6 from PB when they had the xmas deal - great bit of kit

did you manage to deswirl your paint with the products?

Did a very good job on my MX5, but that has soft paint, did that with intensive polish then final finish. This is the thread I did on CYC http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7619&highlight=mx5+correction achieved around 95% correction, just the RDS left but didn't want to have a go at those as I didnt have a paint depth guage. Not tackled the audi yet as its pretty good, but I will at some point. Just bought some finish kare 1000p sealant to do it with to, can't wait!

The issue that you will be having is that Audi paint is very hard and the DAs just don't create enough heat. Having said that, you will be surprised at the level of correction you can achieve with a DA like the G220.

Be careful with power gloss, I started using this after my rotary malfunctioned (just with the Porter Cable). It does cut very quickly even with a DA.

Remember, the key with correction is to start with the least aggressive polish/pad combo. The idea being that you correct with the least amount of paint removal.

Hmm, I'd caution against the use of the S100 Power Gloss unless the paint is severly swirled up - it's crazy aggressive and in all likelihood you will be able to complete the job without resorting to such aggression. What pads are you using? Pads are 50% of the polishing equation, and most people use pads that are too soft for the job in hand. Our stock advice for correcting Audi paint is as follows...

To correct swirl marks and other light to moderate defects (fine scratches and etching) on your car, we recommend conducting a two stage process starting with Menzerna RD3.02 in conjunction with Menzerna Polishing Pads (135 mm pads on a 125 mm backing plate for larger flatter areas, and 80 mm spot pads on a 75 mm backing plate for smaller more awkward areas). Working at around 4000-5000 orbits per minute (speed 4-5 on most dual action machine polishers) using light to moderate pressure should enable you to correct around 95% of the defects present in just 1-2 attempts per panel. To get an even higher level of correction, or to tackle any remaining deeper defects, you could switch to using Menzerna Compounding Pads (135 mm pads on a 125 mm backing plate for larger flatter areas, and 80 mm spot pads on a 75 mm backing plate for smaller more awkward areas). These offer even more cutting power, but are more awkward to use, as they are very firm and unyielding. With the correction stage done, we recommend following up with Menzerna 85RE in conjunction with Menzerna mm Finishing Pads (135 mm pads on a 125 mm backing plate for larger flatter areas, and 80 mm spot pads on a 75 mm backing plate for smaller more awkward areas). Working at around 4000-5000 orbits per minute (speed 4-5 on most dual action machine polishers) using light pressure should enable you to produce an ultra-sharp high gloss finish, which you should then protect using either a good quality sealant or wax.

In cases where RD3.02 on a Menzerna Compounding Pad (white) doesn't do the trick, the next step in our opinion is to switch to Meguiar's #105, as this offers more cut yet isn't anywhere near as mental as S100 (which can removes many, many microns of paint very, very quickly indeed!).

:sm4:

Hi Rich

I tried the white pad using the Merenza 203s (which was great for medium ford paint), used Blackfire GEP and Blackfire protective on top, followed up with Megs NXT

I'm forever buying new products (mainly from yourselves PB ) and they get tried once and not used again so instead of wasting more money i'm wanting 1 proper compound which will correct the swirls, haze to give a proper platform to just polish/ wax in the future

Cheers