1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pads needed 6 wks into ownership

Spiedhermonkey Aug 12, 2018 at 9:44 PM

1. Spiedhermonkey

Spiedhermonkey Active Member VCDS Map User

The brake pad warning came on today, just 6 weeks (1700 miles) after buying the car Used Approved, which was disappointing.

I don’t suppose I can say anything as it’s a wear & tear item and for all they know, I could have been round the Nurburgring in it.

Would everyone recommend EBC Yellow Stuff, which I’ve seen recommended on another thread? I don’t want ones that need to be warmed up before they are really effective.

The car didn’t tell me if it was front or back either, which I would have expected. Does it never tell you, or does it mean they all need doing?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Paul.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Stokka

Stokka Member

Mr Monkey, they go through a 145 MPC before they get used approved status, I would bring it back up with the dealer i would think there should be a minimal amount of pad left for it to be classed as fit for sale. You have nothing to lose, at all

Spiedhermonkey likes this.
  4. Spiedhermonkey

That’s a fair point, they can only say no. I have this week off work after tomorrow, so I’ll have a good chance to bring it up with them.

Cheers, Stokka.

5. marriedblonde

marriedblonde Well-Known Member

Worth a try but they will say fair wear and tear, they could have had the minimum pad surface and if you did a track day it would destroy the pads. Worth an ask though.

6. marriedblonde

Paul, for a purely road car I would go with the reds. I've run them in a variety of cars over the years and swapped the pads to Reds in my s6 after a few of weeks of driving it.

They work well from cold, produce little dust and whilst some people have said they can squeak its usually just the pad glazing over from little use and a few hard stops removes that and stops them squeaking.

J.

7. Spiedhermonkey

Great, thanks very much for that.

While shopping on the EBC site, the Red Stuff description did seem more suited to my needs, I was just hoping for confirmation from someone with more experience of them than me.

My old Audi A6 C6 used to specify whether it was front pads or rear pads. If it required both, it would bring both warnings up. Does the C7 not specify, or is it a requirement for all 4 to be changed simultaneously on AWD cars? This is my first Quattro, so still learning.

8. marriedblonde

I changed all because of the dust issue (mainly on the fronts). You can just change the fronts, or rears, they don;t all need to be done at the same time. My logic was if I am doing the fronts while I was at it I may as well do the rears. But on my 5 series and golf's I only ever did the fronts.

J.

9. Spiedhermonkey

I’ve phoned and left a message for the guy we dealt with to call me back tomorrow. 99% likely to tell me it passed the inspection and must have been normal wear since purchasing, but hey, worth the price of a phone call.

marriedblonde likes this.