Paddle Shifting Down

Fozzer

Reaction score
Im still getting use to paddle shifting on my new S3 but would like to ask about shifting down when you come to a halt.
When you come to a stop do you downshift to the first gear, by doing this I’m finding there is a bit of a jerk before you come to a halt.
I have found it better to downshift to second gear and then come to a halt letting the gearbox automatically drop down to the first gear on its own.
Interested in your thoughts please.

Last edited:
No jolt. Only real time I use paddles is in sport mode, so downshifting at around 10mph to 1st gear is absolutely fine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Fozzer
No jolt. Only real time I use paddles is in sport mode, so downshifting at around 10mph to 1st gear is absolutely fine.

The only time I use them is when I'm on a long straight road and I know it can go up a gear, but it's not doing it automatically! so I pop it up :)

You do get a slight jolt if shift too early. If you watch in auto it doesn’t shift from 2nd to 1st until 5 ish mph when slowing gradually.

The only time I use them is when I'm on a long straight road and I know it can go up a gear, but it's not doing it automatically! so I pop it up :)
Very true! Somehow feels more involved and fun :)

There is a jolt in any manual car too when shifting into 1st gear as it is pretty sensitive to revs, not sure if this is what you mean. Personally I never shift down into 1st and always let it do it by itself.

Reactions: oli356
There is a jolt in any manual car too when shifting into 1st gear as it is pretty sensitive to revs, not sure if this is what you mean. Personally I never shift down into 1st and always let it do it by itself.

It makes a good noise in dynamic shifting from 2 to 1 at about 3k :sunglasses:

Reactions: Timi8888
Personally I never shift down into 1st and always let it do it by itself.
Thanks, this is what I have started to do and feel more comfortable letting it do it automatically.